Subject: Re: Possible looping situation in MAODV?

From: Elizabeth Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:38:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi Lusheng,

Yes, the node N could switch its upstream neighbor to whoever it
receives the RREP from, if that is a better route to the group leader
(i.e. shorter path length).

I don't really think it could end up deactivating the sub-tree
underneath node N.  Node N would not change any of its downstream
next hop pointers, and so those nodes will still be attached to
the tree through node N.  If you have a specific example of how
this might happen, perhaps you could point it out to me.

Elizabeth

~> 
~> Thanks for your reply.  Yes, that would fix the problem.
~> 
~> Another question is, when processing
~> a tree repair RREQ, some on-tree node, say node N,  may not be qualified
~> to reply if it's hop count is not small enough.  So N keeps forwarding
~> RREQ.  What will happen if a node, say R, receives the node N forwarded
~> RREQ and replies?  The reply path effectively cuts through a tree branch
~> at N. Appearently from the draft, N should switch its upstream neighbor to
~> whoever it receives RREP from.  But this could deactivate the sub-tree 
~> underneath node N.  I am not very clear about how MAODV handles this
~> situation and could you please give more details on this.
~>