Subject: [manet] Which approach better for QoS implementation?

From: Liangping Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:45:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, everyone,

    I am implementing INSIGNIA, a type of QoS, in glomosim. The appraoch
is to change the behavior of the IP functionality of each node so that INSIGNIA
can be supported. The problem is that I do not want any application (for
exmaple, ftps) to be served with INSIGNIA. Instead, the user can configure
which nodes to use INSIGNIA to their applications, and which nodes to use
Best Effort (ordinary) service. One way is that the user specifies the
type of service to be used in the packets from the application layer, and
then the lower layers snoop this information. The other way is to
explictly let the IP layers of specific nodes (for example, client nodes
for ftps) to initiate INSIGNIA, and everything in the application and
transport layer remains the same.

     If I adopt the first approach, I have to change the application
layer, and the transport layer. For example, I may need to create a type
of application called INSIGNIA ftp. For the second approach, no change is
made in layers above IP, and the QoS is exclusively a task of the IP
layer. But the user has to give commands to the IP layers of some nodes.
This may cause some problems in configuration (config.in).

      Which approach is easier to implement for simulation? And which
would be used in the real world?

Thanks!

Sincerely yours,
Liangping Ma

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet