Subject: [manet] RREQ aggregation in AODV

From: "He Huang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:13:21 -0400

Hello,

I'm not sure if this question has been addressed in some place of the
draft or someone has
brought it before. I'm asking it anyway. Think about such a scenario,

Scenario:
          Many clients are connecting to a hot destination  (e.g., file
server or web server) in ad
hoc network. When the destination moves to new location, all connections
are broken and
all the clients will need to reinitialize a discovery activity for the
destination.

Question:
          It is very likely that one intermediate node receives many
RREQs from different SRCs
but for the same destination.  Section 6.5 in AODV draft mentions that
all RREQs will be
broadcasted except that the same RREQ (with the same SRC IP and
unexpired RREQID)
has been received before.  My suggestion is that, except the same RREQ
checking,
the intermediate node will check if the destination has been request
before it broadcast the
RREQ. If it has received an RREQ for the destination within an unexpired
period, the
intermediate node will only need to record the RREQ info without
broadcasting the RREQ.
The RREP can still be unicasted to every requesting SRCs.

The obvious benefit from such aggregation is to reduce the overhead due
to the RREQ flooding.

Any comment?

He Huang

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Paul Tan Hock Lai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:54:03 +0800

Hi Huang He,

I also shared your similar idea, as flooding in a wireless media (delay, collision) will definitely degrade the performance. I am currently working on it. Hope to discuss with you further.

However, I am also looking into the possibility of using 'aggregation mechanism' for other purposes (e.g. routing information, route maintenace).

Cheers,
Paul Tan

>>> He Huang <[email-masked]> 15-Jun-03 10:13:21 PM >>>
Hello,

Scenario:

Question:

Any comment?

He Huang