Subject: CFP: IP-based Mobile Telecommunications Networks

From: "Andrew T. Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:44:45 -0700

CALL FOR PAPERS

IEEE Personal Communications Magazine

Special Issue on

IP-based Mobile Telecommunications Networks

http://comet.columbia.edu/mobilecfp/

Recent initiatives to add mobility to the Internet and packet data 
services to third generation cellular systems are being considered 
by mobile service providers as possible candidate technologies for 
the delivery of IP data to mobile users. Both of these candidate 
technologies have shortcomings, however. Mobile IP represents a simple 
and scalable global mobility solution but lacks support for fast 
handoff control, real-time location tracking, authentication and 
distributed policy management found in cellular networks today. 
In contrast, third generation cellular systems offer seamless mobility 
support but are built on complex and costly connection-oriented 
networking infrastructure that lacks the inherent flexibility, 
robustness and scalability found in IP networks. Future wireless 
networks should be capable of combining the strengths of both 
approaches without inheriting their weaknesses.

This special issue will address the on-going convergence of IP and 
mobile telecommunications in wireless networks. The development of 
IP-centric mobile telecommunications networks present a number of 
challenges that go beyond the existing capabilities of Mobile IP 
and third generation networks. A number of new initiatives have 
been addressing these challenges as well as proposing enhancements 
to EDGE and GPRS technologies to more readily support wireless IP 
services. For example, the IETF Mobile IP Working Group is responding 
to new requirements being placed on Mobile IP by cellular 
telecommunications companies. In addition, cellular telecommunications 
providers and carriers have established new forums (e.g., 3GPP, 3PP2 
and 3GIP) that are revisiting the design of third generation networks 
with the goal of enhancing IP mobility-related solutions to deliver 
seamless mobility without losing the cost effectiveness, application 
flexibility and transparency of IP technologies. 

Suggested topics for this special issue on IP-based Mobile 
Telecommunications Networks include:

· Extensions to Mobile IP in the context of 
  Telecommunications Networks
· IP-based Third Generation Mobile and Wireless Networks
· Micro-mobility Architectures and Protocols  
· Wireless IP QOS  
· IP-based Services & Applications for GPRS, EDGE, 1xRT 
  and other 3G technologies
· Results and Reports from Experimental Wireless IP Systems
· Security Issues, Authentication, Authorization 
· Pricing and Accounting Models
· Use of Mobility and Mobile IP for Carrier and Enterprise 
  Service Management
· IP-based Control Architectures and Signaling
 
SUBMISSION
Submission Deadline		October 15, 1999
Notification of Acceptance	December 15, 1999
Final Manuscript		January 15, 2000
Publication Date 		April 15, 2000

Research articles are solicited for review. All submissions should 
adhere to the style of IEEE Personal Communications Magazine. 
Guidelines for prospective authors can be found on-line at 
http://pubs.comsoc.org/pci/pub_guidelines.html.  Please send PostScript 
or PDF formatted papers to [email-masked]
 
GUEST EDITORS  
Andrew T. Campbell  			Kalyan Basu 
Department of Electrical Engineering 	Director, Systems Technologies
and Center for Telecoms. Research 	Nortel Networks
1312 Seeley W. Mudd Bldg. 		2201, Lakeside Blvd.
Columbia University 			Richardson, TX 75082-4399
New York, NY 10027-6699			[email-masked]
[email-masked]