Subject: Simulation environments

From: Christian Joensson FOA 72 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:38:34 +0100

Hello everybody!

I'm curious about what simulation environments you use working on issues 
regarding mobile ad hoc networks, routing protocols, and mobility models?

We've been looking at the freely available PARSEC environment for our project
and we're hoping to lift our digital terrain based mobility model into such 
environments and evaluating both access and routing protocols of our own in 
such an environment for our work in the MANET area.

Do you have any suggestions based on your own MANET simulations experiences?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

PS Please direct e-mail to me directly since perhaps not all on the list 
might be interested in your replies. (If I get any...)

TIA,

-- 
Christian Jönsson                            E-mail: [email-masked]
Defence Research Establishment,
Div. of C&C Warfare Tech.                    Phone: +46 13 37 81 05
Department of Communication Systems          Fax: +46 13 37 80 49
P.O. Box 1165
SE-581 11  LINKÖPING, Sweden

---

From: Zygmunt Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:39:14 -0500 (EST)

---

From: Don Montgomery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:40:56 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Christian Joensson FOA 72 wrote:
!I'm curious about what simulation environments you use working on issues 
!regarding mobile ad hoc networks, routing protocols, and mobility models?
[snip]
!Do you have any suggestions based on your own MANET simulations experiences?
!
!Any comments are greatly appreciated.
!
!PS Please direct e-mail to me directly since perhaps not all on the list 
!might be interested in your replies. (If I get any...)
!
On the contrary, many of us might be interested.   :)

Don Montgomery
Center for Advanced Telecommunications Systems & Services
University 0f Texas at Dallas

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:46:55 -0500

>such an environment for our work in the MANET area.
Christian:

Work has been done in a number of environments (e.g., MAISSIE, OPNET, and
ns2).
BTW, mobility model input would be useful.

Of particular note, the group made some initial progress towards some
common models in the freely available ns2 environment.  This work is based
upon extensions done at CMU and also there has been work in ns2 done at Sun.

http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/cmu-ns.html (CMU ns extensions)

Not sure of the publicly available status of other work or updated
information. Anyone?

-Joe

---

From: Lee Chee-Jwai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:08:24 +0800

Has any comparison of the various simulation tools (MAISIE, OPNET and ns2)
been done? What are their respective strength and weaknesses? Thanks. 

Chee-Jwai

>Not sure of the publicly available status of other work or updated
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Chee-Jwai LEE                    Tel: (65) 7727033
DSO National Laboratories            Fax: (65) 7766476
20 Science Park Drive                Email: [email-masked]
Singapore 118230
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Christian Joensson FOA 72 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:38:34 +0100

Thanks for the many replies. I'll get back with some summary of information I 
got. On thing I would like to tell you straight away is that PARSEC is an
evolution of MAISIE, AFAIK.

>From PARSEC's home page:

``Parsec is a C-based simulation language, developed by the Parallel
  Computing Laboratory at UCLA, for sequential and parallel execution of
  discrete-event simulation models. It can also be used as a parallel
  programming language. Parsec 1.1 runs on several platforms, including
  most recent Unix variants as well as Windows.''

See http://may.cs.ucla.edu/projects/maisie/
and especially http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/projects/parsec/

It seems as though ns2 and the monarch extensions are quite promising too.

Later,

/ChJ