Subject: CFP - IEEE JSAC issue on Wireless Ad Hoc Networks

From: Zygmunt Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 08:59:17 -0400 (AST)

==================================================================================
      				CALL  FOR  PAPERS

			IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 
			   Special issue on  Wireless Ad Hoc Networks

Traditional wireless and mobile networks are based on cellular network infrastructures;
mobile nodes communicate with centralized entities (i.e., the base-stations), which 
serve as point of wireless access to a fixed network. In contrast, ad hoc networks 
represent a different communication paradigm, which is not dependent on any preexisting
infrastructure. Thus, ad hoc networks can be rapidly deployed, without prior planning 
and in unknown radio propagation conditions. In ad hoc networks, communications between
adjacent nodes is allowed, giving rise to multi-hop routing. The topology of ad hoc 
networks is distributed. Nodes in an ad hoc network can migrate freely, joining, 
leaving, and rejoining the network often, without warning, and without disruption to 
communication between other nodes. The challenges in the design of ad hoc networks stem
from the lack of centralized entities, from the multi-hop mode of communication, and 
from the fact that all communication is carried over the wireless medium.
Ad hoc networks have long been considered for the military tactical communication 
environment under the more familiar name of Packet Radio Networks. Recently, however, 
use of ad hoc networking technology in commercial systems has been investigated. For 
example, one may consider such applications as law enforcement, rescue missions, 
virtual classrooms, or local area networks.
 
We are seeking papers that describe original and unpublished contributions addressing 
various aspects of ad hoc networking technology. Possible topics of interest (strictly 
related to ad hoc networks) include, but are not limited to:

	* physical layer issues			* node implementation 
	* MAC schemes				* energy-conserving protocols 
	* self-organizing topologies		* effects on existing protocols 
	* routing protocols			* quality of service 
	* mobility management 			* multicasting 
	* integration with wired networks	* multimedia and traffic integration 
	* applications				* experiments and testbeds 
	* security
	
Guest Editors for this issue are:
			Prof. Mario Gerla, UCLA
			Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas, Cornell University
			Prof. David B. Johnson, CMU
			Mr. Charles E. Perkins, SUN Microsystems
			Prof. Michael B. Pursley, Clemson University
			Dr. Martha E. Steenstrup, BBN Technologies
			Dr. C-K. Toh, Hughes Research Labs

Send 5 copies of your double-spaced contributions, printed according to the JSAC 
publication guidelines, by physical mail to:
			Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas
			School of Electrical Engineering
			Wireless Networks Laboratory
			323 Frank Rhodes Hall
			Cornell University
			Ithaca, NY 14853, U.S.A

All inquiries should be sent to: [email-masked]

The schedule for the issue is as follows:
			Submission deadline: 		May 15, 1998
			Acceptance decisions:		September 1, 1998
			Final manuscript due:		October 15, 1998
			Expected publication date:	First Quarter of 1999
==================================================================================