Subject: RE: [manet] any techniques on velocity estimation/prediction in M ANET?

From: DANIEL BYRNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:13:32 -0500

I'm wondering how do you define node velocity?    Is it in hops/time, distance/time.  The speed at which a message propagates through an adhoc network is related to node processing speed, overhead, congestion, collision, interference, node volatility, node motion, and numerous other factors.  Any number you come up with wouldn't be useful for more than a few minutes in a highly volatile mesh.  The measuire would make more sense and would be more reliable would be in a mesh composed of static, immobile base stations.  I think that in a generic moderately volatile mesh network the only accurate method of node velocity would be a FIR filter applied to a tapped delay line of packet propagation times.  The weights can be adjusted as you see fit, or it could be just a simple average.

t1*w1 t2*w2 t3*w3 t4*w4 t5*w5 t6*w6 t7*w7 t8*w8 t9*w9 t10*w10

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Edward Hua
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 1:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] any techniques on velocity estimation/prediction in
MANET? 

Hello,

   I'm wondering if anybody could point me to some references that deal 
with methods on velocity estimation/prediction (either individual node 
velocity or relative velocity between two nodes) in mobile ad hoc networks. 
Actual methods that are implementable (not just in simulation) are preferred. 
Thanks in advance.

-Ed

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Edward Hua <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:57:34 -0400 (EDT)

I am looking at velocity that's distance/time. I know some proposals
use GPS to estimate the speed and direction at which each node moves. I'm 
wondering how others might have done the velocity estimation without the 
aid of GPS.

Is there a paper, Daniel, on the FIR technique that you suggested that is 
tailored for MANETs? Thanks.

-Ed