Subject: [manet] OSPF vs OLSR/TBRPF for a "semi"-mobile wireless network?

From: "Andreas Hafslund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:59:28 +0200

All,

I am considering a "semi"-mobile wireless network with "broadband" radio links. Typical bandwidth between 2 Mbps up to 30-40 Mbps. These radio routers will usually not be moving, however, they need to be quickly operational when deployd. Also, they will be deployed in vehicles, so it can be an advantage if they also are operational when moving. Each radio router will have one or more mobile ad hoc network running as a subnetwork.

What I am interested in knowing is if the best solution is to run OSPF in this backbone radio network, or if there are any advantages in running OLSR or TBRPF. What is the gain and loss (overhead etc), support for mobility etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/real life experience/simulation results with scenarios like this.

Note, I will be running an ad hoc routing protocol in the subnetwork, but what is the best solution for the backbone radio (IP)-network?

Regards,
Andreas Hafslund
THALES Communication AS
Norway

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Lawrence MacIntyre <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jun 2003 10:20:56 -0400

Andreas:

It depends on the relative movement of your backbone nodes.  In general,
however, OSPF is designed for infrastructured networks with relatively
little change.  It is conservative about noticing change, which isn't
generally good in an Ad-hoc network, and it is very noisy when it
finally sends the updates, which is also not usually very good in an
Ad-hoc network.  However, if there are only a few backbone nodes and
they are always in the same relative configuration, then it really won't
matter much.

-- 
    Lawrence MacIntyre     865.574.8696     [email-masked]
               Oak Ridge National Laboratory
High Performance Information Infrastructure Technology Group

---

From: "Emmanuel Baccelli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:28:12 +0200

In fact there are numerous problems with the use of OSPF as is on wireless
links. It may work to some extent if the nodes are not moving (you were
talking about semi-mobility). But on the other hand, it will essentially not
work if the nodes are moving. In this case, the use of an ad-hoc protocol
(like OLSR or TBRPF) is advisable for now. Actually several different
efforts are under work on the subject of OSPF on wireless links and ad-hoc
networks.
Emmanuel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Hafslund" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 3:59 PM
Subject: [manet] OSPF vs OLSR/TBRPF for a "semi"-mobile wireless network?

> All,
>
> I am considering a "semi"-mobile wireless network with "broadband" radio
links. Typical bandwidth between 2 Mbps up to 30-40 Mbps. These radio
routers will usually not be moving, however, they need to be quickly
operational when deployd. Also, they will be deployed in vehicles, so it can
be an advantage if they also are operational when moving. Each radio router
will have one or more mobile ad hoc network running as a subnetwork.
>
> What I am interested in knowing is if the best solution is to run OSPF in
this backbone radio network, or if there are any advantages in running OLSR
or TBRPF. What is the gain and loss (overhead etc), support for mobility
etc.
> Note, I will be running an ad hoc routing protocol in the subnetwork, but
what is the best solution for the backbone radio (IP)-network?

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jun 2003 08:45:58 -0700

Andreas,

It depends a lot on what you mean by 'moving' and your explanation
leaves some ambiguity.

One definition is a simple geographical move that may mean that a
station is not operating (or is shaded) for a period of time.  But when
that station comes back up, the network topology isn't changed.  

Another definition of 'move' is topopology change, meaning that the
network needs to be reconverged.  

In real world mobile situations, both versions happen but they affect
the network in different ways.  If you have links and nodes that
disappear and reappear (first definition), then you want some stability
in the network since that intermittency should not trigger a lot of net
convergence overhead activity.  If it did, you'd get oscillations and
likely some instabilities.  The US Navy is using OSPF in its ship-shore
autonomous systems and it seems to be well suited to this situation -- a
ship may go in and out of satellite connectivity, but that doesn't
affect the topology -- after, say, a power failure, the ship will come
back up and the net topology is unchanged.  In this case, some of the
things we don't like about OSPF in MANET (lethargic reactions to
topology changes) are good.  

-- 
Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>

---

From: Pandurang Kamat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:19:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,
Can anyone please point me to some resources/papers etc that deal with
1] mobile code or agent systems in ad-hoc and/or sensor networks.
2] approaches to defending ad hoc networks against intrusions and
malicious nodes 

Also, if there are any simulators out there that allow modelling mobile
code behaviour ?
 
- Pandurang Kamat
PhD student 
Department of Computer Science 
Rutgers University

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Pandurang,

> Can anyone please point me to some resources/papers etc
...
> 2] approaches to defending ad hoc networks against
> intrusions and malicious nodes

You will find a good summary of the security approaches for ad hoc and
sensor networks at:

	http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/zhufeng/security_manet.html

Also, below I list some of our works in this area ... enjoy!

Zygmunt.
==--==-==
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas                    http://people.ece.cornell.edu/haas 
Wireless Networks Laboratory		 http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
School of Electrical Engineering         
Cornell University			 tel: +1-607-255-3454
323 Frank Rhodes Hall			 fax: +1-607-255-9072
Ithaca, NY 14853			 e-mail: [email-masked]
U.S.A                             
	WNL web page: http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

==========================================================================
	L. Zhou and Z.J. Haas, "Securing Ad Hoc Networks," IEEE Network
Magazine, vol. 13, no.6, November/December 1999 

       P.Papadimitratos and Z.J. Haas, "Secure Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc
Networks,"SCS Communication Networks and Distributed Systems Modeling and
Simulation Conference (CNDS 2002), San
Antonio, TX, January 27-31, 2002. 

       P. Papadimitratos and Z.J. Haas, "Secure Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc
Networks," Working Session on Security in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, EPFL,
June 12, 2002 (published in Mobile Computing
and Communications Review, vol.6, no.4 ) 

       P. Papadimitratos and Z.J. Haas, "Performance Evaluation of Secure
Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks," poster presentation, ACM Workshop on
Wireless Security (WiSe), Atlanta, GA,
September 28, 2002 

       P. Papadimitratos and Z.J. Haas, "Secure Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,"
The Handbook of Ad Hoc Wireless Networks, CRC Press 2003 

       P. Papadimitratos and Z.J. Haas, ``Secure Link State for Mobile Ad
Hoc Networks,'' IEEE Workshop on Security and Assurance in Ad hoc
Networks, in conjunction with the 2003 International Symposium on 
Applications and the Internet, Orlando, FL, January 28, 2003 

       P. Papadimitratos and Z.J. Haas, ``Secure Message Transmission in
Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,'' Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks Journal, vol. 1, no. 1,
Jan/Feb/March 2003 

==========================================================================

---

From: Chien-Chung Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:04:29 -0400 (EDT)

> 1] mobile code or agent systems in ad-hoc and/or sensor networks.

Pandurang,

  Take a look at the following two papers.

  Chien-Chung Shen, Chavalit Srisathapornphat, and Chaiporn Jaikaeo,
  An Adaptive Management Architecture for Ad hoc Networks,
  IEEE Communications, Vol. 41, No. 2, February, 2003, pp. 108-115.

  Chien-Chung Shen, Chavalit Srisathapornphat, and Chaiporn Jaikaeo,
  Sensor Information Networking Architecture and Applications,
  IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 8, No. 4, August 2001, pp. 52--59.

> Also, if there are any simulators out there that allow modelling mobile

  We simulated both systems in Glomosim/QualNet.

Chien-Chung