Subject: IEEE 802.11 and ad hoc networks

From: MARIA ADAMOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:17:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi, 

I have a question concerning ad hoc networks. 
Does 802.11 support ad hoc networks? I know there is the notion of IBSS,
where every node has to be in range of each other, but what happens in the
case of multi-hop neighbors? Are they supposed to belong to the same ad
hoc network?
The standard says that all nodes in a IBSS are synchronized, does this
mean that the nodes in the 802.11 ad hoc network are synchronized?

Thanks,
Maria

---

From: "misan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:50:59 +0100

Yes, 802.11 cards can be set (at the driver level) for ad-hoc networking,
but this does not mean the standard is also giving a clue for routing tasks.

Ad-hoc mode means that nodes (in range) communicate directly. 802.11
addresses the media sharing.

You have two nodes that two synchronization functions are covered:
centralized and distibuted.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Miguel Sanchez

International Computer Science Institute
1947 Center St, Suite 636
Berkeley, CA, 94704