Subject: [manet] Announcing successful IPv6 MANET/fixed net/MANET demo

From: Peder Chr. Nørgaard<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:19:04 +0200 (CEST)

On June 16th, 2004, a very successful demonstration was held at
Ericsson Microwave Systems in Gothenburg, Sweden.  The demonstration
showed communication between nodes in two different IPv6-based MANETs,
a reactive and a proactive one, connected via a fixed IPv6 network.

The demonstration was an internal milestone in the B2NCW project (see
below); we announce it at the IETF MANET mailing list, because it
might be of interest to the readers of the list, and because, to the
best of our knowledge, this is the first time any organisation has
reached this far in combining Mobile Ad-Hoc Networking and IPv6.
(Please let us know if this is not the case.)

The demonstration consisted of a MANET running OLSR, a MANET running a
proprietary reactive routing protocol and a backbone configured with
static routes.  The fixed/ad hoc gateways were formed from pairs of
routers, one fixed and one ad hoc, with a static route configured
between them.  Global addresses in the MANETs were pre-configured.
The MANETs ran over 802.11b WLAN, and the fixed network ran over
Ethernet.  Applications demonstrated included web access and streaming
video.

The system in Gothenburg was put together almost effortlessly
following a trial integration between sites in three countries over
the 6Bone.

The work was carried out on the Building Blocks for Network Centric
Warfare project (B2NCW, <http://www.b2ncw.org>), with support from the
UK, Swedish and Danish Ministries of Defence and the participating
companies: Ericsson Microwave Systems (Sweden), BAE Systems Advanced
Technology Centre (UK) and Ericsson Telebit (Denmark).

--
Peder Chr. Nørgaard        	 Senior System Developer, M. Sc.
Ericsson Telebit A/S       	 tel: +45 30 91 84 31
Skanderborgvej 232         	 fax: +45 89 38 51 01
DK-8260 Viby J, Denmark

        e-mail: [email-masked]
(old e-mail 2000-2003: [email-masked])
         (old e-mail 1992-2000: [email-masked])

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet