Subject: [manet] Dumb Question?

From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 15:08:27 -0600

Hello,

I am looking for a term, but have had no luck.

In wired nets, a packet is routed through the network from node to node, say
by routing tables.  However, in MANETs, in which packets are broadcast via
omnidirectional antennae on a shared channel, such a thing is not possible.
Instead, each node that receives a packet  decides to:
     1.  Discard the packet,
     2.  "Read" the packet, since it is addressed to the node, and/or
     3.  Rebroadcast the packet.

If the node is not to be an intermediary node in the end-to-end path between
the source and the destination, or if the node is receiving a copy of a
packet it had previously broadcast, it will not broadcast the packet.  This
is necessary to avoid overutilizing the channel.

If the node is an intermediary node on the path, then it must rebroadcast
the packet.  

I've got this much figured out, but what I do not know is what this process
is called.  It is the MANET equivalent to "routing," but is not really
routing, since the sending node has no way of directing the packet.  

I've tried a number of searches and read a few glossaries, but have not been
able to find this term.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

John P. Mullen

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Tao Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 17:38:21 -0400

What you discorved are correct. MANET is just a term to describe the type of
network (Mobile Ad hoc NETwork). Generally speaking, MANET routing protocols
are used to help nodes to discover routes for all data packets.

Since MANET topology can be random, routes can fail due to the movements of
nodes. MANET routing protocols should be able to automatically detect that
and recover failed paths. These protocols will help nodes to build proper
routing table, which is similar to that of wired network, in real time.
Don't know whether this replies your question.

Tao

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mullen, John P. (Contractor)"
<[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 5:08 PM
Subject: [manet] Dumb Question?

---

From: "Tao Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 17:38:21 -0400

Tao