Subject: [manet] WG Mtg Summary -- Comment on Consensus

From: Scott Corson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:54:12 -0500

Folks,

This is a heads up for those not present in Atlanta and a request for
comment.

The WG met and principally discussed developments underway as a consequence
of rechartering activities.  A decision has been made by the ADs and WG
chairs to convert MANET from the psuedo-research mode of its origin into a
pure engineering group, with more mature technical work proceeding through
group consensus and scoped problem statements. The proposed approach for
rechartering and updated milestones was presented at the meeting and there
was a clear consensus of agreement that this is a good way forward.  In
parallel with MANET rechartering, an IRTF MANET RG was created as a subgroup
of the IRTF Routing RG.  The research theme of this RG is "scalability". A
set of the existing IETF MANET proposals (FSR, LANMAR, TORA, ZRP)--all
originally targeted at scalability--have been selected for relocation to
this RG.  The remaining IETF MANET I-Ds (AODV, DSR, OLSR,TBRPF) are roughly
completed and are to be submitted for Experimental RFC status to encourage
additional third party experimentation with concepts and implementations.
Lessons learned from the past years' development of these core protocols
will form the basis for the design of the new consensus-based protocol work.
The meeting concluded with four presentations giving the current status of
each of the core MANET I-Ds.

I am requesting any additional input from the list (agreement/disagreement?)

regarding this WG direction.

-Scott
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet