Subject: [Manet-dt] DYMO RREQ flooding and super-flooding

From: Philippe Jacquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:32:36 +0200

Hello, folks,

I see in DYMO spec (5.3.4) that a RREQ message can be retransmitted 
several times by a node if it receives copies on shorter routes.

This reminds me the paper we did about this kind of super-flooding.

Comparative Study of Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
T. Clausen, P. Jacquet et L. Viennot
Med-hoc-Net, 2002

http://gyroweb.inria.fr/~viennot/postscripts/medhocnet2002sim.ps.gz

It gives the shortest path to OrigNode in hop count, but the number of 
retransmissions may be important and exceed the network size (can be 
quadratic in the network size per RREQ).

I wonder if one could also add other metrics than simply hop count. For 
example RREQ could seek the path with average shortest delay by adding 
the last hop average link delay to the current weight carried by the 
RREQ. The RREQ would carry a bit indicating that average shortest delay 
is activated). Or the RREQ could look to the largest bandwidth route (in 
this case one take the minimum of the last hop bandwidth with the weight 
carried by the RREQ.

Other metrics are possible (variance, etc).

Best regards,
Philippe

_______________________________________________
Manet-dt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet-dt