Subject: Re: research topics

From: "Rajan, Hridesh (Hridesh)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:43:15 +0530

Hi All,

--- Raghupathy Sivakumar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> In the context of the discussions that have been going on about dual-mode
networks:
> 
> 1. Fairness: Although the average throughput, delay, and power-consumption
characteristics of an ad-hoc network might be better, it is very likely that
there are a >good  number of nodes (flows) that perform much worse than in a
similar network operating in cellular mode. While unfairness in power
consumption can 
>potentially be addressed using a "revenue-sharing" scheme, unfairness in
throughput is less likely to be accomodated by network users.

I was wondering whether the time to address the QOS issues has come as
mentioned in the RFC 2501 on page 4 paragraph 1 which states that:
"The working group will also consider issues pertaining to addressing,
security, and interaction/interfacing with lower and upper layer protocols.
In the longer term, the group may look at the issues of layering more
advanced mobility services on top of the initial unicast routing developed.
These longer term issues will likely include investigating multicast and QoS
extensions for a dynamic, mobile area."
Although there is much work going on in the field of routing can anyone
guide me towards any work which addresses QOS issues in MANETs.
Thanks in advance,

Hridesh

Hridesh Rajan, Member of Technical Staff
Lucent Technologies   <<...OLE_Obj...>> 
Bell Labs Innovations

Tel:   +91 (80) 5271771 2582       Fax:  +91 (80) 5271777
mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Kui Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:37:45 -0700 (MST)

Hi, Hridesh:

I have done a review on the current work about QoS support in ad hoc
networks. If you are interested, it can be found at  
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~wkui/research/QoSReview.ps

It is just a review for my own use. It will be appreciated if anyone can
provide more clues on this issue.

Kui
    
Computing Science Dept.         |email: [email-masked]
U. of Alberta                   |Phone: (780) 492-7747 (O)
Edmonton,AB                     |
T6G 2E8                         |