Subject: [manet] Greetings MANET Readers

From: Colin Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:40:51 -0500

Hi all,

My name is Colin Bell, I'm a 3rd year student at the University of 
Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  I am studying 
Mathematics/Computer Science and have been working in the telecom sector 
since I was in grade 10 (Nortel and Siemens).

Anyway, I just thought I'd introduce myself.  I just happened on the 
working group in my research on a paper I am submitting to the 18th 
Annual IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 
(http://www.ieee.ca/ccece05/).

The paper I am authoring is entitled, "Service-Based Tiered Mesh 
Networks: Bridging the Gaps".  However, after reading RFC2501 I have 
learned that it should be called, "Service-Based Tiered Mobile, 
Multihop, Wireless Networking: Bridging the Gaps".  I have to agree with 
the RFC though, it is cumbersome that way.

I am writing this paper with my friends to play with the idea of having 
every node in a mobile "mesh" work with every other node to get things 
done.  We know that "Energy-constrained operation" is an issue but we 
are working under the assumption that, once the routing bugs are sorted 
out (care of MANET), we'll have seen advances in mobile device 
technology.  Manual chargers, solar panels in backpacks and jackets.... 
we are assuming (and yes, it is a big assumption) that one day each node 
on the network will be able to route packets so that dead zones in the, 
"IP routing fabric", will no longer exist.

Does this sound like a reasonable assumption?  Do you think I am out to 
lunch?  I would post the abstract for the paper I am working on but I 
need to check on the IEEE's copyright rules first.  ;-)  Stingy folks 
over there at the IEEE (j/k).

Anyway, hello and cheers.  I look forward to being part of this list, I 
hope there is still an active community kicking around here.  The 
prospect of one day living in a world with ubiquitous network access 
enthralls me.

Cheers, CB
--
Colin Bell <[email-masked]>
http://www.techknowlogic.net

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet