Subject: [manet] Security Considerations of AODV

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:29:31 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

The first paragraph of the AODV security considerations basically says the 
AODV packets should be authenticated.

The second paragraph seems to suggest that the _data_ sent between the 
nodes could be authenticated.  This appears to be the case.  This could 
also be interpreted to mean about AODV control packets, which would be 
wrong.

Where is the discussion about securing AODV control messages?  If it 
cannot be done, it should also be stated.

From Hop Count and other values which seem to be modifiable in transit it
appears that "hop-by-hop" security associations, every node having to
trust its neighbors (thus expanding the ring of trust) would be necessary:  
security of AODV protocol between non-neighbor AODV nodes does not appear
to be possible.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:25:48 +0300

Moi Pekka,

Securing AODV messages is possible.
I recomend you to take a look to my SAODV draft:
http://ant.eupvg.upc.es/~tarom/draft-tarom-manet-saodv-00.txt

You have pointed out one of the biggest problems I had when designing
SAODV: the mutable fields (i.e. hop count). Luckily Asokan came with
the proposal of using hash chains to secure the hop count. And,
although there are certain possible attacks against the authentication
of the hop count, I'm pretty satisfied about the overall security
that SAODV is now providing. (Except maybe in the RERR messages, where
more work still needs to be done)

BR/ManelG

---

From: Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:25:48 +0300

Moi Pekka,

BR/ManelG