Subject: [manet] Suggestions for new problem statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:04:31 -0800

To all,

I would like to offer some suggestions for the new problem statement.  
Joe presented a preliminary problem statement that said the protocol 
should support up to 100 nodes, but I know this is up for discussion.

At the meeting in Atlanta, at least one person suggested 
that we not limit ourselves to only 100 nodes since some or all
of the proposed protocols can already support more than that,
and I agree with this.  

I know that AODV, TBRPF, and OLSR can all support at least 250 nodes
and probably more, using 802.11 with rate 2 Mbps.

I think the protocol should be as scalable and efficient as 
possible without being "too complex", and without using
hierarchical routing.  

It is generally agreed that the protocol should be extendable
to a scalable protocol (e.g., using a hierarchical method such
as landmark routing).
HOWEVER, IF THE PROTOCOL CAN SUPPORT MORE NODES WITHOUT USING
HIERARCHICAL ROUTING, THEN ITS HIERARCHICAL EXTENSION WILL
SUPPORT MORE NODES.  (The same is true for other scalability
techniques such as HSLS and FSR.)

Perhaps the problem statement can give 100 or 250 nodes as a 
*minimum requirement*, and state that when alternative techniques are 
available that are reasonably simple and well understood, preference 
should be given to techniques that perform better, e.g. that:

  1. Support more nodes 
  2. Support a higher level of mobility and dynamics
  3. Have better delivery ratio and end-to-end delay
  4. Provide shorter paths
  5. Generate less overhead (or "total overhead")
  6. Support lower bandwidth links 

We also need to be careful about stating the minimum requirements for
mobility.  For example, the number of topology changes per second for 
nodes traveling 20 mps according to the random waypoint model is much 
greater in an urban environment than it is in an open field.

Richard 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet