Subject: Telnet Optimizations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:31:12 -0400

>From your comments and conversations, I've come to several conclusions about
standardization of  the TN3270/TN5250 optimizations for wireless (and other low
bandwidth networks) as expressed in the paper on Emulator Express:  1) TLS
security breaks the dual intercept ( proxy)  approach described in Emulator
Express, because the optimizations require the data to be in the clear -- not
encrypted or compressed.  2) Of the three optimizations: compression, protocol
reduction and caching, the caching function  is the most compelling to bring
forward immediately as a standard, because: a) compression is already included
in TLS; b) protocol reduction (i.e., optimization of telnet negotiation) is more
complex because it must be maintain the integrity of the existing protocol; c)
the caching function provides proveably high value in reducing the data stream
volume.

I propose defining a new telnet feature for emulation data stream caching such
that the  processing would be done above the TLS layer so the data is in the
clear.  This feature would, of course, be optionally supported by telnet clients
and servers.  Some of you think that such a feature would blend in well and
provide benefit to the OHIO suite of functions -- especially where OHIO plays a
role in wireless networks.

I would like to publish an initial internet-draft that would serve as the basis
for a BOF either in Oslo in July or Washington D.C. in November.  I would
appreciate a response if you're interested in participating in this work.

Regards,
     Barron

---

From: Michael Boe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 03:30:49 +0000

[email-masked] wrote:
> in TLS; 

You should be aware that although compression is supported, none of the
registered cipher/compression/authentication combinations actually use
compression at this time. That is, you'll need to add one (either inside
or outside IETF).

/msb

> b) protocol reduction (i.e., optimization of telnet negotiation) is more