Subject: Call for Papers: MobiCom'97 -- submissions due April 21

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 97 14:23:01 EST

Announcement and Call for Papers

                 THIRD ACM/IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
              MOBILE COMPUTING AND NETWORKING 1997 (MobiCom'97)

    Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE and SIGCOMM, IEEE Communications Society,
                   and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences

                           September 26-30, 1997
                             Budapest, Hungary

 The wireless communication revolution is bringing fundamental changes
 to telecommunication and computing.  Wide-area cellular systems and
 wireless LANs promise to make integrated networks a reality and provide
 fully distributed and ubiquitous mobile computing and communications,
 thus bringing an end to the tyranny of geography.  Furthermore, services
 for the mobile user are maturing and are poised to change the nature and
 scope of communication.  This conference, the third of an annual series,
 serves as the premier international forum addressing networks, systems,
 algorithms, and applications that support the symbiosis of mobile
 computers and wireless networks.

 PAPERS:

 Technical papers describing previously unpublished, original, completed
 research, not currently under review by another conference or journal,
 are solicited on topics at the link layer and above.  Possible topics
 include, but are not limited to:

    * Applications and computing services supporting mobile users
    * Network architectures, protocols or service algorithms to cope with
      mobility, limited bandwidth, or intermittent connectivity
    * Design and analysis of algorithms for mobile environments
    * Security, scalability and reliability for mobile/wireless systems
    * Performance of mobile/wireless networks and systems
    * Network management for mobile and wireless networks
    * Data management in mobile computing
    * Integration and interworking of wired and wireless networks
    * Influence of lower layers on the design and performance of
      higher layers
    * Mobile network protocols
    * Mobile computing
    * Mobile agents
    * Power management
    * Wireless multimedia systems
    * Satellite communication
    * Location-dependent applications
    * Distributed system aspects of mobile systems
    * Adaptive applications interfaces for mobile systems
    * Architectures of mobile/wireless networks and systems
    * Traffic integration for mobile applications

 All papers will be refereed by the program committee.  Accepted papers
 will be published in the conference proceedings.  Papers of particular
 merit will be selected for publication in the ACM/Baltzer journals
 Wireless Networks (WINET) and Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET).

 HOW TO SUBMIT:

 All paper submission will be handled electronically.  Authors
 should E-mail a PostScript version of their full paper to
 [email-masked].  This E-mail address will become
 operational on March 1, 1997.  In order to ensure that the PostScript
 versions of the papers can be printed, authors should be careful that
 their papers meet the following restrictions:

    * PostScript version 2 or later.
    * No longer than 15 pages.
    * Fits properly on "US Letter" size paper (8.5x11 inches).
    * Reference only Computer Modern or standard Adobe printer fonts
      (i.e., Courier, Times Roman, or Helvetica); other fonts may be
      used but must be included in the PostScript file.

 In addition, authors should separately E-mail the title, author
 names and full address, and abstract of their paper to the Program
 Chairs, David Johnson ([email-masked]) and Christopher Rose
 ([email-masked]).  All submitted papers will be judged based
 on their quality through double-blind reviewing, where the identities
 of the authors are withheld from the reviewers.  Authors' names should
 not appear on the paper or in the PostScript file.

 TUTORIALS:

 Proposals for tutorials are solicited.  Evaluation of proposals will
 be based on the expertise and experience of the instructors, and on the
 relevance of the subject matter.  Potential instructors are requested to
 submit a tutorial proposal of at most 5 pages, including a biographical
 sketch, to the Tutorial Chair, Wassim Matragi ([email-masked]).

 PANELS:

 Panels are solicited that examine innovative, controversial, or
 otherwise provocative issues of interest.  Panel proposals should not
 exceed 3 pages, including biographical sketches of the panelists.
 Potential panel organizers should contact the Publicity Chair,
 Sirin Tekinay ([email-masked]).

 STUDENT PARTICIPATION:

 Papers with a student as a primary author will be considered for
 a cash award of $500 US Dollars for the best student paper.
 A cover letter must identify the paper as a candidate for the
 student paper competition.

 IMPORTANT DATES:

 Submissions due:                      April 21, 1997
 Notification of acceptance:           June 30, 1997
 Camera-ready version due:             August 15, 1997

 FOR MORE INFORMATION:

 Please contact either of the Program Co-Chairs: David Johnson,
 [email-masked], Tel: +1 412 268 7399, Fax: +1 412 268 5576; or
 Christopher Rose, [email-masked], Tel: +1 908 445 5250,
 Fax: +1 908 445 2820.

 This Call For Papers, as well as other MobiCom'97 information, is
 available on the Web at http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/~mobicom97/ and
 on the ACM SIGMOBILE Home Page at http://www.acm.org/sigmobile/.

 CONFERENCE COMMITTEE:

 General Co-Chairs:                    Program Co-Chairs:

   Laszlo Pap                            David B. Johnson
   Technical Univ. of Budapest (HU)      Carnegie Mellon University (US)
   Department of Telecommunications      Computer Science Department
   [email-masked]                   [email-masked]

   Kazem Sohraby                         Christopher Rose
   Bell Laboratories (US)                Rutgers University (US)
   Lucent Technologies                   Department of ECE / WINLAB
   [email-masked]                    [email-masked]

 General Vice Chair:                   Program Vice Chair:

   Parviz Kermani                        Maurizio Bonuccelli
   IBM T.J. Watson (US)                  University of Pisa (IT)
   [email-masked]                [email-masked]

 Tutorial Chair:                       Publicity Chair:

   Wassim Matragi                        Sirin Tekinay
   Lucent Technologies (US)              Lucent Technologies (US)
   [email-masked]                     [email-masked]

 Local Chair:                          Treasurer:

   Andras Pataricza                      Svetislav Maric
   Technical Univ. of Budapest (HU)      University of Cambridge (UK)
   [email-masked]                    [email-masked]

 Local Vice Chair:                     Steering Committee Chair:

   Gyorgy Pongor                         Imrich Chlamtac
   Technical Univ. of Budapest (HU)      Boston University (US)
   [email-masked]                     [email-masked]

 Program Committee:

   Prathima Agrawal, AT&T Labs (US)      Zygmunt Haas, Cornell (US)
   Ian Akyildiz, Georgia Tech. (US)      Joachim Hagenauer, T.U. Munich (DE)
   Rafael Alonso, Sarnoff (US)           Pierre Humblet, Eurecom (FR)
   B.R. Badrinath, Rutgers (US)          Ravi Jain, Bellcore (US)
   Victor Bahl, DEC (US)                 Jay Kistler, DEC SRC (US)
   Mary Baker, Stanford (US)             Jason Yi-Bing Lin, NCTU (TW)
   Amotz Bar-Noy, Tel Aviv Univ. (IL)    Charles Perkins, Sun (US)
   Ramon Caceres, AT&T Labs (US)         Ray Pickholtz, GWU (US)
   Ray Chaudhuri, NEC (US)               Stephen Pink, SICS (SE)
   Imrich Chlamtac, Boston Univ. (US)    Krishan Sabnani, Bell Labs (US)
   Gyula Csopaki, T.U. Budapest (HU)     Srinivasan Seshan, IBM Watson (US)
   Nigel Davies, Univ. Lancaster (UK)    Martha Steenstrup, BBN (US)
   Maurizio Decina, CEFRIEL (IT)         Marvin Theimer, Xerox PARC (US)
   J.J. Garcia-Luna, UCSC (US)           Roy Yates, Rutgers (US)
   Laszlo Gyorfi, T.U. Budapest (HU)     On-Ching Yue, Bell Labs (US)