Subject: RE: [Manet-dt] RE: Minor MANET Generic Message Format Comments

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:32:29 +0100

> #1) Chris (and others), how about switching the bits (bit0 and bit1)
> then the fields stay in the same place and I think everyone is happy.

I'm missing the point here. The issue over #1 is that the originator
address and the message sequence number, which stay or go together
based on a single bit (for sensible reasons) are separated by the
TTL (to be renamed hop limit, I think) and hop count. We're all agreed
that in an ideal world they'd be together, but this is OLSRv1 legacy
that some people (I'm one) want to keep, and the minor inconvenience
(more lack of aesthetics than a real inconvenience) of having them
separate isn't worth giving up the compatibility. But this is true
regardless of in which order the two bits are, and we have the bits
ordered so you use #0, then #1, then #0 again. I could argue this is
slightly better than reversing them, but really it makes no difference
which order they are in, so as I said, I don't see the point of the
change (and therefore might as well leave as is).

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Manet-dt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet-dt

---

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 07:41:41 -0700

Chris, my mistake - I didn't read close enough. I thought the two
fields were just reversed.

Does anyone else have a strong opinion to either keep the current
separated structure or to move the two items together?

Ian Chakeres