Subject: [manet] CFP: Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:43:24 -0500

<Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message>

CALL FOR PAPERS

Special Issue on Group Communications in Ad hoc Networks
International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing (IJWMC)

http://academic.udayton.edu/DucTran/research/cfpIJWMC.htm

ISSN (PRINT): 1741-1084
ISSN (ONLINE): 1741-1092
Published by Inderscience Publishers

Important Dates
        Manuscript submission deadline: June 10th, 2004
        Notification due date: September 10th, 2004
        Camera-ready manuscript due date: November 1st, 2004
        Publication: Issue 3, 2005

Guest Editors
        Dr. Duc A. Tran ([email-masked])
        Department of Computer Science
        300 College Park
        Dayton, OH 45429

        Dr. Deb A. Agarwal ([email-masked])
        Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory 
        1 Cyclotron Road, MS 50B-2239 
        Berkeley, CA 94720 

        Dr. Mark D. Yarvis ([email-masked])
        Intel Research and Development
        Intel Corporation, JF3-206
        2111 N.E. 25th Ave.
        Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961 

Subject Coverage

Since people frequently work beyond their office desk, it is expected that 
the next generation 
of communication networks will include rapid deployments of independent 
mobile users.  With the 
emergence of wireless technologies such as IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth, 
mobile users are enabled 
to connect to each other directly and wirelessly without any networking 
infrastructure, such as 
the Internet or infrastructure-based wireless networks.  Instead, users 
form mobile ad hoc 
networks (MANET). These networks are self-configurable and self-healable, 
and therefore easily 
adopted in a home environment and more cheaply deployed and maintained in 
a business environment. 

While ad hoc networks are rapidly gaining in popularity, group 
communication technologies have 
already shown their importance in education, entertainment, business, 
military, and other 
industries.  However, thus far those technologies have mainly been 
designed for use in the 
Internet.  This special journal issue is focused on development of group 
communication 
solutions in ad hoc networks.  This work is significant to many 
interesting applications. 
Examples are strategic collaboration among soldiers in a battlefield, 
collaborative data 
processing such as tracking and localization in sensor networks, 
collaborative intrusion 
detection among a group of distant surveillance cameras, to name just a 
few. Also relevant to
 ad hoc networks is the concept of peer-to-peer (P2P). P2P networks are 
commonly used in the 
Internet to enable services that leverage a collection of peer nodes 
rather than a single 
infrastructure server, making them resilient to the failure of an 
individual node.  These 
properties are attractive for applications deployed in ad hoc wireless 
networks, which have 
similar requirements. 
 
Research on group communications in ad hoc networks is still in its 
infancy.  There are many open 
issues due to the deviation between resource, energy, and bandwidth 
availability of ad hoc networks 
and the quality of service required by group communication services. Areas 
of interest for this 
special journal issue include, but are not limited to, the following 
topics: 
 
- Ad hoc networking architectures with inherent P2P communication support
- Use of P2P technology for ad hoc network formation and management
- Multicast routing in mobile ad hoc and sensor networks 
- Algorithms for reliable delivery and congestion control in ad hoc 
networks
- Location and mobility management in ad hoc group communications 
- Algorithms for self-configuration, maintenance, and stabilization 
- Data management, operating system, and middleware for ad hoc group 
communications 
- Security and privacy in ad hoc group communications 
- Collaborative multimedia systems in ad hoc networks 
- Collaborative signal processing and information retrieval in ad hoc 
networks 
- Innovative applications of group communication in ad hoc networks

Paper Submission
Submissions should include a cover page with authors' names, affiliations, 
fax and telephone numbers 
and e-mail addresses. Please submit full papers in PDF via email to one of 
the guest editors. Submitted 
papers must not be previously published nor submitted for publication 
elsewhere. Accepted papers will 
not exceed 6000 words or 15 single spaced pages in IEEE Transactions 
style. Hard copies should only be 
sent if electronic submission is not possible. All manuscripts will be 
reviewed by a selected panel of 
referees. Original artwork and a signed copy of the copyright release form 
will be required for all 
accepted papers.