Subject: [manet] citation for divergence between results of simulation and field trial

From: Irfan Zakiuddin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:53:30 +0000

Hi,

I have heard it rumored that the results of simulating ad-hoc
routing protocols have not corresponded well to the results
achieved in field trials. But can anyone point me to a citable
document recording this (assuming it is true)? And is there
any current work in this area?

There was a paper at POMC 2002 which compared the results
of simulating ad-hoc routing protocols on the main network
simulators. It noted that different simulators produced divergent
results. The paper was:

On the Accuracy of MANET Simulators

by David Cavin, Yoav Sasson and Andre Schiper.

I guess I am looking for analogous work comparing simulation
results to field trials.

many thanks in advance

--

--

Irfan Zakiuddin, QinetiQ Trusted Information Management

tel : +44 1684 894963
fax : +44 1684 896113
email : [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Henrik Lundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:47:32 +0100 (MET)

At Uppsala University we are performing work related to this.
In [1] we describe the "communication gray zones", a discrepancy
between real-world and the ns-2 simulator. [2] also partly
looks into this, together with enabling trace-based simulations
based on APE testbed traces.

[1]
Henrik Lundgren, Erik Nordström, Christian Tschudin,
"Coping with Communication Gray Zones in IEEE 802.11b based Ad hoc Networks",
ACM 5th International Workshop on Wireless Mobile Multimedia (WoWMoM), Sept 2002.
http://www.it.uu.se/research/group/core/publications/lundwowmom2002.pdf

[2]
Björn Wiberg,
"Porting AODV-UU Implementation to ns-2 and Enabling Trace-based
Simulation", Master of Science Thesis, Decemeber 2002.
http://www.csd.uu.se/courses/course-material/xjobb/docs-reports/Bjorn_Wiberg-2002.pdf

cheers,
Henrik