Subject: [manet] Consideration of a wired link in an ad-hoc network

From: "Farrag, Osama" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:48:14 -0400

In response to 

Farooq email Subject: [manet] Consideration of a wired link in an ad-hoc
network

and 

Redouane email Subject: [manet] fixed nodes in ad hoc network 

Using Hierarchical networks/routing approach allows you to have networks
consisting of fixed (assume base-Station type analogy) and mobile nodes, if
fixed nodes are connected also using wired network (or through other long
range wireless channel) then these fixed nodes will operate/participate in
two network domains. One domain will use ad-hoc routing protocol and the
other will use some other distance vector or link state protocol.) Fixed
nodes acts as gateway between these domains. 

 If fixed nodes are not connected directly, by wired or wireless links;
there are link layer techniques that support dynamic clustering and allow
nodes to select cluster leader (fixed mobility property could be used to
insure that fixed node is chosen as cluster leader by all nodes in its
range.) Cluster leader in these data link schemes manages access to shared
wireless media and acts as Radio port, all packets are relayed through it.
Note that while these data-link technique improve access to media and
collision avoidance, they don't necessary improve routing if mobile nodes
have no geographical association with specific fixed nodes.

Kind regards
Osama Farrag
Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Lab

-----------------------------
All statements in this email are my personnel opinions
They should not be considered as statements of JHU APL   

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any routing protocol for ad-hoc that
considers a link having wired network network in between.

For example I have two nodes connected to each other via Ethernet link. both
of them also have wireless cards. They may communicate with each other using
ad-hoc network as well as the wired link. If they are intermediate nodes of
two other nodes (of ad-hoc), priority of routing should be given through
wired link, not the ad-hoc link. Any routing protocol/scheme that does it?

Regards,
Shakeel Farooq
Undergrad Student,
National University of Computer & Emerging Sciences
Lahore, Pakistan

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet> 

-----Original Message-----
From: redouane [mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 11:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] fixed nodes in ad hoc network

Hello
I am looking for, articles, works... about routing in
ad hoc network with the presence of fixed nodes(
wireless not wired).
I am interested to routing protocols that use the
fixed nodes informations to improve network traffic.

Thank you.

Redouane

		
Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout ! 
Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/
<http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/> 

Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis grâce à Yahoo! Messenger !Téléchargez
Yahoo! Messenger sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com
<http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com> 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet>