Subject: MANET publications

From: George Aggelou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:15:51 +0100

Dear MANET folks!

Many thanks for your contribution to set up the MANET publications
database, as I mentioned in a previous mail.
The MANET publications page is finally maintained and available from:
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Aggelou/MANET_PUBLICATIONS.html

The papers (conference and journals) available from this site are *only*
these ones whose authors explicitly asked me to include their papers in
this site.

People who would like to include their publications in this MANET
publications site, please e-mail me your paper(s).  
I will try to update the site frequently with more papers and lots of
MANET links.  Contributions are mostly welcome!!

Regards,
George A.

-- 
*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.     
George Aggelou			     	
Centre for Communications Systems Research   
Mobile Communications Research Group      		
University of Surrey  		     

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Aggelou     	
Tel:	+44 (0)1483 873468
Fax:	+44 (0)1483 259504		     	
*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

---

From: Padmanabhan Arvind <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:32:58 +0800

Dear Researchers,

I am currently doing research for ad hoc networking at the MAC layer and I
am sure some of you at MANET have done research in this area. I would be
glad if some of you can guide me on what has been done thus far at the MAC
layer.

Most (if not all) of the stuff I see at MANET are on routing issues. I would
like to find out if people have done studies at the MAC layer since
efficiency at the MAC layer is be an important issue before we look at
routing. Although routing schemes may be independent of MAC protocols it is
the MAC protocol that determines how efficiently valuable bandwidth is used.
This is especially relevant in an ad hoc network since packet collisions are
possible due to the distributed nature of any protocol in such a network.

Some known MAC protocols for ad hoc networks are MACA, MACAW, FAMA, and
DBTMA. IEEE 802.11 is also a possible protocol.

I am aware of the following works at the MAC layer:

1 Vaduvar Bharghavan, et. al., "MACAW: A Media Access Protocol for Wireless
LAN's," Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
University of California at Berkeley.

2 Jing Deng and Zygmunt J. Haas, "Dual Busy Tone Multiple Access (DBTMA): A
New Medium Access Control for Packet Radio Networks," IEEE ICUPC'98,
Florence, Italy, October 5-9, 1998

3 C.L. Fullmer, J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, "Floor Acquisition Multiple Access
for Packet Radio Networks," in SIGCOMM'95, pp. 262-273, ACM, 1995.

(I am unable to get hold of paper no. 3 above. Does anyone have a soft copy
of it ? Thanks. )

Thanks and Regards,
--
Arvind Padmanabhan
Research Engineer, Mobile Multimedia Research Laboratory (MMRL)
Electrical Engineering Dept., National University of Singapore
10 Kent Ridge Crescent
Singapore 119260
---------------------------------------------------------------
Tel: (+65) 874 5164

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:43:46 +0200

There is also the HIPERLAN type 1 MAC layer which includes ad-hoc routing.
We have some implementations in INRIA.

Philippe Jacquet

---

From: Chip Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:55:08 -0400

There has been a great deal of research in the MAC layer, dating from
1970 if not before. The packet radio work in the 70s and especially in
the 80s gave rise to a number of schemes.

Here are some papers that I like:

Norm Abramson, "The ALOHA System". Proc. Fall Joint Computer Conf, AFIPS,
1970.

A. Alwan et al, (Gerla & Kleinrock at UCLA): "Adaptive Multimedia Networks",
   my database doesn't say where it was published, 1996.

Digital Ocean patent, "Medium access control protocol for wireless
network", 1993.

Robert Gallagher, "A Perspective on multiaccess channels", IEEE Trans
  on Information Theory, March 1985.

Mario Gerla and J. Tsai, "Multicluster, mobile, multimedia radio network",
  my database doesn't say where published, 1995.

IEEE, Special Issue on Packet Radio Networks, Proc IEEE, January 1987.

Kahn et al, "Advances in packet radio technology", Proc IEEE, Nov 1978.

Clifford Lynch and E. Brownrigg, Packet Radio Networks. Pergamon Press, 1987.
 
Metricom patent, "Automatic power level control of a packet communication
link",
   1993.

Metricom patent, "Method for frequency sharing and frequency punchout in
   frequency hopping communications net", 1994.

Robert Morrow and J. Lehnert, "Packet throughput in slotted ALOHA DS/SSMA
  radio systems with random signature sequences". IEEE Trans Comm, July 1992.

Elvino Sousa and J. Silvester, "Spreading code protocols for distributed
  spread-spectrum packet radio networks", IEEE Trans Comm, Mar 1988.

J. Storey and Fouad Tobagi, "Throughput performance of an unslotted
direct-sequence
   SSMA packet radio network". IEEE Trans Comm, August 1989.

H. Takagi and Kleinrock, "Optimal transmission ranges for randomly distributed
  packet radio terminals", IEEE Trans Comm, March 1984.

Greg Troxel, "Time surveying: clock synchronization over packet networks",
   Tech Report MIT/LCS/TR-623, Lab for Computer Science, MIT, May 1994.

I think I remember a paper by Tobagi and Kleinrock, or multiple papers,
from the late 70s that introduce the idea of RTS/CTS to fight the
hidden terminal problem.

Also two theses that I find particularly good, both about 4-5 years old:

S. Ramanathan, U. Delaware, I recall its work on computing TDMA schedules.

T. Shepherd, MIT, Dencentralized Channel Management in Scalable Multihop
   Spread-Spectrum Packet Radio Networks. (1995)

Finally you should also check various commercial standards such
as 802.11 which has not one but two well-developed MAC schemes, CDPD,
and the GSM packet data mode.

Cheers and best wishes,

-- Chip Elliott, BBN

---

From: Jose Garcia-Luna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:58:09 PDT

pls go to:

http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/research/ccrg/publications.html

There is a section on MAC papers there from my group....and more routing :)

JJ

---

From: Ram Ramanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:50:18 -0400

Another "perspective" paper, especially for people new to the area is

F. Tobagi, "Multiaccess Protocols in Packet Communication Systems",
IEEE Transactions on Comm, April 1980

It surveys the various channel access approaches in a fundamental manner
for all kinds of networks including ad hoc (they used the term "multihop
radio" then).

For TDMA schemes, you may want to check out the following paper for the 
bibliography, the paper itself is probably too theoretical....

S. Ramanathan, "A Unified Framework and Algorithm for Channel Assignment in 
Multihop Wireless Networks", Wireless Networks 5 (1999) 81-94.

There is also good work by the military contractors like ITT Aerospace,
Hughes, Rockwell Collins, Raytheon etc. but these guys don't publish
much ;-) But the IEEE Milcom conference typically has some papers by them.

Finally, while you'd probably have lots more fun working at the MAC layer
than the network layer, I am not sure that the MANET working group is
the right forum for it. I think there was a discussion on this a year or so
ago and people said something like "we ought to be aware of effects of 
MAC layer, but MAC research is out of scope". But I could be completely
wrong, so you ought to check out the charter/archives or talk to the chair.

Hoope it helps,

-Ram.

P.S. For JJ and Co's paper on FAMA and lots more, you could check out their
web page at http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/research/ccrg/publications.html

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:58:57 -0400

>wrong, so you ought to check out the charter/archives or talk to the chair.

Ram:

One chair's thoughts ;-)

From my perspective, as you indicate manet's scope does not allow it to
serve as a focused MAC layer research forum (its an IP routing layer
engineering working group at its heart).  However, I want to add that I
feel this does not mean that MAC layer discussions and design
considerations aren't incredibly important to the process (more so than in
fixed networks). We have supported such discussions at previous IETF
meetings.  Also, there needs to be an ongoing understanding of interface
issues, assumptions, and interactions among designers and developers. Some
of the present manet routing and routing layer interface work already
reflects this thinking and process with design enhancements (e.g., hello
mechanisms,etc) when running over 802.11 like MAC layers.  There is alot
more rational for increased functional coupling and interface interaction
in this environment vs. the wired world.  I imagine this will continue to
evolve as wireless mac layers are proposed/matured so having an ongoing
discussion/awareness of MAC layer technology is extremely valuable . I, for
one, will continue to encourage related discussions, especially from the
aspects of performance interaction and improved routing layer interface
functionality.

-Joe

---

From: Fabrizio Talucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

Dear,
you might want also to know about MACA-BI (MACA By Invitation).
www.cs.ucla.edu/~talucci (look for Repository)
Cheers, 

 Fabrizio

---

From: Ajay Gummalla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 08:50:48 -0400

You could also take a look at this review paper i had written. 
It discusses the issues in the design of wireless MAC protocols 
in general and compares different design choices.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~ajay/survey.ps.gz

Ajay

PS: I would welcome any feedback from the members of this
community to improve the quality of the survey.

--
Ajay Chandra
 [email-masked]

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.
                -- Abraham Lincoln

---

From: Ajay Gummalla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:37:46 -0400

The paper should be available online by midnight today.
I am sorry for the inconvenience.. Anyway for anyone
who is interested in the paper immediately, i am attaching 
to this e-mail

Ajay

--
Ajay Chandra
 [email-masked]