Subject: Re: AODV: RREP answer coming through an unknown neighbour

From: Yves Prelot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:25:04 +0200

Hello Samir,

Doesn't it seem odd to be using as next hop a node about which you have no
knowledge at all (except IP address) ?

I actually met this problem with my AODV routing daemon which just refused to
create the route for the new destination because the gateway (B) was not known
to the kernel IP routing table. Although I could bypass this technicality, I
believe there is something inherently wrong in using in the AODV routing table a
reference to an IP address which the table itself doesn't know how to reach.

Regards,

Yves

"Samir R. Das" wrote :

> Hello Yves,
>
> I am not sure I see any problem here. There is no reason for B to be "known"
> to A. A accepts the RREP from B, creates a route entry using B as next hop
> using the destination seq no. supplied by B. This is part of RREP processing
> in AODV. No special treatment is needed.
>
> Samir

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 07:15:50 -0700

Hello Yves,

> knowledge at all (except IP address) ?

What other kind of knowledge is needed about the next hop?

IP's traditional route table is built so that the next hop is
on the same subnet, but we don't necessarily have subnets, so
that the traditional route table model needs modifications.

Or, did I miss the point?

Regards,
Charlie P.

================================================================================