Subject: CFP: JSAC Optical WDM Networks

From: Krishna Sivalingam - EECS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:58:35 -0700 (PDT)

==========================================================================

Please accept our apologies if you receive this multiple times.
Please feel free to forward this to colleagues who might be interested.

Thank you.

==========================================================================

                               CALL FOR PAPERS
              IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications

    PROTOCOLS AND ARCHITECTURES FOR NEXT GENERATION OPTICAL WDM NETWORKS

There has been recent re-surging commercial and research interest in the
applicability of WDM technology. It is now time to address practical issues
such as WDM-based Local and Metropolitan area networks, and the implications
of using WDM on the Next Generation Internet backbone. At present, we are
moving toward rapidly achieving the physical devices necessary to build
commercially viable WDM networks. The time is ripe for closely researching
upper protocol layers, such as TCP/IP stack, application layer, routing,
security, and network management. For instance, how do routers need to be
redesigned to handle the multiple channels? How do routing algorithms adapt
to changes in the network topology? What architectures are suitable for
achieving a packet-switched network? How can we build secure architectures
that are suited to the WDM network? What are the issues involved in network
management? What does it mean to have WDM as the underlying network
technology in wide area, metropolitan area, and local area networks? How
does it impact the network protocol stack design and performance? How can
upper layer protocols take advantage of the multiple channels available?

Topics of interest are classified, but not limited, to the following areas:

   * Wavelength routed networks -- Architectures, testbeds, protocols
   * IP over WDM networks; architectures and protocols
   * Quality-of-service and scheduling in optical routers and switches
   * Network Management for WDM networks
   * Security in WDM networks
   * Multicast over WDM networks
   * Terabit router architectures for WDM networks
   * Broadband local access and WDM networks
   * Protection and restoration of services inside the optical and between
     the optical layer and the higher layers
   * Reconfiguration in WDM networks
   * Traffic management in WDM networks
   * New data link layer protocols, e.g. for support of IP over WDM
   * Virtual private networks using WDM
   * WDM for mobile operators
   * Interconnect and interworking in multilayer networks
   * Standardization efforts for optical layer protocols and interfaces to
     higher layer networks
   * Experimental testbeds and results
   * Optical TDM networks -- alternative or complement to WDM

Original, unpublished contributions and invited articles will be considered
for the issue. Authors wishing to submit papers, should send an electronic
version (postscript or PDF files ONLY) to [email-masked] (Krishna
Sivalingam) or to [email-masked] (Bo Li). Authors are also requested to
submit a separate cover letter via email, which contains the paper title,
authors with affiliations, and a 200-word abstract. The paper should be
formatted to print on either A4 or 8.5"x11" paper. The paper should be no
longer than 20 double-spaced pages, excluding illustrations and graphs. If
electronic submission is impossible, please submit SIX hardcopies of the
paper to either Dr. Sivalingam or Dr. Li's regular mail addresses.

                  Submission Deadline:    October 15, 1999
                  Acceptance notification:February 1, 2000
                  Final manuscript due:   March 1, 2000
                  Publication of issue:   3rd Quarter 2000

        Prof. Bo Li                       Prof Krishna M. Sivalingam
        (Contact for Asian and            (Contact of US, Europe and
        Australian submissions)           other submissions)
        Dept of Computer Science          School of EECS
        Hong Kong Univ of Science & Tech  Washington State Univ
        Clear Water Bay, Kowloon          Pullman, WA 99164-2752
        Hong Kong                         Phone 509 335 3220
        Phone +852 2358 6976              Fax 509 335 3818
        Fax +852 2358 1477                [email-masked]
        [email-masked]

Dr. Ori Gerstel   Mr. Alan McGuire     Prof. George Rouskas  Dr. Zhensheng
Tellabs           Core Transport       Dept of Computer      Zhang
Operations        BT Laboratories      Science               Bell Labs, 3M-318
15 Skyline Dr     Martlesham Heath     Box 7534              Lucent
Hawthorne, NY     Ipswich, Suffolk     North Carolina State  Technologies
10532             128 B29              Univ                  101 Crawfords
[email-masked]   United Kingdom       Raleigh, NC           Corner Rd
                  [email-masked]  27695-7534            Holmdel, NJ 07733
                                       [email-masked]  [email-masked]