Subject: [manet] Clustering

From: "Zong Ming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:26:22 +0800

hello,everyone
     I am a student.I want to study clutering in mobile ad hoc networks,but 
i don't know how to start.Can anyone tell where i can find some papers 
about overview of the clustering?

   Thank you!
                                                            Zong Ming

_________________________________________________________________
免费下载 MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn  

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Yuanzhu Peter Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:03:59 -0800 (PST)

Hello Ming,

    There is a large body of work on clustering ad hoc networks.  To start
with, you can look at these:

    1.  Geng Chen, Ivan Stojmenovic.  Clustering and Routing in Mobile
Wireless Networks.  Technical Report, TR-99-05, SITE, University of
Ottawa, 1999.

    2.  Rajmohan Rajaraman, Topology Control and Routing in Ad Hoc
Networks: A Survey, SIGACT News, 33:60-73, June 2002.

    3.  Martha Steenstrup, Cluster-Based Networks, in "Ad Hoc Networking"
(ed. Charles E. Perkins), Addison-Wesley, 2001.

    4.  J. Sucec and I. Marsic, "Hierarchical routing overhead in
mobile ad hoc networks," IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, Vol. 3, No. 1,
Jan-Feb, 2004, pp. 46-56.

    5.  Yuanzhu P. Chen and Arthur L. Liestman, A Zonal Algorithm for
Clustering Ad Hoc Networks, International Journal of Foundations of
Computer Science, 14(2):305-322, April 2003.

Cizhi,
Peter

 ------------------------------------------------
"I have not powered down. I have just rebooted."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:19:15 -0500

Hello,

The TSF timer in 802.11 is a 64 bits counter, and it ticks every microsecond. 
This timer if set to 0 will wrap-around in approx. 590.000 years! later. 
Obviously the designers didn't want it to wrap-around. My question is, how
is this timer set initially ( to what value: 0?), when the beacons are sent the

stations will set this timer to the APs timer value or to the larger value in 
an IBSS, but what is the value initially set for this timer when the product 
comes out of factory? or when it's turn on? is the value reset when the station
is turn off and on?

Thanks

Carlos

---

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:31:58 -0600

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:19:15PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> The TSF timer in 802.11 is a 64 bits counter, and it ticks every
> microsecond.  This timer if set to 0 will wrap-around in approx. 590.000
> years! later.  Obviously the designers didn't want it to wrap-around. My
> question is, how is this timer set initially ( to what value: 0?),
> when the beacons are sent the
>
> stations will set this timer to the APs timer value or to the larger
> value in an IBSS, but what is the value initially set for this timer
> when the product comes out of factory? or when it's turn on? is the
> value reset when the station is turn off and on?

On the commonplace 802.11b chip by Realtek, the TSFT starts counting
from zero.  It is only necessary to turn the receive and/or transmit
circuits off and on to reset the TSFT to zero. It is not unusual for a
driver to turn those circuits off while it tunes a new channel.

I think that you can count on the fact that the TSFT will not persist
if you cycle power. I don't think any manufacturer could justify the
cost of a persistent TSFT.

Dave

-- 
David Young             OJC Technologies
[email-masked]      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933