Subject: [manet] Ad hoc networks capacity: again...

From: Pietro Michiardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:56:01 +0100

Dear List,

I'd be glad to have your adivce on the following.

While reading the paper "the capacity of wireless networks" (Gupta, 
Kumar) I understand the following:
- given:
    * an optimal placement of the nodes (there are n nodes)
    * an optimal (and fair) scheduling to access the medium
    * an optimal routing
=> the BEST we can obtain for the throughput capacity of a multihop 
network is:
lambda(n) goes as OMEGA( W / sqrt( n log n) )

where W bit/sec is the "initial" capacity available at each node with 
identical and fixed radio range.

This asymptotically tight bound basically says that, if my W = 54Mbps, 
and n = [10:100], then the throughput behavior I will obtain given all 
the hypotesis aforementioned is:

So, for example, if I have 20 nodes I should expect the throughput to 
be, AT BEST, of 7Mbps.

Am I right so far?

Now, suppose I build an application for this ad hoc network.
The scalability properties of the application, in terms of the behavior 
of the *application* throughput I will obtain at best, are limited by 
this graph. There is no guarantee though that the slope will go as 
OMEGA( 1 / sqrt( n log n) ). Right?

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for your reply.

Pietro

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet