Subject: [manet] DSR - Expanding ring search

From: Sudarshan N Raghavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:28:28 -500

Hi,                                                                   
Has any work been done on evaluating the performance of the expanding 
ring search algorithm in DSR ? If yes, could someone forward me the   
relevant links ?                                                      
                                                                      
Regards,                                                              
Sudarshan Raghavan                                                    
Computer Sc. Department                                               
NC State University                                                   

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Sudarshan N Raghavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:28:28 -500

Hi,                                                                   
                                                                      
Regards,                                                              
Sudarshan Raghavan                                                    
Computer Sc. Department                                               
NC State University

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:40:43 -0800

;-)

Well, the original Link 11 setup was what we'd today call a broadcast ring LAN.

Vintage mid-1950s.  Each participating unit took a number and each 
would send it's queue of track reports, followed by a token that was 
the cue for the next participating unit to send.  The problem was 
that if any member of the ring missed the cue, not only did that 
participating unit not send, but the whole network crashed.  This is 
not a Good Thing when you're under air attack.

Upon discovery of this behavior, Link 11 was changed to a polled 
broadcast network.  A network controller cues each participating unit 
in turn.  If a unit misses two polls, the controller gives up in 
disgust and goes on to the next unit.  This made the system much more 
robust against random receive failures, at the price of introduction 
of a single point of failure (the controller).  This weakness, in 
turn, was offset by designation of a backup network controller.

At 8:06 PM -0800 3/31/02, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there anybody currently (or in the past) who has worked on wireless
>mobile ad hoc networks using ring topologies?
>
>Are there key papers on this topic of manets with ring topologies?
>
>Thank you and best regards,
>Foo Chun Choong
>Open Source Software Lab,
>National University of Singapore
><http://opensource.nus.edu.sg>http://opensource.nus.edu.sg
>
>
><https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

-- 
b

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:40:43 -0800

;-)

-- 
b