Subject: [manet] AODV and Internet Gateways ...

From: "Scott C. Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:13:30 -0600

Hello,
 
I am working on an embedded Linux system and implementing the AODV protocol.
As I have made some progress, I started to realize that there is no
mechanism in AODV to do "discovery" of a "default gateway" or a route to the
Internet. (Not that it should!)
 
I am curious if there are suggested protocols or standards for discovery of
a gateway?
 
I know that I could look to use DHCP, however I am looking to use the
Automatic Private IP Addressing for local assignment on the individual
nodes, and then I want a node to be able to "query" for a gateway ...
 
Thoughts?

Scott C. Lemon

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 03:05:04 -0500

> Internet. (Not that it should!)

I thought that AODV could advertise routes with any network mask length,
thus advertising a 0/0 route was possible?  In any event, that may not
be sufficient.  Is your network multi-homed?

Based on (1) an illuminating discussion on this mailing list and (2)
my project's desperate need and desire to route from nodes on our
"rooftop" network to one or more IPv4 and IPv6 Internet gateways,
while coping with NAT or 6to4 at each gateway.  I motivated a gateway
advertisement/negotiation protocol, <http://tinyurl.com/6uxa4>, and wrote
a "zeroth" draft of a protocol, <http://tinyurl.com/5by5s>.  I haven't the
time to implement.  You may consider this enlistment for our open-source
"rooftop" routing project, <http://wireless.sourceforge.net/>. :-)

The protocol is stateful.  I estimate that an implementation would be
at least as complicated as Zeroconf, or a DHCP client---that is, quite
possibly, way too complicated.  Following one of the suggestions in the
mailing list discussion, I break strict layering by using one-way tunnels;
I know that offends purists, but I think that it is the right thing to do.

Dave

-- 
David Young             OJC Technologies
[email-masked]      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933