Subject: METMBS'2001/Call for Papers

From: "Mourad Elloumi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 14:04:20 +0100

CALL FOR PAPERS

Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining in Biological Databases

                    Technical Session of

 The 2001 International Conference on Mathematics and
Engineering Techniques in Medicine and Biological Sciences

                      (METMBS'2001)

    Monte Carlo Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

                   June 25-28, 2001

http://www.univ-pau.fr/dataweb/conf/metmbs.html

With the development of Molecular Biology in last decades, biological
databases are growing rapidly in volume, number and complexity. On the other
hand, these databases are highly heterogeneous and geographically dispersed.
They represent data from a highly complex domain. A huge volume of
biological data is then available for the discovery and extraction of
knowledge, e.g., new concepts, concept relationships and pertinent patterns,
hidden in these databases. Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD) is an
emerging field that deals with such issues. In this field, we combine
techniques from Databases Management, Statistics and Artificial
Intelligence, to discover and extract knowledge from databases. Data mining
is one of the pre-processing steps in KDD process, it is the application of
specific tools for the discovery and extraction of pertinent patterns.
Numerous tools suitable for data mining in Biology are available, however
the selection of an ad hoc tool is non-trivial. Applied in Molecular
Biology, the KDD process should provide for the selection of the appropriate
data mining methods by taking into account both the characteristics of the
biological data and general KDD process requirements.

In our session, we are interested in papers that deal with issues of
knowledge discovery in biological databases, and issues of biological data
mining. We are also interested in papers that deal with the application of
data mining and KDD techniques in biological databases.

Contributions are subject to a possible publication in a special issue
of the "Knowledge Based Systems" Journal (Elsevier Science Amsterdam,
Holland).

INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
You are invited to submit a hardcopy or a pdf version of a draft paper,
about 4 to 5 pages including figures and references, before March 1, 2001 to
the Technical Session Chair :

 Dr. Mourad Elloumi,

 Mailing Address:
 Cite Intilak bloc 6, app. 7,
 El Menzah 6,
 2091 Tunis,
Tunisia.
Phone: (216 1) 233 253
 Fax: (216 1) 871 032
 E.Mail: [email-masked]

IMPORTANT DATES
March 1, 2001 (Thursday): Draft papers (about 4 to 5 pages) due
April 2, 2001 (Monday): Notification of acceptance
May 1, 2001 (Tuesday): Camera-Ready papers & Prereg. due
June 25 - 28, 2001: METMBS'2001 Conference