Subject: RE: Call for Comments on Issues ID

From: "Bora A. Akyol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:15:58 -0700

Regarding Reactive Routing:

I believe it is also possible to combine parts of reactive and proactive
routing (traditional) in a hybrid manner. This is what ZRP tries to do.
I also think that although the focus here is in Mobile AD-Hoc networks
we also need to worry about how these networks are going to interoperate
with Ultra-High Altitute and Satellite platforms as well as the larger Internet.
Are we going to insert Interworking Boxes in between the MANETs and
the other networks or can we agree on a unified routing protocol that can
ADAPT itself to its environment. Of course this assumes that we can
reach down from the routing process and figure out the network type but
that should be easy. Sometimes I think that the layered structure limits us.

Thanks for listening

Bora

---

From: Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:31:23 -0500 (EST)

One recent commentor asked about interowrking with other styles of
networks, with the implication that the technology "should" apply to
"everything".
Unless you want a massive problem, the only practical approach is that at
the MANET border (typically part of the conventional network) is a router
that speaks both conventional tecniques and MANET techniques.
The other useful case is where one is not connected at all.
The case where the rest of the world has "adopted" MANET strategies is
both unlikely and less interesting.

Note: This may still leave room depending upon what problems you feel need
solved, for moderately large sale MANETs.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern                         [email-masked]
Newbridge Networks Inc.