Subject: [manet] Lateration vs Min Max localization in WSN's

From: 龍神 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:29:13 +0900

I really don't know where to search or ask this question so if  the MANET 
mailing list is not appropriate please tell me and if possible direct me to 
the correct place.

I did some simple simulations of localization methods in Wireless Sensor 
Networks using Min Max and Trilateration methods for location estimation.

My results are no different from what others have reported: Min Max is more 
robust to range measurement errors between nodes than trilateration but 
trilateration is more accurate than min max as long as range measurements 
errors are low.

The interesting thing in my results is that adding anchor nodes to the network 
have adverse effects in both localization methods. If I add anchor nodes to 
the sensor network I can see that the accuracy of the location estimates 
increases in the trilateration case. But for Min Max, as I add anchor nodes 
the accuracy of the location estimate degrades. So why Min Max accuracy 
degrades as anchor nodes and ranging errors increase?

My simulation settings is a small area with 4 to 90 anchor nodes in the 
perimeter of the area and 50 nodes within the area (no nodes are outside the 
convex hull formed by the anchor nodes). There is no communication since I 
assume all nodes already know the location and distance measurement to all 
anchors and I add some gaussian noise to the real distances (1 to 60% the 
real distance variance) to simulate ranging errors.  All nodes are within 
communication range so all nodes have location and distance information from 
all anchor nodes in the area.

Any ideas are appreciated. Also pointers to information about the theory 
behind lateration and min max are welcome.

regards,
Ryujin

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet