Subject: IPN SEMINAR AT MARYLAND, NOV 12

From: "M. Scott Corson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:32:16 -0400 (EDT)

INTERPLANETARY INTERNET RESEARCH SEMINAR
                       Friday, 12 November 1999
                             09:00 - 12:15
                    Van Munching Hall, Marriott Room
                   University of Maryland, College Park

     For travel directions to Van Munching Hall, please follow this link:
        http://www.inform.umd.edu/CampusInfo/Facilities/Buildings/VMH/
                       Cost: approx. $16 at the door

Over the last thirty years, the terrestrial Internet has grown from a 
few computers that were networked in a prototype laboratory environment 
into a vast deployed system that is an indispensable component of the 
present and future global economy. Key to its exponential growth has 
been its underpinning of flexible and "open" standard communications 
protocols (the TCP/IP suite) that permit diverse applications to 
instantaneously exchange information. During the coming thirty years, 
the terrestrial Internet will experience growth and evolution in ways 
which are almost unimaginable. Its communications infrastructure will 
experience huge increases in capacity, while a large varied of 
"untethered", wireless-based applications will emerge as plug-ins to 
the edges of its fiber/copper communications backbone. In the process, 
the Internet's communications protocols will evolve to meet new 
challenges.

The next thirty years will also see the need to expand the Internet so 
that it can serve the communications needs of the progressive expansion 
of human intelligence into space. The "InterPlaNetary Internet" 
initiative has therefore been initiated by DARPA and NASA to chart a 
course whereby the Internet may move gracefully off-planet.  The 
purpose of this seminar is to introduce a candidate InterPlanetary 
Internet (IPN) architecture to the research community and to solicit 
feedback with respect to its unique challenges. To facilitate the 
establishment of an interactive dialog with (and within) the community, 
the candidate architecture will be presented as a whole, followed by 
discussion focused in four key areas, each punctuated by opportunities 
for questions and discussion. The preliminary agenda for this seminar 
is presented below: 

08:45 - 09:00   Welcome and Introduction
09:00 - 09:30   Introduction, Motivation and
                Conceptual IPN Architecture         Bob Durst
09:30 - 09:45   Questions and Discussion of
                the Overall IPN Architecture
09:45 - 11:45   A Non-exhaustive Identification of 
                Research Challenges:
09:45 - 10:15   Inter-Internet Dialogs              Eric Travis
                + Discussion
10:15 - 10:45   Interplanetary Internet Nodes       Eric Travis
                + Discussion 
10:45 - 11:15   Stable Interplanetary Backbone      Scott Burleigh
                + Discussion
11:15 - 11:45   Deployment and Operation of         Bob Durst
                Remote Internets
                + Discussion
11:45 - 12:15   General Discussion
12:15			Adjourn

For further information, please contact:
M. Scott Corson
([email-masked])
301-405-6630
Center for Satellite and Hybrid Communication Networks
Institute for Systems Research
University of Maryland, College Park