Subject: Time is running out to register for MobiCom'99

From: Jason Redi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:44:55 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Colleagues:

    If for some reason you have still not registered for MobiCom '99,
    please do so now.

    Don't wait till the last minute -- hotel rooms are very difficult
to get during the summer season, specially in the downtown area and
the prices will go up considerably if you don't reserve your room by
7/23.   It would be a pity if you wait and end up paying more for both
the Hotel and MobiCom....so register today.

---

                      IT'S TIME TO REGISTER FOR
                              MOBICOM'99
             The Fifth Annual International Conference on
                   Mobile Computing and Networking
                        August  15 - 19,  1999
                       Seattle, Washington, USA
               http://mobicom99.research.microsoft.com

    The advance program is _complete_ and _available_ on our web site.
    We invite you to register now to join us for this ground-breaking
    conference in August.

                      Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE
     Technically Co-sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society
   In cooperation with ACM SIGCOMM, SIGOPS, SIGMETRICS, and SIGMOD;
            the USENIX Association; the IEICE; and the IEE

        + Supported by the following leading-edge companies +

 American Mobile; AT&T Research Cambridge, U.K; BBN Technologies/GTE
	Bell Atlantic Mobile; BellSouth;  Compaq Research; CUE
     Harris Semiconductor / Prism; IBM Research; Infowave; Intel;
  Lucent Technologies; Microsoft Research; Nettech Systems; Proxim;
 SmartServ Online; Symbol; WAP Forum;  Wireless Knowledge; and Xerox

SOME HIGHLIGHTS
---------------
The main program consists of nine paper sessions and two panel
sessions. The paper sessions are single-track, while each of
the panel sessions consists of two parallel panels. This will
allow you to attend all paper presentations and two of the four
panels.

This year:
1) We are introducing a new "Next Century Challenges" session
   with five visionary papers on the future of mobile computing
   and wireless networking.

   Details available at
     http://mobicom99.research.microsoft.com/tp.htm

2) We are offering the highest # of tutorials ever. After careful
   deliberation and thought we have picked a total of 8 tutorials
   covering a gamut of topics useful to you whether you are a novice
   or an expert in this field.

    T1. Understanding the Wireless Physical Layer and
        its Impact on Other Layers
          - Magda El Zarki, UPenn.

    T2. Understanding Code Mobility
          - Gian Pietro Picco,
            Washington University at St. Louis

    T3. Wireless Ad Hoc Networking Protocols
          - David A. Maltz and Josh Broch, CMU

    T4. Mobile IP and Mobile Networking in the Internet
          - David B. Johnson, CMU, and
            Charles E. Perkins, SUN Microsystems

    T5. Designing Energy Efficient Mobile Systems -
          - Mani B. Srivastava, UCLA

    T6. Multicast Communications Over Wireless Networks -
          - Upkar Varshney, Georgia State Univ.

    T7. TCP for Wireless and Mobile Hosts
          - Nitin H. Vaidya, Texas A&M University

    T8. Wide Area Wireless Data Communications -
          - Satyajit P. Doctor and Jennifer Yin, Award Solutions

   Detailed descriptions are provided at:
      http://mobicom99.research.microsoft.com/tutorials.htm

3. We have organized a record number of cutting-edge workshops that
   are co-located with MobiCom 99:

    W1. Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access (MobiDE)'99

    W2. Discrete Algorithms and Methods for Mobile Computing and
        Communications (Dial M) '99,

    W3. Wireless Mobile Multimedia (WoWMoM) '99

    W4. Modeling and Simulation of Wireless & Mobile Systems (MSWiM)'99.

   Information about these workshops can be found in
     http://mobicom99.research.microsoft.com/workshops.htm

4. We have organized four panels on topics that are timely and with
   panelist who are passionate about these subjects.

    P1. Global Satellite Communication Networks
    P2. Future of Local area Networks
    P3. Electronic Books
    P4. Wearable Computers

   Information about these panels and the panelist can be found in
     http://mobicom99.research.microsoft.com/panel.htm

5. We will have a corporate exhibition area, where you can see the
   latest mobile communication products and services first-hand and
   find out about breakthroughs in mobile networks, systems and
   applications. You can meet with the people and companies who
   are designing and developing the new mobile systems and setting
   the standards.

   Information on MobiCom '99 supporters is available at:
      http://mobicom99.research.microsoft.com/workshops.htm

SOCIALS
-------
Several interesting social events in nice settings are part of this
year's Conference

  S1. Monday Evening (August 16, 1999)
         Chairman's Welcome Reception
           Join the organizing team in an informal setting
           also browse the exhibition area

  S2. Tuesday Evening (August 17, 1999)
         Student/Faculty Get Together
           This will be a three hour cruise of the Puget Sound,
           with food and spirits provided

  S3 Wednesday Evening (August 18, 1999)
         Conference Dinner Banquet
           Join your colleagues at the Space Needle (a landmark of
           some significance for Seattle) for some lively
           entertainment and dinner

In addition to the above, we will be providing conference
luncheons to all attendees on all three days of the conference. Lunch
will also be provided to people attending the workshops on Friday
and to those attending the full-day tutorials on Sunday and Monday.

LOCATION
--------
The conference will be held at the beautiful state of art Bell
Harbor International Conference Center -- this is one of the
finest conference facilities in all of Washington.  Check
out the URL.
    http://www.bellharbor.org/index.html

REGISTRATION
------------
Thus, don't delay and register today for MobiCom '99.  It is THE
conference to attend.  With a great location, Seattle, Washington,
in the heart of downtown, you can't ask for anything more. We
look forward to seeing you there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Important URL
   http://mobicom99.research.microsoft.com/registration.htm

Important Dates:
  July 23, 1999 -- MobiCom '99 and Hotel Registration discounts end
  August 1, 1999 -- Early registration for MobiCom '99 ends.
----------------------------------------------------------------------