Subject: [manet] Another questions about MAC protocols

From: Yau P <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:19:57 +0100

Dear all,

I was wondering if you help me answer a simple question.  Assuming that
802.11 or some other similar MAC protocol is being used, and the ad hoc
network in question is using AODV - does the broadcast of a RREQ undergo the
same reliable delivery as with unicast packets (i.e.  I think it is three
attempts before 802.11 gives up)?  

Many thanks for your time in advance,
Po

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Herbert Rubens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:44:32 -0400

This is no ACK or retransmission of broadcast packets, only unicast
packets. So the RREQ will have no retransmissions by the lower layer but
the RREP will since it is unicast back to the source.

Hope this helps.

-Herb

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Yau P
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 10:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] Another questions about MAC protocols

Dear all,

I was wondering if you help me answer a simple question.  Assuming that
802.11 or some other similar MAC protocol is being used, and the ad hoc
network in question is using AODV - does the broadcast of a RREQ undergo
the
same reliable delivery as with unicast packets (i.e.  I think it is
three
attempts before 802.11 gives up)?