Subject: Re: Simulation environments

From: SJ Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:52:33 -0800 (PST)

From: Lee Chee-Jwai <[email-masked]>
	Subject: Re: Simulation environments

	Has any comparison of the various simulation tools (MAISIE, OPNET and ns2)
	been done? What are their respective strength and weaknesses? Thanks. 

	Chee-Jwai
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Here is a description of PARSEC(Maisie's next version)
and strengths of it.

PARSEC (PARallel Simulation Environment for Complex systems)
is a C based discrete-event simulation language that adopts
process interaction approach. It supports various platforms
such as Windows95, WindowsNT, Linux, FreeBSD, Sun Solaris,
SGI IRIX, and IBM AIX.

GloMoSim, developed by UCLA WAM lab and PCL lab, is a simulation 
library built on top of PARSEC to model wireless ad-hoc networks. 
It has a layered structure that defines simple APIs between layers. 
This allows comparable studies of protocols at a specific layer 
without having to modify protocols of other layers.
Since GloMoSim is designed to fully utilize parallel simulation
capability of PARSEC, it can simulate large scale models that contain
thousands (and more) of mobile nodes in a short period of simulation
running time. Preliminary study shows that
parallel simulation for a model consisting of 5,000 nodes with 
6 processors runs 4 times faster than the corresponding
sequential simulation.

The GloMoSim library is scheduled to be released very soon.

Parsec Web Page:
http://may.cs.ucla.edu/projects/parsec/

WAM Lab web page:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/NRL/wireless

PCL Lab web page:
http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/

GloMoSim (Domains project) web page:
http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/projects/domains/

SJ