Subject: Final CFP: MONET Issue on Energy-Conserving Protocols for Wireless

From: Jason Redi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 16:35:50 -0400 (EDT)

************************* CALL FOR PAPERS *************************

    Baltzer Science Publishers in cooperation with ACM announce a
       Special Issue of the Journal on Special Topics in Mobile
                 Networking and Applications (MONET)
                
                                  on

           ENERGY-CONSERVING PROTOCOLS IN WIRELESS NETWORKS

                         With Guest Editors:

                         Dr. Chiara Petrioli
                        Politecnico di Milano
                    [email-masked]

                           Prof. Ramesh Rao
                 University of California, San Diego
                            [email-masked]

                            Dr. Jason Redi
                           BBN Technologies
                             [email-masked]

OVERVIEW: 
The  most  important  factors  which  will determine  the  success  of
wireless mobile communications are  the utility and convenience of the
end user devices.   Paramount to both of these areas  is the amount of
energy  that is  required  by  the mobile  devices.   As most  current
battery  research  does  not  predict  a  substantial  change  in  the
available energy in a consumer  battery, it is important that wireless
devices be designed for energy-constraint. 

There has been substantial research  in the hardware aspects of mobile
communications  energy-efficiency,  such  as  low  power  electronics,
processor sleep-time,  and energy-efficient modulation.   However, due
to   fundamental  physical   limitations,  progress   towards  further
energy-efficiency will become mostly a software-level issue.

Recent work has  shown that substantial reductions in  the energy used
by   a   mobile  communications   protocol   are  achievable   without
dramatically   affecting   its   performance.  Legacy   communications
protocols, quality  of service,  overhead and protocol  complexity are
just a few areas that are  beginning to be re-evaluated in the context
of energy-usage.

SCOPE: 
This  special  issue  will  concentrate  on  software,  protocols  and
algorithms at the MAC-layer and above which are designed to reduce the
amount  of energy  used  by the  wireless  transceiver.  We  encourage
approaches which are physical-layer independent.  The following topics
are examples of areas which may be considered: 

  - energy-conserving access protocols
  - ARQ variants for the reduction of energy
  - effects of energy-conservation on the higher-level protocols
  - APIs for evaluating energy requirements in applications
  - scheduling and resource reservation which include energy as a
    primary constraint 
  - QoS guarantees for energy-conservation
  - energy-conserving routing techniques
  - re-evaluation of classical techniques under energy constraints
  - characterization and modeling of energy-saving methods

PUBLICATION SCHEDULE:
      Manuscript Due: May 30, 1999
      Acceptance Notification: August 30, 1999
      Final Manuscript Due: October 30, 1999

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: 
Authors should email  an electronic Postscript copy of  their paper to
[email-masked] by  May 30,  1999.  Submissions should  be limited  to 20
double space  pages excluding  figures, graphs and  illustrations.  If
email  submission is  impossible  then  six (6)  copies  of the  paper
(double-sided if possible) should be sent by the due date to: 
	      
	      Dr. Jason Redi 
	      Mobile Network Systems Group
	      BBN Technologies
	      M/S 6/2a, 10 Moulton St.
	      Cambridge, MA, 02138
	      [email-masked]

  *****************************************************************