Subject: Draft on "Dynamic Source Routing" protocol submitted

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:07:55 -0500

On Friday, we submitted an Internet-Draft describing the Dynamic Source
Routing protocol that we have developed at CMU for routing in
multi-hop ad hoc wireless networks.  The draft is now working its way
through the Internet-Draft publication process and an official
announcement for it will come out at some point, but here is an early
unofficial announcement:

        Title           : The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for
                          Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
        Author(s)       : Josh Broch, David B. Johnson, David A. Maltz
        Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-dsr-00.txt
        Pages           : 40
        Date            : 13-Mar-98

   Dynamic Source Routing (DSR) is a routing protocol designed
   specifically for use in mobile ad hoc networks.  The protocol allows
   nodes to dynamically discover a source route across multiple network
   hops to any destination in the ad hoc network.  When using source
   routing, each packet to be routed carries in its header the complete,
   ordered list of nodes through which the packet must pass.  A key
   advantage of source routing is that intermediate hops do not need
   to maintain routing information in order to route the packets they
   receive, since the packets themselves already contain all of the
   necessary routing information.  This, coupled with the dynamic,
   on-demand nature of Route Discovery, completely eliminates the need
   for periodic router advertisements and link status packets, reducing
   the overhead of DSR, especially during periods when the network
   topology is stable and these packets serve only as keep-alives.

Once the official announcement gets issued, copies of the draft will
be available from the usual places.  Until then, if you'd like a copy
now, it is available by FTP on our server.  The URL is:

ftp://ftp.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/pub/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-dsr-00.txt

					Dave