Subject: NS mobility extensions?

From: Per Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 23:57:23 +0100

Hi,
(I don't know if this is the proper way of communicating my questions.
If not, I apologize.)

I'm currently preparing a simulation project on ad-hoc network routing
for two master students. It seems like the NS environment is widely
accepted by the MANET group to form the basis for routing protocol
evaluations (or?).
Anyway, we consider to use NS in our project since a number of studies
on mobile/wireless systems have been conducted with NS and thus
generated a number of "mobility extension" to NS that should be
available. However, among these extensions I couldn't find any that
actually models an environment of mobile hosts/routers moving around in
and out of connectivity (due to radio range, radio shadows etc.) that
should be very convenient to have when testing routing algorithms (the
NS mobility extensions I found focused more on the wireless channel as
such, with fading models for bit errors etc. Maybe I just missed what
I'm looking for).

Now, is anyone aware of such mobile environment extensions to NS?
In any other simulation environment?
Is anyone working on this kind of "package" ? (and willing to share ;-)

Furthermore, relating to mobility environments with moving host. Has
anyone any data on moving patterns of users/hosts that could be
applicable here?
I guess this depends *a lot* on the scenario (indoor local area ,
outdoor wide area, conferencing applications, vehicular
applications,...).

I appreciate any input on this matter from you.

Thanks in advance!

/Per

Per Johansson                              Phone   +46 8 719 0290
Ericsson Telecom AB                   Fax:    +46 8 719 66 77
SwitchLab                                    E-mail:
[email-masked]
Dialoggatan 1
S-126 25 Stockholm, Sweden

---

From: "Andrew T.Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:06:15 -0800

Per:

You are absolute correct: NS2 supports some MAC level functionality
(viz. 802.11--) and rudimentary on/off channel models but no
mobility support. We been adding some support for that but its too 
early to report any success.

Best,
Andrew

--
Andrew T. Campbell  
http://comet.columbia.edu/~campbell
Wireless Media Systems 
http://comet.columbia.edu/wireless