Subject: Special Issue of the Transactions of the SCS

From: K Djemame <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:56:03 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Colleagues,

Should you receive multiple copies of this CFP, please accept my
apologies.

Please, forward the CFP to those colleagues of yours who may be
interested.

Regards,

Karim Djemame
University of Leeds, UK

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Issue of the Transactions of the Society for Computer Simulation
Part B on: Performance Modeling and Simulation of ATM Systems and
Networks

Guest Editor: Professor Mohammad S. Obaidat, 

ATM is one of the major enabling technologies of high-speed networking. It is 
the first technology that offers a corporation the capability to use a common 
enterprise-wide protocol and infrastructure for all voice, data, and video 
communications. ATM excels when applications require specific quality of 
service (QoS) and reserved bandwidth. ATM offers combined switching and 
routing within the WAN, as well as a backbone technology of choice for 
high-performance, QoS-aware campus backbone, coexisting with IP and LAN 
switching. These are the main key features that allow ATM to become the common 
platform for enterprise-wide computer communications. ATM allows a user to 
send voice, video, and data from his/her computer to peer nodes anywhere 
across the WAN. Furthermore, ATM provides the infrastructure of a seamless 
single protocol for all traffic types. It offers economies of scale in network 
infrastructure through by integrating different traffic types. ATM is more 
efficient than multiple separate networks. The trend is that traditional 
telecom carriers as well as many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) 
increasingly rely on ATM in their backbone infrastructure. It is a 
multiplexing and switching technology that provides flexibility, versatility, 
and scalability. ATM offers a tighter coupling between the user application 
and network protocol. It places intelligence into the WAN making the network 
smarter and allowing the network to become more like a computer and less than 
a dump transport medium. ATM excels when it is desirable for applications with 
different performance, QoS, and business requirements to be performed on the 
same computer multiplexer, router, switch, and/or network. ATM enables network 
managers to flexibly adapt to changing enterprise communications requirements, 
evolving business environment, and fluctuating traffic volumes and
patterns. 

Topics of interest include, but not limited to:

* IP over ATM 
* TCP over ATM			
* ATM over WDM  and DWDM
* ATM switching/switches
* Quality of Service (QoS)
* ATM LANs
* LAN Emulation (LANE)
* Connection Admission Control (CAC) protocols
* Multiservice ATM multiplexers 
* Voice over ATM
* ATM traffic management
* Traffic and congestion control
* Traffic Shaping		
* Delay and loss priority control	

* Flow control and congestion avoidance
* Buffering techniques
* IP/ATM vs. IP/SONET 
* Wireless ATM (WATM)	 
* Tools, Methodologies, and Applications
* Intelligent ATM networks
* ATM over Satellite systems
* ATM over xDSL
* ATM Cable Modem
* MultiProtocol Over ATM (MPOA)
* ATM-based cellular networks

Special Issue Guest Editor:
Prof. Mohammad S. Obaidat, Department of Computer Science, Monmouth University,
West Long Branch, NJ 07764, U.S.A.
Tel: 732-571-4482, e-mail: [email-masked]

Prospective authors are invited to submit electronically using word, ps, or 
pdf format their full papers that should not exceed 20 double-spaced pages 
including all illustrations by May 1, 2001 to the guest editor. Only original 
and previously unpublished papers are considered. If electronic submission is 
not possible, send five hard copies of the manuscript to the guest editor at 
his address listed above. All submitted papers will undergo the standard 
review procedure established by the Transactions of the Society for Computer 
Simulation. 

Schedule:
Submission Deadline of full papers: May 1, 2001
Notification of Acceptance: September 15, 2001
Final Manuscript Due: December 1, 2001
Tentative Publication Date: March 2002

--