Subject: [manet] Security Considerations of AODV

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:29:31 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

The first paragraph of the AODV security considerations basically says the 
AODV packets should be authenticated.

The second paragraph seems to suggest that the _data_ sent between the 
nodes could be authenticated.  This appears to be the case.  This could 
also be interpreted to mean about AODV control packets, which would be 
wrong.

Where is the discussion about securing AODV control messages?  If it 
cannot be done, it should also be stated.

From Hop Count and other values which seem to be modifiable in transit it
appears that "hop-by-hop" security associations, every node having to
trust its neighbors (thus expanding the ring of trust) would be necessary:  
security of AODV protocol between non-neighbor AODV nodes does not appear
to be possible.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Claude Castelluccia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:11:12 +0200

Hello Manel,

If i understand well the hash chains mechanism described in your
draft prevents a bad guy from modifying the HopCount field, right?
But why prevents a bad guy from not performing the hash of the HopCount
and just forwarding the packet as it is?  As a result, the path might appear
shorter that what it really is and might end-up being selected (this might
be the goal of the attacker..)?
Did i miss something?
thanks in advance for the clarification,
Claude.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Manel Guerrero Zapata <[email-masked]>
À : ext Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Cc : [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date : jeudi 18 avril 2002 10:28
Objet : Re: [manet] Security Considerations of AODV

>Moi Pekka,
>
>Securing AODV messages is possible.
>I recomend you to take a look to my SAODV draft:
>http://ant.eupvg.upc.es/~tarom/draft-tarom-manet-saodv-00.txt
>
>You have pointed out one of the biggest problems I had when designing
>SAODV: the mutable fields (i.e. hop count). Luckily Asokan came with
>the proposal of using hash chains to secure the hop count. And,
>although there are certain possible attacks against the authentication
>of the hop count, I'm pretty satisfied about the overall security
>that SAODV is now providing. (Except maybe in the RERR messages, where
>more work still needs to be done)
>
>BR/ManelG
>
>
>ext Pekka Savola wrote:
>> Hello,
>>