Subject: Re: [manet] security highlights in ad hoc networks

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:51:08 +0100

stream stream wrote:
> hi there,
> 
> i began my search about security in mobile adhoc networks and i face 
> many problems.

You should perhaps first read a couple of papers or presentations
regarding MANET security. A good starting point might be the
http://lcawww.epfl.ch/buttyan/June12/
There you find the presentations of an working session on MANET security
at this year's Mobihoc.

Furthermore Feng Zhu keeps a quite ample bibliography list on papers
related to MANET security at
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/zhufeng/security_manet.html

> i would be very pleased if anybody answers me some of the 
> questions below:
> 
> - what are tha main risks?. is there solutions?

You find a lot of discussions on these issues in the ressources above.
There is no short answer (esp. to the second question).

> - can we use ip in ad hoc networks ?

This is not directly related to security. As most research projects
currently focus on creating IP MANETs, the answer is propably yes.

> - is there any  protocol for security (application like ssl or smime..)?

SSL or smime are application level protocols that can of course also be
used in MANETs. When talking about MANET security you propably think of
securing the routing function. There are a number of proposals like
ARIADNE, CORE and more.

> -waht are the protocols (not routing algorithms) ( niveau applicatif) in 
> ad hoc networks.

I can only guess that you ask what applications are supposed to run in
MANETs. This is again a large area ranging from military applications
and search&rescue to ordinary Internet applications like WWW.

> - can we use ipsec

In my oppinion, IPSEC doesn't address many of the MANET specific
security issues like DoS on the routing infrastructure or selfish nodes
not participating in the routing function. Furthermore protocols like
IKE are way to complex to be implemented in small devices and normal
PKIs are also not suitable in this context. So we propably need
something different (or at least augment IPsec significantly) to really
provide security for MANETs.

> - what are the protocols of communication ( address, paquets....)

You might want to read one of the books on MANETs, e.g.:
Perkins, Ad hoc networking, Addison Wesley 2000
Toh, Ad hoc mobile wireless networks, PH PTR 2001

> any help would be appreciated

Hope this helps.

Regards ... Frank

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Frank Kargl          Multimedia Computing, University of Ulm, Germany
   Mail:[email-masked] http://www.uni-ulm.de/~fkargl/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Use the SOURCE, Luke !  I feel a great disturbance in the SOURCE.
              But beware of the Microsoft side of the SOURCE !

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:51:08 +0100

Hope this helps.

Regards ... Frank

---

From: feng zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:08:04 -0800 (PST)

--- Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
> http://lcawww.epfl.ch/buttyan/June12/

I think it is easier to use the following link
http://lcawww.epfl.ch/buttyan/June12/index.html
instead of the above one. A very small point. :-)

I plan to update it soon. I hope I can make it more
helpful. Any comment will be appreciated.

Best,
Feng

=====
==============================
ZHU, Feng
[email-masked]
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/zhufeng/security_manet.html

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: feng zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:08:04 -0800 (PST)

Best,
Feng

=====