Subject: [manet] Workshop Announcement -- Cross-Layer Issues in the Design of Tactical Mobile Ad Hoc Wireless Networks: Integration of Communication and Networking Functions to Support Optimal Information Management'

From: Jeff Wieselthier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:03:47 -0500

At http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/tgonimdg/#upcoming you will 
find an Announcement and Call for Abstracts for a workshop on 
'Cross-Layer Issues in the Design of Tactical Mobile Ad Hoc Wireless 
Networks: Integration of Communication and Networking Functions to 
Support Optimal Information Management'. The workshop is being 
organized under the auspices of Task Group 12 of the NATO Research 
and Technology Organization's Information Systems Technology Panel (
http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/tgonimdg/ ). It will take place on
2-3 June 2004 at the US Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, DC.

The workshop will address the challenge of 'top-to-bottom' information
management in disadvantaged (unreliable, low bandwidth or
energy-constrained) mobile wireless military communication networks. Crucial
issues relating to communication and networking in hostile environments span
the entire layered structure from the physical layer up through the session
layer. The conventional way to implement networks is to use a strictly
layered structure, in which these issues are addressed separately, while
defining interfaces to higher and lower layer functions. Although such an
approach may be appropriate for wired networks, the characteristics of
wireless networks suggest that improved performance may be obtained by
addressing these issues in a coordinated (or "cross-layer") fashion. This
workshop will address alternative approaches to various aspects of the
communication/networking problem, and will assess the potential benefits
that may be achieved through the vertical integration of layer
functionality, with emphasis on improved collaboration with user
applications to achieve optimal information management over a disadvantaged
network.

The topic will be of interest to military or scientific personnel concerned
with the efficient use of limited resources in disadvantaged communications
environments.

Our keynote presentation will be given by Dr. Michael B. Pursley, Holcombe
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Clemson University.

The workshop is open to citizens of NATO member countries who are working
for a government, military, industrial or academic organization or
institution within a NATO nation on a topic relevant to the theme of the
workshop. The workshop is UNCLASSIFIED. The working language will be
English. There is no registration fee.

Please notify the undersigned of your desire to attend and/or make a
presentation, using the form included in the attached Word document, NOT
LATER THAN 18 February 2004. Submission of the form by electronic means is
encouraged.

We would appreciate your cooperation in forwarding the Announcement to
colleagues that you feel may have an interest in the subject.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Wieselthier
Code 5521
Information Technology Division
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, DC 20375
Tel:  +1 (202) 767-3043
Fax:  +1 (202) 767-1191
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet