Subject: RE: [manet] OSPF vs OLSR/TBRPF for a "semi"-mobile wireless netwo rk?

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:03:12 -0400

Hi Andreas,

> This is very interestihng. What kind of efforts? Where can
> I find out more about them?
I know Fred Baker presented the folowing in one of the IETF's, which uses
OSPFv3.

http://inet2002.org/CD-ROM/lu65rw2n/papers/ti3-b.pdf

Thomas Henderson had a paper on defining a new "wireless" interface type for
OSPFv2. Besides I know Cisco is working on the effort of defining changes to
OSPF for MANET.

Thanks and hope this helps,
Vishwas 

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Hafslund [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 17:54
To: Emmanuel Baccelli; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] OSPF vs OLSR/TBRPF for a "semi"-mobile wireless
network?

> In fact there are numerous problems with the use of OSPF as is on wireless
> links. It may work to some extent if the nodes are not moving (you were
> talking about semi-mobility). 
 
What are the problems with OSPF for wireless (mostly static) links? Any
thoughts/ideas/references? I am very interested in knowing about these
problems.
 
The backbone radio nodes will usually not be moving. However, a solution
that can handle some movements is prefered. The movement will be: "bring
down the radio link, move the vehicle, put up the radio link again". I think
that OSPF can handle this, because you are manually putting down and up the
link again. It would be better to have the radio link up even though you are
moving, but it is not necessary.
 
But, if an ad hoc routing protocol like OLSR or TBRPF can work as
effectively as OSPF for this backbone network, I would prefer an ad hoc
routing protocol. Are there any thoughts about OSPF vs OLSR/TBRPF for such
bacbone (mostly static) wireless networks?

> Actually several different efforts are under work on the subject of OSPF
on wireless links and ad-hoc networks.

This is very interestihng. What kind of efforts? Where can I find out more
about them?
 
Thanks for your reply.
 
Regards,
Andreas Hafslund
THALES Communications AS
Norway

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet