Subject: [manet] Call for Papers: Distributed Multimedia Streaming at CCNC 2006

From: "Duc A. Tran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:49:24 -0400

Please ignore if you already received this message
=====================================
CALL FOR PAPERS
2006 IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC 2006)
January 7-10, 2006 - Las Vegas, USA 
Special Session on Distributed Multimedia Streaming

Multimedia streaming is one of the most popular services on the
current Internet.
Its already-high demand is even on the rise as the Internet users have started
to be familiar with peer-to-peer (P2P) technologies which enable them to share
contents between one another directly. Streaming in the P2P manner, in contrast
to the traditional client/server approach, takes advantage of existing
end-system computational and networking resources, thus allowing economical
clients to leverage their collective power to benefit the entire service
community. However, multimedia content is resource demanding while user
computing devices are not as powerful as are content servers. Consequently,
designing a good decentralized streaming scheme in a large-scale peer-to-peer
environment is challenging. The problem becomes more of a challenge due to the
ad hoc behavior of peers; they can leave and join the system freely at any
time.

As people tend to work beyond their office desk, it is also expected that the
next generation of communication networks includes rapid deployments of
independent mobile users. With the emergence of wireless technologies such as
IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth, mobile users are enabled to connect to each other
directly without any networking infrastructure such as the Internet and
infrastructure-based wireless LANs. In other words, the users form a mobile ad
hoc network (MANET). As multimedia streaming becomes an integrated part of an
increasing number of applications and wireless networks are emerging to
dominate the communication environment of the future, it is interesting and
worthwhile to investigate multimedia streaming solutions for MANETs. There are
many open issues regarding this investigation due to the deviation between the
resource, energy, and bandwidth availability of ad hoc networks and the quality
of service desired by multimedia streaming users.

This special session seeks original contributions of high-quality papers that
address novel systems challenges towards the success of multimedia streaming
deployment in peer-to-peer, content distribution, and wireless ad hoc networks. 
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

* Signal processing/compression/information theories to support ad hoc
multimedia streaming
* Modeling, measurement, and performance study on ad hoc multimedia streaming
* Internet P2P multimedia streaming
* P2P multimedia content distribution networks
* Ad hoc overlay solutions for multimedia streaming
* Live streaming, video on demand, and video conferencing in wireless
ad hoc networks
* Network and transport protocols for streaming in wireless ad hoc networks
* Management, QoS, and security aspects in streaming over wireless ad
hoc networks
* Streaming applications in sensor networks
* Implementations of multimedia streaming in ad hoc networks

Important Dates
   
      Paper submission deadline: August 29, 2005 
      Notification of acceptance: September 30, 2005 
      Camera-ready version due: October 14, 2005 
  
Special Session Co-Chairs

Thinh Nguyen, Oregon State University ([email-masked])
Duc A. Tran, University of Dayton ([email-masked])
Pascal Frossard, EPFL ([email-masked])

Information for Authors

Prospective authors are invited to submit their draft papers in PS or PDF
format to one of the co-chairs via electronic mail. Submitted papers must be
original, unpublished work, and not currently under review for any other
conference or journal. The first page of the paper should include the authors'
names, affiliations, fax/telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses. The first
page should also include a less-than-200-word abstract. The camera-ready
version for an accepted paper will be no more than 6 pages in IEEE
double-column standard format.
 
Contributions will be reviewed by at least three referees from both the program
committee and external reviewers for originality, significance, clarity,
soundness, relevance, and technical contents on basis of papers.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet