Subject: AODV : active route timeout

From: Yves Prelot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:27:59 +0100

Hello,

I am in the process of implementtng AODV for Linux.
I have the following problem :
the draft says (8.8) that whenever a data packet is forwarded to a
destination, the lifetime of the route to that destination is modified
to "Current Time + ACTIVE_ROUTE_TIMEOUT".
While this seems quite straightforward, I find that there are some
problems to implement this, especially when I don't want to modify
existing IP layers.

- either the existing IP layer spies on data traffic and somewhere
updates a field telling at which time it forwarded the last packet to a
destination (if this is done, I'd welcome the information),
- or I have to spy myself on the data traffic, presumably within the
device driver for my network, and thus create a relationship between the
driver and the Routing Algorithm. This is damageable in particular
because the Routing Algorithm becomes dependant on the driver, and it
doesn't seem "clean" to be searching for IP addresses in the driver (we
would be violating the OSI layers).

Does anybody have already met and maybe solved this problem ?

Thanks,

Yves

---

From: Lawrence MacIntyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:21:04 -0500

Yves:

In Linux, at least, the route cache will be updated when a route is
used.  You can get the route cache info via a netlink socket.

-- 
                                 Lawrence
                                    ~
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lawrence MacIntyre      Center for Information Infrastructure Technology
[email-masked]   http://www.ciit.y12.doe.gov/~lpz     865.574.8696