Subject: RE: [manet] Node misbehavior and source routing

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:04:31 -0500

Sherif E. Mohamed Khattab wrote:

>   Regarding the problem of mitigating node misbehavior in ad 
> hoc networks
> (a "misbehaving" node participates in routing but drops data 
> packets.) Most of 
> the current solutions consider source routing protocols 
> (e.g., DSR). Is
> there a specific reason for that?

The direct answer I would give to this question is that with source routing, a MANET protocol does not need to depend on any special attributes of the IP addresses of the member hosts. The IP addresses are arbitrary numbers from a flat address space, allowing tha MANET hosts, for example, to use their own home IP addresses and to use Mobile IP as it is written.

Bert
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:46:46 +0100

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>> Regarding the problem of mitigating node misbehavior in ad hoc
>> networks (a "misbehaving" node participates in routing but drops
>> data packets.) Most of the current solutions consider source
>> routing protocols (e.g., DSR). Is there a specific reason for that?
> 
> The direct answer I would give to this question is that with source
> routing, a MANET protocol does not need to depend on any special
> attributes of the IP addresses of the member hosts. The IP addresses
> are arbitrary numbers from a flat address space, allowing tha MANET
> hosts, for example, to use their own home IP addresses and to use
> Mobile IP as it is written.

As long as a routing protocol supports host routes (as do practically
all of the MANET routing protocols incl. AODV, OLSR ...), the IP address
can be treated as a flat 32-bit ID. This is no special property of
source-routing protocols.

The structure of an IP address becomes relevant when automatic address
assignment or an (or even multiple) Internet gateway(s) come into play.

Regards ... Frank

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Frank Kargl          Multimedia Computing, University of Ulm, Germany
   Mail:[email-masked] http://www.uni-ulm.de/~fkargl/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Use the SOURCE, Luke !  I feel a great disturbance in the SOURCE.
              But beware of the Microsoft side of the SOURCE !

---

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:46:46 +0100

Regards ... Frank