Subject: [manet] Preliminary comment on draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-00.txt

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:27:42 -0400

NOTE: This comment has been cross posted to NEMO/MANET, so be careful with
responses.

The draft draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-00.txt advocates adding an M-bit to the
router solicitation message which allows source IPv6 DAD'd addresses for link
local addresses to be forwarded over a MANET to an Internet gateway.

Rather than mucking with the solicitation and advertisements, an alternative might be
the following.  At least this seems to work for me.

1).  Allow the host to own a globally routable MIPv6 home address (possibly with its
      own DNS entry).
2).  The mobile MUST use this home address when forming a MANET.
3).  The mobile MUST be a MIPv6 client.
4).  In the mobile's HA coverage area, assuming a set of fixed MANET wireless routers
      supply this, the node will be reachable.
5).  When the node wanders to a foreign MANET coverage area with a different subnet,
      it may acquire a COA from DHCPv6, and be routable on that MANET subnet under
      that gateway.
6).  Let's postpone the inevitable security discussion for the moment.

It seems to me, that this has the desired effect of global connectivity for MANETs, does
not require any new messages, can be built today, and solves the NEMO problem as
well as the MANET global connectivity problem.  But then again, I could be missing
something.  Gentlefolk, start your flame throwers!!!

Thanks,

Phil Neumiller

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet