Subject: question: OPNET for mobile ad hoc networks

From: Jeff Wieselthier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:26:17 -0500

Hi,

We have a question about using OPNET (version 7) to model ad hoc networks.

We are interested in models in which all nodes (routers and hosts) are mobile.

Thus, we would like to maintain wireless connectivity among the 
routers (using a wireless backbone network) and between hosts and 
router (over a LAN).

It seems that the current OPNET implementation supports only a single 
wireless interface at each node, while we need a simulation 
environment that can support two (i.e., one for the backbone and one 
for the LAN).

Does anybody have any suggestions on how we might implement such a 
model, either using OPNET or another simulation package.

Thanks!

     Best regards,
     Jeff Wieselthier

---

From: "Reilly, Martin T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:12:36 -0500

I have been modeling system like those you describe for the past 11 years in
OPNET. A 1000 node, mobile, ad hoc network protocol has been developed and
simulated within the opnet environment. The opnet tools set provides the
building blocks with which to develope your overall simulation. I assume the
wireless end you desire contains custom protocols. So using the opnet
provided radio reciever and transmitter modules you connect packet streams
to a process. This process [or possibly multiple processors] will model your
custom MAC, LLC, and Wireless routing algorithms. The inputs fed from the
host (wired) end are delivered to this process and routed through the
wireless net till they pop out the other end of the wireless cloud. These
inputs/outputs connect to your wired lan models. for example, you could use
the opnet provided ethernet and TCP/ip supplied models. all you need to do
is develope an interface module between them and your custom wireless
modules.

as a starting point, there is an 802.11 model in OPNET. it interfaces to
TCP/IP on the wired side and does an okay job at modeling the 802.11
wireless end [opnet has made some engineering tradeoff decisions in its'
coding].

Martin Reilly
Sr. Systems Engineer
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Wieselthier [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 1:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: karthikc; Sohil THAKKAR; Rajiv R Iyer; Jay Chen; Janice Chao;
[email-masked]; smilner
Subject: question: OPNET for mobile ad hoc networks

Hi,

We are interested in models in which all nodes (routers and hosts) are
mobile.

Thanks!

     Best regards,
     Jeff Wieselthier