Subject: [manet] Help needed!

From: "srgopal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:17:10 -0500

Dear all,

Did anyone work with packet voice transmission in mobile
Ad-Hoc networks? If you have done or know of some published
work please let me know.
Is 2% packet loss and 200 ms one-way delay tolerable in
Voice transmissions in analyzing the voice call carrying
capacity performance of an Ad-Hoc network?

Thanks for your time and patience.
Regards,
Rja.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Pedro M. Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:57:43 +0200

Dear Rja,

In my group we did some experiments with adaptive applications for 
videoconferencing over MANETs. In some of them we focus en maximizing 
the user-perceived QoS, and we measure the quality using the MOS from ITU.

You can get some of those papers from 
http://ants.dif.um.es/staff/pedrom/publications.html

In general, more than 450 ms of end-2-end delay is completely 
untolerable, and packet losses up to 10% (for voide, not audio tracks) 
can be easily tolerable. From 10 to 20% the quality severely degrades, 
and around 20% and beyond it is very bad and unacceptable quality.

Please do not hesitate con contactme in case you need further 
information or some of the papers listed in my page but without the PDF 
file available.

Regards,

--Pedro

---

From: Vivek raghunathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:37:25 -0500

Rja,

Yan Wu, a Masters student with Prof. P. R. Kumar's group at UIUC, had done
a study of the voice call carrying capacity of wireless networks. You can
contact Prof. P. R. Kumar ([email-masked]) for a copy of her Masters
thesis.

-Vivek

---

From: Andrew Thiessen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:51:54 -0600 (MDT)

Rja,

You might also look into the work that Professor Tobagi at Stanford has
done regarding multimedia (specifically voice) over wireless networks.
Most of his work has been published in IEEE journals, but I think a good
portion can be found on his website off the Stanford portal.

Andy

> Rja,
>
> Yan Wu, a Masters student with Prof. P. R. Kumar's group at UIUC, had
> done a study of the voice call carrying capacity of wireless networks.
> You can contact Prof. P. R. Kumar ([email-masked]) for a copy of her
> Masters thesis.
>
> -Vivek
>
>
>