Subject: [manet] Complexity VS enhanced functionality & flexibility

From: "D Kothris, Electrical & Electronic Engineering" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:02:58 +0100

Dear co-workers,

I'm fairly new in this research area (about a year), and I am 
investigating ad hoc routing mechanisms. A kind of dilemma that has 
risen in my mind has driven me to put forward this question 
so that I can capture the general trend that exists within the MANET 
research community.

I am interested to find out whether complexity is thought of a just 
means to achieve further or improved functionality. I am pondering that
the answer to this is not one sided, so if the answer is "gray", would 
it be possible to get some suggestions of cases where simplicity in 
design might be sacrificed for a better performance trade-off. I fear 
that if i give an example some people might stick to that, but 
nevertheless I will give one just to be more colorful:

The use of a Neural network with multiple input feeds might be used 
as a part of a classification system, in order to decide upon the 
suitability of routing paths. This could only be one of many complex 
approaches that may exist within a routing protocol solution.

Please feel free to drop your comments. I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks 

Dimosthenis  (Dimos)

_________________________________________________________________ 
*****************************************************************
Dimosthenis Kothris	      Centre for Communications Research, 
			      University of Bristol,
			      Network & Protocols group

Address:		      Contact numbers: 	
_________________________________________________________________ 
Network & Protocols
Center for Communcations research
Merchant Venturers Building         Tel   :            +44 117 903 1104
Woodland Road                       Fax   :            +44 117 954 5206
Bristol BS8 1UB                     Mobile:           +44 7779 40 48 42
United Kingdom                      Email :     [email-masked]
*****************************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Abdul Aziz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:05:56 +0000

Hi,

Routing is Adhoc networks depends upon number of factors which effect the 
protocol design. A routing mechanism can certainly be complex one, but that 
would make more prone to fail against some of performance matrix measures. 
One example of such performance matrix being Processing time and Processing 
power. Both effect the efficiency in routing one way or the other. More the 
processing time, the more delays one would be relaying packets. As a result, 
you wouldn't be able to use any simple time out mechanism. You might also be 
experiencing fading channels, one way routes, and other such discrepencies 
because of power loss.
Any mechanism for routing that can guarantee integrity of packet, security, 
minimum hop to destination, less processing delay, and less consumption of 
power would be an ideal candidate.

hope that helped,
Abdul Aziz

>From: "D Kothris, Electrical & Electronic Engineering" 
><[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [manet] Complexity VS enhanced functionality & flexibility
>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:02:58 +0100
>
>Dear co-workers,
>

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: "Abdul Aziz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:05:56 +0000

Hi,

hope that helped,
Abdul Aziz