Subject: A Draft on High Speed MANET

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:06:33 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

A new Internet Draft on High Speed MANET is available.  The complete draft is 
attached here.

Hong Jiang
732-949-7431

Abstract:

   The emerging RF technologies increasingly allow MANETs to have
   higher speed wireless links interconnecting mobile nodes.  Such
   high speed MANETs (HSMANETs) will have large coverage areas and be
   able to support a large number of users with multimedia applications.
   This Internet Draft describes a high-level architecture framework
   for such high speed MANETs and network requirements on routing and
   mobility management.

-----------------------------

IETF MANET Working Group                          Hong Jiang       
INTERNET DRAFT                                    Kiran Rege
20 April, 1999                                    Lucent Technologies
                                                  Charles Graff
						  Michael Bereschinsky
						  U. S. Army CECOM

	 An Architecture Framework for High Speed MANETs (HSMANETs)
                     draft-ietf-manet-hsmanet-00.txt

Status of This Memo

   This document is a submission by the MANET Working Group of the
   Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).  Comments should be submitted
   to the [email-masked] mailing list.

   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at
   any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at:

      http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at:

      http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Abstract

   The emerging RF technologies increasingly allow MANETs to have 
   higher speed wireless links interconnecting mobile nodes.  Such 
   high speed MANETs (HSMANETs) will have large coverage areas and be 
   able to support a large number of users with multimedia applications.   
   This Internet Draft describes a high-level architecture framework 
   for such high speed MANETs and network requirements on routing and
   mobility management.

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page i]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

                                Contents

Status of This Memo                                                    i

Abstract                                                               i

 1. Introduction                                                       1

 2. Terminology                                                        1
     2.1. General Terms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    1
     2.2. Specification Language  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    2

 3. An Architecture for HSMANETs  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    2

 4. Requirements for Routing and Mobility Management Protocols  . .    3

Acknowledgments                                                        4

References                                                             5

Chair's Addresses                                                      5

Authors' Addresses                                                     5  

1. Introduction

   As the RF technologies evolve, high-speed MANETs (HSMANETs) are
   becoming a reality.  Such HSMANETs are intended to support a 
   large number of mobile users, provide a large coverage area, 
   and support multimedia applications as well.

   HSMANETs share many characteristics of MANETs as described in RFC 
   2501 [1].  An HSMANET is typically an autonomous system formed and 
   maintained in an ad hoc fashion.  However HSMANETs may have more 
   network structure than MANETs in that HSMANETs may have a hierarchy 
   possibly with higher speed links at a higher hierarchical level.
   An HSMANET has a dynamic topology since network nodes are free to move
   around.  Some HSMANETs may be highly dynamic topologically, some may
   be quasi-static.  Similar to MANETs, HSMANETs will usually be constrained 
   by transmitters' energy levels, even though a typical coverage area of a
   HSMANET is much greater than that of a MANET.  In addition, HSMANETs will
   face the same security issues as MANETs do.  However, HSMANETs are not 
   necessarily as bandwidth constrained as MANETs since high speed
   point-to-point links can be deployed to interconnect high capacity 
   mobile routers.  

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

2. Terminology

2.1. General Terms

     Network node (or Router)

        A device that implements IP, performs routing, and mobility
        management.  It may also have RF interfaces as mobile users'
	access point to the HSMANET.
      
     Mobile user (or Mobile)

	A mobile user is the end user of the network.  A mobile user has
	a device with RF interfaces through which the user communicates 
	with the network.  The device also implements IP.

     Routing protocol

	Routing protocol is a protocol that performs topology updates, 
	route discovery and mobility management of network nodes.  

     Mobility Management Protocol

        Mobility management protocol is a protocol that performs mobility 
	management of mobile users.  The mobility management refers to
	tracking and locating of mobile users, handoff management of mobiles
	users, and other aspects that are related to user mobility.
    
     Mobile Access (Segment or Point)

        Mobile access refers to a mobile user connecting to the network 
	through either a shared medium or a point-to-point link.  The link 
	between the mobile user and the network node with which the
	mobile is connected is termed mobile access segment.  The
	network node is termed the access point of the mobile.

     Mobile Handoff

	Mobile handoff refers to a mobile user changing from one point of 
	access to another.  

2.2. Specification Language

   The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [2].

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

3. An Architecture for HSMANETs

   One architecture for high-speed MANET consists of network
   nodes and mobile users.  A network node acts as a base station
   as in the cellular/PCS networks, a router and a mobility
   management agent.  A network node may be mobile or fixed.  These
   network nodes are connected via high speed point-to-point
   wireless links, forming the backbone of the network.  There may
   be multiple levels of hierarchy within the backbone network
   itself, possibly with higher speed links at high level of the
   hierarchy as shown in Figure 1.  

            +--------------------------------------------+ 
            |                +---------+                 |
            |                | Network |                 |
            |                | Node    |                 |
            |                +---------+                 | 
            |                    /  \                    |
            |                 /        \                 |
	    |              /              \              |
            |  +---------+                  +---------+  |
            |  | Network |------------------| Network |  |
            |  | Node    |                  | Node    |  |
            |  +---------+                  +---------+  |
            |      / \                        / \        |
	    +--------------------------------------------+
      +--------------------------------------------------------+
      |          /      \                   /      \           |
      |  +---------+  +---------+    +---------+  +---------+  |
      |  | Network |--| Network |    | Network |--| Network |  |
      |  | Node    |  | Node    |    | Node    |  | Node    |  |
      |  +---------+  +---------+    +---------+  +---------+  |
      |      / \                                      / \      |
      +--------------------------------------------------------+
 +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
 |         /       \                               /       \         |
 |  +--------+   +--------+                 +--------+   +--------+  |
 |  | Mobile |   | Mobile |                 | Mobile |   | Mobile |  |
 |  | User   |   | User   |                 | User   |   | User   |  |
 |  +--------+   +--------+                 +--------+   +--------+  |
 +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

     Figure 1.  An example HSMANET with three levels of hierarchy

   A mobile user within the coverage area of a network node accesses 
   the network through the network node via a shared medium.  Due to the  
   mobility of mobile users or network nodes, a mobile user may move 

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

   from one point of access to another.  A network node may change its 
   connectivity from one network node to another. Such a network may be 
   connected to a fixed network through high speed links which could be 
   based on satellite, fixed wireless, or fiber.

   An HSMANET can have a coverage area of up to a few hundred miles 
   in diameter and support a large of number of users.  The HSMANET 
   could have a wide range of moving speeds from the walking speed 
   possibly to the speed of an airplane, resulting in a dynamically 
   changing topology.  The HSMANET could also be quasi-static 
   in the sense that the network is formed in an ad hoc fashion and
   remains static for relatively long periods of time between changes to
   the topology.  
   
   Both types of networks require rapid reconfiguration which refers to 
   the ability of the network to quickly adapt to changes in network 
   topology.  An important aspect of rapid reconfiguration is topology 
   sensing.  Topology sensing is a mechanism used to initialize network 
   topology and sense the changes in the topology by collecting signal 
   measurements of neighboring nodes so that decision on establishing a 
   link or tearing down a link between pairs of network nodes can be made.  
   Other network information such as network traffic and routing can also 
   be included in the decision process for network optimization purposes.
   Once a new set of links is established, it is up to the routing 
   protocol to update the other network nodes of the new network topology 
   and to discover new routes.

   For the mobile access segment of an HSMANET, existing air interface
   technologies (e.g. TDMA, CDMA, GSM) may be used with modifications.  
   Dynamic frequency allocation and channel allocation are needed to 
   reassign frequencies and to balance load since the mobile network 
   nodes and mobile users may form clusters, causing heavy interference 
   among the network nodes and possibly heavy load within the affected 
   coverage areas.

4. Requirements for Routing and Mobility Management Protocols

   For scalability and efficiency reasons, mobility management of
   the network nodes is treated as part of the routing function while
   mobility management of the mobile users is treated separately.
   The signaling burden on the network for mobility management of
   mobile users can be greatly reduced by using a mobility
   management protocol to manage the mobility of mobile users.
   Thus the term "mobility management protocol" in this draft
   refers to the mobility management of mobile users only.

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

   Due to the special characteristics the HSMANET and the demand 
   placed by multimedia applications, HSMANETs have additional 
   requirements on the design of network routing and mobility
   management protocols.  These requirements are listed as follows:

      1) Scalability

         Both routing and mobility management protocols must be
         scalable to their perspective sizes.

      2) Protocol independence 
      
         Routing protocol and mobility management protocol should be
	 independent of each other.  Mobility management should be able 
	 to inter-operate with any routing protocols that work within 
	 the architecture framework of HSMANETs.  Further, the 
	 performance of mobility management should not be adversely 
	 affected by any particular routing protocol in any significant way.

      3) QoS support

         Both routing and mobility management protocols should be able to
         support QoS or provide mechanisms to facilitate QoS support.  It
         is ideal if the existing QoS efforts with IETF can be leveraged
         in HSMANET.

      4) Distributed protocols

         Both routing and mobility management protocols must employ
         distributed algorithms.

      5) Robustness

         Both routing and mobility management should be robust to node
	 and link failure, heavy network utilization and other network 
	 impairment conditions.  One or more network node or link failure 
	 should not cause prolonged network instability.  A local network 
	 failure should not trigger a wide spread network instability for a
         prolonged period of time.  In other words, there should not be a
         single point of failure.  After a network failure or any
         topology changes, returning to normal operation should be swift
         and smooth.

      6) Protocol efficiency

	 The routing and mobility management protocols should have 
	 low protocol overhead.  Protocol efficiency can be measured 

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

	 by but not limited to these parameters: the number of signaling
	 messages, the size of the signaling messages and the number of
	 hops these messages traverse.  

      7) Route Optimization

         Routes should be optimized to the extend possible for bearer 
	 traffic at the connection/call setup time, during mobile user 
	 handoffs and after a topology change.  For connectionless traffic, 
	 routes taken by datagrams should be dynamically optimized as well.

      8) Smooth handoff

         A mobile handoff refers to a mobile user changing from one point
         of access to another.  The relative mobility between the mobile  
	 user and the network nodes in its neighborhood could result 
	 in a mobile handoff due to the mobility on the mobile user's 
	 part and/or on the network nodes' part. 

         Service disruption during a handoff should be minimized by
         providing mechanisms to reduce packet loss and packet delay.
         Mobility management protocol should be able support different
         types of handoffs using different RF technologies.  For
         instance, CDMA supports soft handoffs during which a
         mobile could be communicating with more than one network nodes
         simultaneously.  TDMA and GSM only support hard handoff where a
         mobile can only communicate with one router at a time.

      9) Security

         Routers as well as mobile users are prone to security threats.
         A network level security protocol may be needed to provide
         coherent and efficient security in HSMANETs.  In addition,
         existing efforts on IP security should be leveraged if possible.

4. Acknowledgments

   Authors would like to thank Bharat Doshi for discussing the architecture 
   issues with us.  Authors would also like to thank other team members for
   their contribution to the architecture work.

References

   [1] S. Corson and J. Macker.  Mobile Ad Hoc Networking (MANET): 
       Routing Protocol Performance Issues and Evaluation 
       Considerations.  RFC 2501, January 1999.

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

    [2] Scott Bradner.  Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
        Requirement Levels.  RFC 2119, March 1997.

Chairs' Addresses

   The working group can be contacted via the current chairs:

        M. Scott Corson
        Institute for Systems Research
        University of Maryland
        College Park, MD  20742
        USA

        Phone:  +1 301 405-6630
        Email:  [email-masked]

        Joseph Macker
        Information Technology Division
        Naval Research Laboratory
        Washington, DC  20375
        USA

        Phone:  +1 202 767-2001
        Email:  [email-masked]

Author's Addresses

   Questions about this memo can be directed to:

      Hong Jiang   
      Lucent Technologies      
      101 Crawfords Corner Road, Room 3M-325
      Holmdel, NJ 07733
      USA         

      Phone:  +1 732 949-7431          
      EMail:  [email-masked]
      Fax:    +1 732 834-5906

      Kiran Rege   
      Lucent Technologies      
      101 Crawfords Corner Road, Room 3M-310
      Holmdel, NJ 07733
      USA         

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT               High Speed MANET                6 July 1998

      Phone:  +1 732 949-8476          
      EMail:  [email-masked]
      Fax:    +1 732 834-5906

      Charles Graff
      USACECOM
      Attn: AMSEL-RD-ST-MN-PR
      Fort Monmouth, N.J. 07703

      phone number +1 732 427-3264
      EMail:  [email-masked]

      Michael Bereschinsky
      USACECOM
      Attn: AMSEL-RD-ST-MN-PR
      Fort Monmouth, N.J. 07703

      phone number +1 732 427-2634
      EMail:  [email-masked] 

Jiang, et al.              Expires 6 January 1999               [Page 6]

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 10:16:00 -0400

Hong:

Thank you for providing this prior to the meeting.  Unless I missed
something, I wanted to point out to the WG that since the ID deadline was
missed this is a "draft" Internet Draft ;-). It is provided as material to
read before the meeting and your presentation.

Also, has there been work done or studied under this architecture you
present with new and/or existing ad hoc routing protocols? I'd like to hear
some discussion of that.  

Thanks,
Joe