Subject: Open areas in setting up a working group

From: "Steve Batsell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 10:43:33 -0500

mmnet mailing list:

As you all know, a BOF was held at the December IETF meeting in Dallas, to set
up a working group in mobile mesh networks. The idea of the working group is to
standardize both unicast and multicast routing protocols specificly design for
operation in a mobile mesh environment where both the hosts and routers move.

Joel Halpern, the routing area chair, has requested that before we can start a
working group we need to bound the scope of the problem  we will be addressing
in the working group.  This will include:

1. How rapid the motion can be and still expect the routing protocol to work?

< We covered several cases at Dallas including flooding>

2. How large an area must the protocol operate over?

3. How many nodes are expected to be in this area?

4. What type of hierarchy will be imposed on the system?

< The Army has a specific hierarchy they wish to operate within.>

While the orginal purpose of this working group was to specifically address the
military's need for a mobile mesh routing protocol standard both for unicast
and multicast, the working group should also address what commercial
applications would benefit/ require mobile mesh routing?  This is particularly
important as significant cost savings can be realized if commercial companies
in particular commercial routing companies were to implement these protocols in
a mobile router that DOD could purchase off the shelf.

As the discussion on the mailing list has been delayed, we have not made enough
progress to become a working group yet. If we feel we can sufficiently scope
the effort, Joel wopuld entertain holding a second BOF meeting at LA (March).
Alternately we could wait until the June meeting. I would like input from
everybody on this.

Getting this mailing list kicked off has been slowed for a number of reasons.
In January I moved from the Naval Research Lab to become the Networking
Research Group Leader at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Please note my new
email address, [email-masked].

--
Steve Batsell
Networking Research Group Leader
MS  6367, Bldg 6012
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN 37831
423-574-7401 (phone)
423-574-0680 (Fax)
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph P. Macker)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 96 12:45:10 EST

>Alternately we could wait until the June meeting. I would like input from

Steve/mmnet group, 

My initial vote is to hold off until June so that we may further
discuss/define the focus of this effort.  I am willing to meet in LA if we
decide it is a good thing. If we postpone until June, we can use the time
to kick up more active technical exchange on this mailing list.

-Joe

    _/      _/ _/_/_/_/  _/       Joseph P. Macker, Code 5544
   _/_/    _/ _/     _/ _/        Naval Research Laboratory
  _/  _/  _/ _/_/_/_/  _/         Center for High Assurance Computer Systems
 _/    _/_/ _/   _/   _/          [email-masked]
_/      _/ _/     _/ _/_/_/_/     http://torrant.itd.nrl.navy.mil/macker.html