Subject: [manet] Fixed Vs Ad-hoc network question?

From: Daniel Oldham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:43:50 GMT

Hello everyone:

Ad-hoc networks have advantages for applications where it is not possible 
to deploy a base station to cover all the mobile nodes and in situations 
where nodes can be lost or destroyed. I also see in the news, a Navy ship 
that just deployed a wireless fixed network structure using access points 
and ultra wide band (UWB) technology. 

UWB technology is more resistive to interference then 802.11 and 
hopefully more secure. UWB technology can also be used in a ad-hoc 
network instead of 802.11 to help mask the active source problem for 
military applications. 

My understanding is that when using 802.11 hardware in a wireless fixed 
structure network, the access point (base station) allows for up to a 
possible 2048 nodes with about 50 active nodes, being the realistic 
usable maximum. 

When using 802.11 hardware in an ad-hoc network, the access point is 
removed and for the same area, only about 10 nodes can now be supported.  
This is really due to the limit of using only one channel on the 802.11 
hardware and not due to the routing protocol. 

So my question is this: For every ad-hoc network is there an equivalent 
fixed structure network? 

--
Daniel R. Oldham Ph.D.
Computer Engineer
Satellite Networks and Architectures Branch
NASA Glenn Research Center
21000 Brookpark Road (MS 54-5)
Cleveland OH 44135
216.433.6307 - voice
216.433.8705 - fax
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet