Subject: Routing with unidirectional links: paper available

From: Ravi Prakash <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 22:00:36 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I have written a paper titled "Unidirectional Links Prove Costly in Wireless
Ad-Hoc Networks." 

The paper is available, in PostScript format, at the following URL:

     www.utdallas.edu/~ravip/papers/adhoc_unidir.ps

The issues discussed in the paper are:

- several ad-hoc routing protocols discussed by the MANET working group
  may have serious problems if some of the links happen to be unidirectional,
  instead of being bidirectional (as implicitly assumed by these algorithms).

- O(n^2) information, i.e, a matrix may have to be exchanged, instead of 
  O(n) information, i.e., a vector that is exchanged by protocols based on
  distance vectors. Here "n" is the number of nodes in the network.

- a preliminary routing algorithm that employs exchange of nXn matrices
  is also presented.

I would highly appreciate your comments and criticism on this paper. 

With best regards,

----Ravi.
========================================================================
Ravi Prakash ([email-masked])		www.utdallas.edu/~ravip
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science
The University of Texas at Dallas
Richardson, TX 75083-0688.  Phone: (972) 883-2289,   Fax: (972) 883-2349