Subject: [manet] NS-2

From: "Bilal Al Momani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:48:43 +0300

Dear friends

I have just started reading about MANET two weeks ago. I would like to do 
some simulation on manet routing protocols and dynamic addressing. I have 
been adviced to work on ns-2, but i have no idea what this simulation is and 
how can i get this simulation? Is it straight forward simulation?
If any body can give some comments about that i would be so greatful.

Thanks

Bill

_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Andrew Thiessen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:12:07 -0600

Bill,

I would start at the URL below. There is a lot of good documentation on
the site to get you up and running. The ability to simulate MANET
routing protocols is not built in (I think, someone correct me if I am
wrong), but probably best not to start with that out of the box anyway.

http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/

Andrew Thiessen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Bilal Al Momani
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 9:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] NS-2

Dear friends

I have just started reading about MANET two weeks ago. I would like to
do 
some simulation on manet routing protocols and dynamic addressing. I
have 
been adviced to work on ns-2, but i have no idea what this simulation is
and 
how can i get this simulation? Is it straight forward simulation?
If any body can give some comments about that i would be so greatful.

Thanks

Bill

---

From: "Andrew Thiessen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:55:44 -0600

Thanks Ali...

I do have a general question for the group. I am gearing up to simulate
some modifications to some popular MANET protocols, and my organization
has access to both NS2 (gotta love free stuff) and OPNET. Which would
people recommend (taking into account that I have)?

Andrew Thiessen

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali Hamidian [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 10:26 AM
To: Andrew Thiessen
Cc: 'Bilal Al Momani'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] NS-2

Hi,

Andrew Thiessen wrote:

>wrong),
4 ad hoc routing protocols are implemented in ns: DSDV, TORA, DSR and 
AODV (moreover you can download implementations of ZRP and OLSR from the

Internet). Once you've installed ns, you should start reading Marc Greis

tutorial which is a very good introduction to ns: 
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/tutorial/index.html

> but probably best not to start with that out of the box anyway.
>
Regards
Ali Hamidian

---

From: Ali Hamidian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:25:52 +0200

Hi,

Regards
Ali Hamidian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:54:16 +0530

Bill,

Since you have just started simulations, I think ns2 will be a good
software. You can also have a look at 14 days trial version of QualNet. But
before using that, get accustomed to ns2 and then you can really benefit
from QualNet. It's a great software. My friends have told me that Opnet is
also a good simulator for ad hoc networks. Since it is not an open source
(and is very expensive), I didn't use it.

When you will be doing simulations in ns2, you have to analyze the trace
files. The major difficulty of any beginner is how to analyze them and how
to draw the graphs. You can use awk or perl language for that. But if you
don't want to spend time in learning them, you can use the software
developed by me when I was doing my bachelor thesis.

You can download the software from
http://www.geocities.com/ankurjain009/projects.htm

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Ankur

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]  On Behalf Of
Bilal Al Momani
Sent:	Monday, June 23, 2003 9:19 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[manet] NS-2

Dear friends

Thanks

Bill