Subject: [manet] Announcement: Implementation of PACMAN: Passive Autoconfiguration for MANETs

From: Kilian Weniger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:59:56 +0200

Hi all,

we would like to announce the first public release of a "Passive
Autoconfiguration for MANETs (PACMAN)"-implementation for Linux.
PACMAN is is an efficient and robust distributed solution for 
assigning and maintaining unique IP addresses in a MANET
(see "K. Weniger: PACMAN: Passive Autoconfiguration for Mobile Ad hoc
Networks", to appear in IEEE JSAC, March 2005). 
To the best of our knowledge, this is the first publicly available
implementation of an address autoconfiguration protocol for MANETs. 
The implementation was demonstrated at the ACM Mobicom 2004.

PACMAN heavily uses cross-layer information from ongoing routing protocol
traffic: The maintenance of an address allocation table as well as the
Duplicate Address Detection (DAD) are performed in a passive manner 
and therefore generate no additional communication overhead. 
The Passive DAD (PDAD) component is able to detect address conflicts 
whenever they occur (e.g. after network mergers) based on anomalies in the
routing protocol traffic. Different routing protocols are supported by PACMAN.
However, a modification of the message format or the implementation of the
routing protocol is not necessary. Thus, existing routing protocol
implementation as, e.g., the UniK OLSR implementation, can be used. support
for OLSR and FSR is implemented. Due to a modular architecture, new protocols
can easily be added.

The source code as well as related publications, links, a GUI and some tools 
for tests and demonstrations are available for download at

  http://pacman-autoconf.sourceforge.net
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/pacman-autoconf/

Both the implementation as well as the concepts were developed within the
project IPonAir by members of the Institute of Telematics, University of
Karlsruhe, Germany.
(http://www.iponair.de), (http://www.tm.uka.de/itm-zitterbart.html)

Regards,

Kilian Weniger

-- 
Dr.-Ing. Kilian Weniger	
Institute of Telematics, Universitaet Karlsruhe (TH)
Zirkel 2, 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Phone: +49 721 608 6415, Fax: +49 721 388097
Email: [email-masked], HP: http://www.tm.uka.de/~weniger

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Christophe Jelger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:06:52 +0200

Hello all,

There is also some developments (OLSR with autoconfiguration, MLD 
Proxying and Multicast Forwarder) from the Network and Protocols 
Research Team of the LSIIT (Louis Pasteur University, Strasbourg, 
France). Everything is for IP version 6.

Everything can be found here :

http://clarinet.u-strasbg.fr/~frey/safari/autoconf.html

All comments and bug reports are welcome ! We of course tested all these 
things and they worked fine with our testbed, but there might still be 
some bugs.

Regards,
Christophe

---

From: Kilian Weniger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:57:10 +0200

Hello,

maybe I should mention that PACMAN aims at autoconfiguring stand-alone ad hoc
networks with MANET-local-prefixed addresses and that the PACMAN concept can
be applied to both IPv4 or IPv6. However, the linux implementation announced
in the last mail is designed for IPv4.

Christophe, your implementation seems to aim at providing global routable
addresses in MANET with Internet connectivity. Thus, stand-alone MANETs cannot
be configured with this implementation. Is this correct?

Regards,

Kilian

Am Dienstag, 12. Oktober 2004 14:06 schrieb Christophe Jelger:
> >routing protocol traffic. Different routing protocols are supported by
> > PACMAN. However, a modification of the message format or the
> > implementation of the routing protocol is not necessary. Thus, existing
> > routing protocol implementation as, e.g., the UniK OLSR implementation,
> > can be used. support for OLSR and FSR is implemented. Due to a modular
> > architecture, new protocols can easily be added.
> >
> >The source code as well as related publications, links, a GUI and some
> > tools for tests and demonstrations are available for download at
> >

---

From: Christophe Jelger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:15:26 +0200

Hi Kilian,

You are right. Our solution has indeed been proposed to connect an ad 
hoc network to the Internet. We do not support autoconfiguration of a 
"stand-alone" ad hoc network (unless if one ad hoc node is chosen as 
gateway). Actually our proposal and develoment were driven by a project 
in which the ad hoc network is connected to the Internet via a gateway. 
That's why we also propose a multicast gateway (MLD Proxy) and a simple 
multicast forwarder (based on flooding). Actually the forwarder could 
quite easily been upgraded to do real multicast routing, maybe in a few 
weeks I'll try to add such a feature.

I hope to be able to get a closer look at PACMAN some day. I'm quite 
busy at the moment but I will try to take some time next month to see 
how it works. ;-)

Regards,
Christophe