Subject: RE: [Manet-dt] PacketBB comments.

From: "Dearlove, Christopher \(UK\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:57:27 -0000

From: Thomas Clausen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>there exists an alternative multiplexing mechanism (message types).

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as multiplexing by message
type.

- More than one protocol may require the same message.
  (HELLO messages required by OLSRv2 and SMF, both extending
  NHDP.)

- More than one protocol may want to create the same message.
  Consider a scenario where OLSRv2 is extending HELLO messages
  with MPRs, and SMF is using a last-hop independent CDS
  algorithm. The common NHDP may create a HELLO message that
  both want to "decorate" with added TLVs. Then a security
  process wants to add a signature TLV (which must be last).

- Protocols may also require the packet header.

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Manet-dt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet-dt

---

From: Thomas Clausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:31:44 +0100

> Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as multiplexing by message

Quite right in general, however in the specific case of OLSRv2/v1/ 
v1.5 in mind, this is what we are talking about.

-- 
Thomas Clausen
[email-masked]
http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/Labo/Thomas.Clausen/
http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/hipercom/