Subject: [manet] fixed nodes in ad hoc network

From: redouane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 17:53:02 +0200 (CEST)

Hello
I am looking for, articles, works... about routing in
ad hoc network with the presence of fixed nodes(
wireless not wired).
I am interested to routing protocols that use the
fixed nodes informations to improve network traffic.

Thank you.

Redouane

		
Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout ! 
Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/

Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis grâce à Yahoo! Messenger !Téléchargez Yahoo! Messenger sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:14:41 -0700

>fixed nodes informations to improve network traffic.

I should think that in this environment, a fixed node is a mobile node that 
has higher bandwidth/higher availability links. It may be a very, perhaps 
the most, "mobile" node in a manet sense. consider a highway with manet 
nodes traveling in both directions. From the point of view of a vehicle 
headed south, the most "mobile" nodes (those that come and go most rapidly) 
are those headed north, the most "stable" nodes are the nodes headed south 
along with it, and the stationary nodes are simply changing neighbor 
relationships half as rapidly as the vehicles. In this example, the 
stationary nodes are pointless if they are located in a narrow valley, but 
can be tremendously useful if they are located on a hill or are orbiting in 
aircraft overhead.

---

From: "John Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:30:42 -0600

Hi.

I agree.  There is one study I'm aware of in which the stationary nodes
were given information about other stationary nodes and that did improve
performance, but I don't think these nodes would necessarily know
anything important about the mobile nodes that they don't already know.

The study was: "Implementation Experience with MANET Routing Protocols,"
by Kwan-Wu Chin, John Judge, Aidan Williams and Roger Kermode.  You can
get a copy at: 

http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/ccr/archive/ccr-toc/ccr-toc-2002.html

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Fred Baker
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 10:15 AM
To: redouane
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] fixed nodes in ad hoc network

>fixed nodes informations to improve network traffic.

I should think that in this environment, a fixed node is a mobile node
that 
has higher bandwidth/higher availability links. It may be a very,
perhaps 
the most, "mobile" node in a manet sense. consider a highway with manet 
nodes traveling in both directions. From the point of view of a vehicle 
headed south, the most "mobile" nodes (those that come and go most
rapidly) 
are those headed north, the most "stable" nodes are the nodes headed
south 
along with it, and the stationary nodes are simply changing neighbor 
relationships half as rapidly as the vehicles. In this example, the 
stationary nodes are pointless if they are located in a narrow valley,
but 
can be tremendously useful if they are located on a hill or are orbiting
in 
aircraft overhead.

---

From: "Anders Nilsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:05:51 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Here is an other paper that discuss routing in hybrid networks. The
approach is a slightly different one; the routing protocol is signalling
over the hybrid wired/wireless network, while the routing process itself
takes place in the wireless domain.

"Routing in hybrid ad hoc networks using service points",
Nilsson, A, Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J.J, Spohn, M, Vehicular Technology
Conference, 2003. VTC 2003-Fall. 2003 IEEE 58th
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?isNumber=28570&prod=CNF&arnumber=1285391&arSt=+2078&ared=+2082&arAuthor=+Nilsson%2C+A.%3B++Garcia-Luna-Aceves%2C+J.J.%3B++Spohn%2C+M.&arNumber=1285391&a_id0=1285388&a_id1=1285389&a_id2=1285390&a_id3=1285391&a_id4=1285392&a_id5=1285393&a_id6=1285394&a_id7=1285395&a_id8=1285396&a_id9=1285397&a_id10=1285398&a_id11=1285399&a_id12=1285400&a_id13=1285401&a_id14=1285402&count=15

regards,

Anders