Subject: [manet] Packets sent to destination and not next hop after new route is added

From: "Ray O'Connell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:30:54 -0400

We are using embedded Linux v2.6 and AODV routing protocol with a
network configured as:

Node1 - Node3 - Node 2

After a brand new route is inserted in the route table at Node1 to reach
Node2 using Node3 as the next hop the first packet which is injected
into Netfilter has the proper MAC address of Node3 as the next hop gets
to Node2.  The next few packets (usually 2) are sent with the MAC
address of node2 directly with the rest of the packets properly sent
with correct next hop MAC address of node3.  The packets which have the
incorrect MAC address of the final destination have been signaled with
the NF_ACCEPT.

If all of the packets are injected into Netfilter the problem so far
doesn't present itself.  It seems as if after a new route is placed in
the routing table with Node3 as the next hop results in a condition
which for some period of time packets signaled with the NF_ACCEPT get
routed to the destination directly instead of assigning the next hop MAC
address of node3.  

Basically there seems to be a short-term condition in which the new
route table entry is not used to address the packet to the next hop node
when signaling with the NF_ACCEPT.

Any ideas on what might be the problem or where to look for the answer
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray O'Connell
Nova Systems Solutions
A Division of Nova Engineering, Inc.
9928 Windisch Rd
West Chester, OH 45069
Voice: 513-483-6305
Fax:    513-554-3898
[email-masked] <BLOCKED::mailto:[email-masked]> 

"This email contains confidential and/or privileged material.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the person or entity to whom they are addressed.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer."

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet