Subject: [manet] Rate adaptive 802.11 in ad hoc networks

From: "Andreas Hafslund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:25:11 +0100

I am interested in finding an old paper:

"WaveLAN-II, a high performance wireless LAN for unlicensed band" by Kamerman and Monteban. 

It is no available on the Internet. If anybody has this paper, I would appriciate it if you can e-mail me the paper. I am also interested in other papers describing rate adaptive 802.11 used in ad hoc networks.

Regards,
andreas.

-- 
Andreas Hafslund
UniK - University Graduate Center
Norway

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Gavin Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:41:46 -0800 (PST)

Andreas,

The article you are looking for can be found here:

  http://lucent.netlabs.net/minds/techjournal/summer_97/pdf/paper08.pdf

Other papers on the subject are:

  Gavin Holland, Nitin Vaidya, and Paramvir Bahl, "A Rate-Adaptive MAC
  Protocol for Multi-Hop Wireless Networks," in Proceedings of 
  MOBICOM '01, Rome, 2001.  http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/446806.html

  B. Sadeghi, V. Kanodia, A. Sabharwal, E. Knightly, "Opportunistic
  Media Access for Multirate Ad Hoc Networks," in Proceedings of 
  MOBICOM '02, Atlanta, 2002.  http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/535415.html

Gavin Holland
HRL Laboratories, LLC
3011 Malibu Canyon Rd.
Malibu, CA 90265
310-317-5289

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Andreas Hafslund wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:25:11 +0100
> From: Andreas Hafslund <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [manet] Rate adaptive 802.11 in ad hoc networks
>

---

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:51:16 -0600

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 01:25:11PM +0100, Andreas Hafslund wrote:
> It is no available on the Internet. If anybody has this paper, I would
> appriciate it if you can e-mail me the paper. I am also interested in
> other papers describing rate adaptive 802.11 used in ad hoc networks.

"Link Adaptation Strategy for IEEE 802.11 WLAN via Received Signal
Strength Measurement" by Javier del Prado Pavon and Sunghyun Choi
describes a rate adaptation algorithm which is predicted to out-perform
the WaveLAN-II algorithm. If you put the title into Google, you will
find a PDF.

There is an algorithm loosely based on the Pavon & Choi algorithm in
the NetBSD sources, <http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/>. See
especially net80211/ieee80211_rssadapt.c and the Lucent/Prism driver,
dev/ic/wi.c.

A more sophisticated algorithm, which is deemed especially suitable for
802.11a, is described in "Goodput Analysis and Link Adaptation for IEEE
802.11a Wireless LANs" by Daji Qiao, Sunghyun Choi, and Kang G. Shin.
Dr. Choi has also produced a paper on power-level adaptation.

It is hard to choose the best rate and fragment size to cope with
interference from a microwave oven. I am only aware of this paper on
the problem,
<http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Papers/Adaptive.Frag.html>.

On a congested network with hidden nodes, it seems like a naive rate
adaptation algorithm could actually worsen congestion. I have not found
any paper on the topic. Does anyone know of one?

New 802.11 chipsets (Atheros, ADMtek, Realtek) do not have a built-in
rate-adaptation capability, but the adaptation is done by the device
driver.  An interesting senior project or master's project would be to
program two or three rate adaptation algorithms for NetBSD's Atheros
driver or for the ADMtek driver, and then to compare the performance
of each.  I offer my moral and technical support for such a student
undertaking.

Dave

-- 
David Young             OJC Technologies
[email-masked]      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933