Subject: [manet] Node misbehavior and source routing

From: "Sherif E. Mohamed Khattab" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:49:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

  Regarding the problem of mitigating node misbehavior in ad hoc networks
(a "misbehaving" node participates in routing but drops data packets.) Most of 
the current solutions consider source routing protocols (e.g., DSR). Is
there a specific reason for that?

Thanks,

Sherif

*---------------------------------*
    Sherif E. Mohamed Khattab       
         Ph.D. Student		      
   Department of Computer Science  
     University of Pittsburgh        
 http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~skhattab
*---------------------------------*

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:34:11 +0100

Hi ...

> there a specific reason for that?

Of course it's quite convenient to have the complete route information 
available in each node. But other approaches like Secure AODV or SRP 
don't use DSR.

The best solution would be of course to have a security mechanism that 
is independant of the routing protocol but that would be hard to do when 
this mechanism has to do consistency checks on the routing information 
distributed.

So most people designing security mechanisms either choose one of the 
popular AH routing protocols as an example or designs a new protocol 
(again most of the time derived from an existing one).

Regards ... Frank

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Frank Kargl          Multimedia Computing, University of Ulm, Germany
  Mail:[email-masked] http://www.uni-ulm.de/~fkargl/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use the SOURCE, Luke !  I feel a great disturbance in the SOURCE.
             But beware of the Microsoft side of the SOURCE !

---

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:34:11 +0100

Hi ...

Regards ... Frank