Subject: [manet] Journal of Network and System Management Call for Papers

From: "Bush, Stephen F (Research)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:46:17 -0400

Dear Colleagues,

Below please find a call-for-papers for a JSNM Special Issue
on  Active and Programmable Networks. Draft manuscripts  are
due  Mar 30, 2005 with Notification of Acceptance by May 31,
2005.

Stephen F. Bush and Shivkumar Kalyanaraman, co-editors

------------------------------------------------------------

                    ** CALL FOR PAPERS **
                              
          JOURNAL OF NETWORK AND SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT
                              
   Special Issue on Management of Active and Programmable
                          Networks
                              
                Manuscript due March 30, 2005
                              
------------------------------------------------------------

Active  networks provide a framework enabling code and  data
to reside within network packets such that injected code can
modify  behavior  of low-level network layers.  Programmable
networks  allow customization o data-plane and control-plane
services  (e.g.:  using network processor methods  in  high-
speed   routers  or  software  radio  methods  in   wireless
networks).   This   raises  fundamental  management   issues
regarding the relation and tradeoffs among communication and
computation,  configuration, fault,  security,  performance,
and accounting management.

AD  HOC  WIRELESS  NETWORKS and SOFTWARE  RADIOS  are  being
facilitated by the advancement of active networks;  however,
they   add  another  level  of  complexity  to  active   and
programmable  network  management. The relationship  between
computation  and communication can be addressed by  concepts
from   algorithmic  information  theory  (e.g.:  Kolmogorov-
Chaitin  Complexity). Active and programmable networks  form
an  ideal  environment  in which to  study  the  effects  of
tradeoffs    in    algorithmic   and   static    information
representation. Active code can contain either the  protocol
or  a  compressed form of the data to be transported.  Other
divisions  of  code and state are possible  between  packets
(e.g.:  routers  with dynamic packet state and  customizable
data-plane code).

------------------------------------------------------------

This  special  issue of the Journal of Network  and  Systems
Management   will  consider  topics  associated   with   the
management  of active and programmable networks. Submissions
will span a broad range of topics, e.g.:

*  Bridging the gap among the large and growing body of work
in  algorithmic information theory and applications  to  the
health,   management,  and  security   of   an   active   or
programmable network

*  Fundamental   relationships  between   computation   and
communication  applied  to active or programmable  networks;
relationship of code vs. data tradeoffs utilized to  control
access   of  information,  system  vulnerability  detection,
policy  enforcement, etc. within an active  or  programmable
network

*  Self-organization  and  composition  of  active  network
services;   self-configuration  of  active  or  programmable
networks

*  Case   studies  involving  the  management  of   dynamic
adaptation and performance enabled by active networks

*  Active or programmable networks used to manage and control
mobile ad hoc network operation and legacy networks

*  Active  or  programmable  network  management  of   QoS:
controlled  amounts  of code vs. data  that  adapt  to  link
quality

*  Management of active packets in constrained devices  such
as sensors

*  Active  and  programmable network  management  techniques
applied  to link and physical layer network components  e.g.
software radio waveforms

*  Improvement or replacement of defacto management standard
access  and control such as SNMP with active or programmable
mechanisms

------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions to Contributors:

Authors are invited to submit papers for peer-review to  the
guest editors. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
Please  prepare  the  manuscripts in single-column,  double-
spaced format and submit Word, PDF, or Postscript files.

------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Editors:

Dr. Stephen F. Bush
Research Scientist
GE Global Research
Niskayuna, NY
[email-masked]
Email: http://www.research.ge.com/~bushsf

Dr. Shivkumar Kalyanaraman
Associate Professor, Dept of ECSE
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
Troy NY 12180-3590
Email: [email-masked]
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma

------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule:

 Optional letter of intent:   Jan 15, 2005
            Manuscript due:   Mar 30, 2005
Notification of Acceptance:   May 31, 2005
      Final Manuscript due:   Jul 30, 2005
          Publication Date:   Mar 2006

------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen F Bush (http://www.research.ge.com/~bushsf)

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet