Subject: A BOF on Telnet Optimizations (e.g., for wireless)?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:01:30 -0400

In previous communications, I argued that there is substantial
value in providing efficient Telnet emulation over wide-area wireless
networks.  At the Minneapolis meeting I gave a summary of some
technology that has enabled TN3270 and TN5250 emulation work
well in low bandwidth, unreliable networks.   Several people
expressed interest in further work in this area.  (Note: For more
detail send me a note requesting a paper on the subject.)

The techniques employed above and others could be the basis
of new architecture that can extend the current Telnet architecture
to provide optimizations that would facilitate emulation over slow,
unreliable (wireless or wireline) networks.

If there is general interest in pursuing the above goals, I will request a
BOF
for the Oslo meeting.  As the current tn3270e workgroup is terminating,
the objective of this BOF would be to develop a charter for a new
workgroup whose purpose would be to define optimizations that
facilitate efficient emulation over constrained networks.

If you would be willing to attend such a BOF, please send me a note
to register your interest.

     Regards,
          Barron Housel

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 99 17:30:15 EDT

At the December meeting we had a BOF on Outstanding Telnet issues.
Those issues:

  TELOPT AUTH
  TELOPT ENCRYPT

and associated subnegotation documents as well as the need for an RFC
specifying the criteria and methods for registering Telnet Commands,
Options, and sub-option numbers with IANA are still outstanding.

I would suggest that this question of Optimizing Telnet be folded into
a second BOF on Outstanding Telnet issues at the Oslo meeting.

> to register your interest.

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025
  http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html * [email-masked]