Subject: [manet] Node misbehavior and source routing

From: "Sherif E. Mohamed Khattab" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:49:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

  Regarding the problem of mitigating node misbehavior in ad hoc networks
(a "misbehaving" node participates in routing but drops data packets.) Most of 
the current solutions consider source routing protocols (e.g., DSR). Is
there a specific reason for that?

Thanks,

Sherif

*---------------------------------*
    Sherif E. Mohamed Khattab       
         Ph.D. Student		      
   Department of Computer Science  
     University of Pittsburgh        
 http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~skhattab
*---------------------------------*

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Ranga Ramanujan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:33:55 -0600

Frank:
Concur with you on the need for protocol-independent 
mechanisms for security in ad hoc networks. Our paper 
below that was published in MILCOM 2002 takes a stab at
such an approach. It presents protocol-independent techniques
for dealing with a particular aspect of security in ad hoc networks, 
i.e. defenses for denial-of-service attacks on data traffic. A prototype 
implementation of the mechanisms described in the paper has 
been completed.    

R. Ramanujan, S. Kudige, S. Takkella, T. Nguyen, F. Adelstein, 
"Intrusion-Resistant Ad Hoc Wireless Networks," Proceedings of MILCOM
2002, October 2002.  www.atcorp.com/research/publications/papr2002.htm 

Ranga

Ranga Ramanujan
Architecture Technology Corporation
9971 Valley View Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

-----Original Message-----
From:	Frank Kargl [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, December 05, 2002 3:34 AM
To:	Sherif E. Mohamed Khattab
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: [manet] Node misbehavior and source routing

Hi ...

> there a specific reason for that?

Of course it's quite convenient to have the complete route information 
available in each node. But other approaches like Secure AODV or SRP 
don't use DSR.

The best solution would be of course to have a security mechanism that 
is independant of the routing protocol but that would be hard to do when 
this mechanism has to do consistency checks on the routing information 
distributed.

So most people designing security mechanisms either choose one of the 
popular AH routing protocols as an example or designs a new protocol 
(again most of the time derived from an existing one).

Regards ... Frank

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Frank Kargl          Multimedia Computing, University of Ulm, Germany
  Mail:[email-masked] http://www.uni-ulm.de/~fkargl/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use the SOURCE, Luke !  I feel a great disturbance in the SOURCE.
             But beware of the Microsoft side of the SOURCE !

---

From: Ranga Ramanujan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:33:55 -0600

Frank:

Ranga

Ranga Ramanujan

-----Original Message-----
From:	Frank Kargl [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, December 05, 2002 3:34 AM
To:	Sherif E. Mohamed Khattab
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: [manet] Node misbehavior and source routing

Hi ...

Regards ... Frank

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:04:31 -0500

> there a specific reason for that?

The direct answer I would give to this question is that with source routing, a MANET protocol does not need to depend on any special attributes of the IP addresses of the member hosts. The IP addresses are arbitrary numbers from a flat address space, allowing tha MANET hosts, for example, to use their own home IP addresses and to use Mobile IP as it is written.

Bert