Subject: An Update of the ZRP draft

From: Zygmunt Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:59:34 -0400 (EDT)

======================================================================
           The Zone Routing Protocol (ZRP) for Ad Hoc Networks
                  <draft-ietf-manet-zone-zrp-02.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is NOT offered in accordance 
   with Section 10 of RFC2026, and the author does not provide the IETF 
   with any rights other than to publish as an Internet-Draft.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months 
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any 
   time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference material 
   or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at 
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Abstract

   This document describes the Zone Routing Protocol (ZRP), a hybrid
   routing protocol suitable for a wide variety of mobile ad-hoc 
   networks, especially those with large network spans and diverse
   mobility patterns.  Each node proactively maintains routes within a
   local region (referred to as the routing zone).  Knowledge of the
   routing zone topology is leveraged by the ZRP to improve the
   efficiency of a reactive route query/reply mechanism.  The proactive
   maintenance of routing zones also helps improve the quality of
   discovered routes, by making them more robust to changes in network
   topology. The ZRP can be configured for a particular network by
   proper selection of a single parameter, the routing zone radius.

   The ZRP framework is designed to provide a balance between the
   contrasting proactive and reactive routing approaches.  To underscore
   this general philosophy, both the proactive and reactive components of
   this ZRP implementation have been expanded.  This draft provides 
   specifications for both a (split-horizon) Distance Vector AND a Link State 
   version of the proactive IntrAzone Routing Protocol (IARP). The reactive 
   IntErzone Routing Protocol (IERP) provides a route caching option. When 
   route caching is globally enabled, the IERP acts as a reactive Distance 
   Vector protocol, distributing routing information among intermediate nodes.
   On the other hand, when route caching is disabled, the routes are accumulated
   in the query packets and the protocol operates through source routing.

   This ZRP specification also offers some additional enhancements.  The
   reactive route query procedure now supports route querying for multiple
   destinations and multicast groups.  Queries can be targeted for either
   ANY destination or ALL destinations (depending on the nature of the query).
   By aggregating route queries, the amount of overhead traffic can be greatly 
   reduced.  In addition, the ZRP now supports QOS routing through the
   collection of various route quality metrics (in both the proactive and
   reactive routing components).

===============================================================================

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas                    tel: +1-607-255-3454
Wireless Networks Laboratory		                  
School of Electrical Engineering         fax: +1-607-255-9072 
Cornell University
323 Frank Rhodes Hall			 e-mail: [email-masked]
Ithaca, NY 14853			 
U.S.A                             http://www.ee.cornell.edu/~haas/wnl.html
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-