Subject: [magma] IGMP Enabling

From: rajasekar bonthala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:29:52 +0530

Is it a rule that IGMP should be enabled the moment IGMP parameter is
configured?

In my box, I found that there is a command called "ip igmp" to enable igmp.

But I also found that igmp is also getting enabled by another alternative
way, like configuring a IGMP protocol parameter
For example: "ip igmp query-interval 60" without executing the command "ip
igmp"

Is it an expected behaviour as per the IGMP standard?

Thanks,
RajaSekhar

---

From: Indranil Bhattacharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:48:02 +0530

Hi RajaSekhar,

                     It depends on your software. There is no specific rule
for this. Many boxes enable IGMP as part of PIM. Some boxes which are
targeted for access layer have specific cli to start igmp. Now that you have
a specific cli to start IGMP so it is fair to say that present behavior is
incorrect. You could also design something like: "ip igmp" enables both the
router and host side operations and cli for configuring local groups enables
only "host side". In the previous case a host side cli should enable igmp.

Thanks,
Indranil

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, rajasekar bonthala <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> magma mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma
>
>

---

From: Indranil Bhattacharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:48:02 +0530

Hi RajaSekhar,

Thanks,
Indranil

---

From: Kunal Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:30:24 -0500

Hi RajaSekhar,

    I think your question is more of an implementation question and I believe that the standard does not recommend a particular approach. One of the reasons for the observed behavior could be that since the timers are configured the protocol may as well start using them.

Kunal

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of rajasekar bonthala
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:00 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [magma] IGMP Enabling

Is it a rule that IGMP should be enabled the moment IGMP parameter is configured?

But I also found that igmp is also getting enabled by another alternative way, like configuring a IGMP protocol parameter
For example: "ip igmp query-interval 60" without executing the command "ip igmp"

Thanks,
RajaSekhar