Subject: Next step towards a working group

From: Steve Batsell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:34:04 -0500

mmnet:

I have been in contact with Joel Halpern [IETF Routing Area Chair] about
what the next step should be in stepping up the working group
on mobile mesh routing. As you probably all know we did not meet at the
LA IETF meeting earlier this month. I am planning on holding a second
BOF at the Summer meeting in Montreal. I expect that we will have
resolved the scoping of the group issue raised at the last BOF in Dallas
before then. I also need feedback on the charter before the meeting. The
old draft charter is available by anonymous ftp from
mars.itd.nrl.navy.mil in the mmnet directory. 

At the last BOF, I focused the meeting on DOD requirements and had a
speaker from each service talk. At this BOF I want to focus on
commercial application, how Mobile Mesh Networking can impact the
Internet, why it is important to have a mobile mesh working group. The
goal of this BOF is to get a working group started. I need speaker who
will help build the rationale for getting a working group. Anyone that
is interested speaking, please email me. Remember this working group is
separate from Mobile IP and should not overlap. Mobile mesh network
focuses on a subnetwork- routers, host etc - that move but are connected
at one or more gateways back to the Internet. As a routing area working
group, we will focus on routing protocols to accomplish this. 

-- 
Steve Batsell, Network Research Group Leader
MS  6367, Bldg 6012, 
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831
423-574-7401 (phone)
423-574-0680 (Fax)
[email-masked]
http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~sgb/net.html