Subject: Scenarios for simulations

From: Thomas Lofgren <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Feb 1999 15:35:56 +0100

Hi everyone!

 I'm currently in the process of setting up some interesting mobility
scenarios for testing some of the proposed routing algorithms.  I'm
right now considering to do simulations on (at least) the following
two scenarios:

 (1) a high-density clustered environment, such as people carrying
     around laptops at a fair, or moving between lecture halls.  This
     would involve having one or more completely fixed nodes.

 (2) a disaster relief operation, where some semi-fixed units can
     provide routing at strategic places, but where "end nodes" may be
     much more mobile.

For the second one, I will contact people who work in this field to
listen to their input, but I will gladly accept any input on both of
these scenarios.  Is there a reason not to do them?  Is someone
working on similar or related scenarios?  What to think about when
designing the movement patterns, etc.  Also, any ideas for  other
scenarios will be considered as well.

Thanks for your input,
-- 
Tom Lofgren                             SICS
[email-masked]                         Box 1263
http://www.sics.se/~lofgren             SE-164 29 Kista
+46 8 633 1550                          Sweden

---

From: "M. Scott Corson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:52:47 -0500 (EST)

On 11 Feb 1999, Thomas Lofgren wrote:

Erik Guttmann expressed interest last meeting in defining realistic
scenarios and (may) be working on that now...you may wish to contact him
to see where that is headed.

-Scott

> scenarios will be considered as well.

*******************************************************************************

M. Scott Corson                                 Institute for Systems Research
[email-masked]                              A.V. Williams Bldg. (115)
Phone: 301-405-6630 (Rm. 2205 AVW)              University of Maryland     
Fax:   301-314-8586                             College Park, MD  20742

*******************************************************************************

---

From: Carlo Kopp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:31:54 +1100

Scott,

A suggestion if I may - some taxi cab companies down here are using GPS
tracking on their cabs and logging the data in a central database.

The availability of such logs might be quite useful for direct modelling,
but also to produce a basis for a more general vehicular model where the
cabs are essentially embedded in a bigger traffic stream.

Just a thought ....

Cheers,

Carlo

> > scenarios will be considered as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Carlo Kopp                             [email-masked]
   Systems Research Group                 http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/~carlo
   Computer Science & Software Eng,       Ph: +61-3-9905-5229
   Monash Uni, Clayton, 3168, AUSTRALIA
   Kopp's First Axiom : "Human stupidity is an unbounded quantity."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "M. Scott Corson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:24:13 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Carlo Kopp wrote:

That's quite interesting...

Do you know if there is any chance they might make some version of
this data available? 

-Scott

---

From: Carlo Kopp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:52:43 +1100 (EST)

> Do you know if there is any chance they might make some version of
Probably not, although I would consider data from down here as being
unrepresentative insofar as distances are bigger and density lower than
Europe or urban US.

However, if a cab compnay in Europe or the US playing a similar game, then
the database would be highly relevent.

Cheers,

Carlo