Subject: hadhoc and 802.11b for field experiment purpose

From: Olivier Coutant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:14:35 +0200

Hi everybody,

in this mail, two questions regarding an application for mobile Hadhoc network.

- I am running an instrumental project in seismology, where I plan to install in
the field something like ~ 50 seismic data acquisition system (DAS).
   I plan to equip each of these DAS (runnning embedded Linux OS) with a 802.11b
pcmcia radio card and run this radio network in Had-Hoc mode.
   The spatial size of this radio and seismic network will not extend  beyond
few hundred of meters, and the radio will not be used to transfer the
   data in real-time, but for control and tuning only. 802.11 devices fit
perfectly the needs, I just need to use small external radio antennas.
   Thus, I found the Had-hoc topology and your development extremely promising
to deploy scientific instruments in the following configuration:
    An operator cannot see all his instruments (trees, building,...), but they
all can be reached indirectly using IP routing.
    I have tested successfully the OLSR routing daemon that offers a minimum
response time to the operator request.
     Do you know of any similar experience or projet?

-   What is in your opinion (as far as you can read in the cristal) the future
of such radio devices: small power, 802.11a,b... ISM band (ie NOT 5GHz),
     pcmcia compatible?

Thank you for your responses

Olivier Coutant

--
Laboratoire de Geophysique Interne et Tectonophysique (UMR CNRS C5559),
Universite Joseph Fourier

adresse: BP 53X F38041 Grenoble Cedex, France
Tel:     +33 (0)4 76828029
Fax:     +33 (0)4 76828101