Subject: Some Comments : draft RFC

From: [email-masked] (C. Toh)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 13:17 BST

Here are some comments :
------------------------
Where are the application viewpoints ?

> Examples of Mobile Mesh Networks ..
  Better to explain if we are dealing with local or wide area basis..

> 3.1 Use of Event-Driven Routing for Quick Adaptation Agree.
  Quick Adaption must be done in an efficient way.

>Event-driven mechanisms should
 be used the vast majority of the time to quickly and efficiently
 react to topological changes, while timer-based soft-state mechanisms
 are used to "soften" this hard state permitting its eventual clean up
 following rare error situations

	Agree.

>3.3 Shortest-Path Routing (Is it worth the cost?)

	What about computation and implementation complexities ?

> In a rapidly changing topology, it is likely
   that the topology will change again before a shortest-path
   computation can converge.

	Perhaps in the RFC, specification to the degree of
  mobility considered should be spelled out. Are we considering
  from pedestrian speed to vehicular speeds ?

>   Here, routing optimality of secondary importance; what matters is
   simply finding one or more routes quickly, with minimal overhead.

	`are' of secondary importance...

The RFC mentions about multicast routing, reservation-based routing 
and congestion avoidance. I haven't really quite get it. How are all
these related specifically to an ad-hoc network ? Maybe more details
are needed ?

The QoS aspects are not clear. Maybe a paragraph on defining
QoS for ad-hoc networks will be useful ?

Lastly, regarding the application aspects, don't you guys see
the benefit of nomadic collaborative computing ?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

  C-K Toh, Cambridge University Computer Laboratory,
 New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG. 
     E-Mail : [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------
URL : http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/ct10000/index.html
------------------------------------------------------
  Tel : 44 01223 335444  Fax : 44 01223 334678
------------------------------------------------------