Subject: [manet] Standardizing IP's Under-specified Underbelly Draft Kickoff Party - Was Link API

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:37:52 -0400

Hi,

OK, seems like there is some interest.  Here is the list of interested folks I have so far.  
Have I missed anybody?  

[email-masked] - Scott Corson
[email-masked] - Einar Vollset
[email-masked] - Michael Gerharz
[email-masked] - Rex Buddenberg
[email-masked] - Mike Sasuta
[email-masked] - Dr. Chane Fullmer

If anybody else is interested in working on the draft please let me know.  If we come up with
a draft fairly quickly it may be submitted into the L2 tiggers BOF I suppose depending on
how/when that happens.  Either way we can see what the IESG says when we submit it.

I plan to send my first version of the drafty draft to the above folks in plain vanilla ASCII,
i.e. no IETF formatting at first.  Everybody can take a swipe at it and  mail it back to me.  

Meanwhile...  Here is a draft problem statement....  Please pile on.

Problem Statement
=============
Many years of development have gone into the TCP/IP protocol suite, primarily from a "top
down" design perspective where layer upon layer have been built upon each other.  Each
layer functions as a client accessing the server layer below it.  This model has served the global
Internet extremely well for many hears.  However, as software design methodologies have
progressed so have software design patterns.  The IP stack is highly standardized on
its "top" side, but it is proprietary/hidden and somewhat of a black art on its bottom side.

With the advent of ubiquitous wireless devices, it is extremely important to allow L2 devices
to form a tight coupling with the IP (L3) layer.  Wireless devices have links that can change
state on the order of milliseconds and routing, QoS, and security decisions, if they are to be
implemented at the IP layer, must interact quickly.  Currently, there are no standard event 
notification methods or triggering mechanisms into the under-specified under-belly of the IP
stack.

Proposed Title:  Steps Toward Standardizing IP's Underspecified Underbelly
(I hate this title, but it gets the point across)

Thanks,

Phil

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet