Subject: [manet] Deadline fast approaching: special issue on "Inter-Vehicular Communications"

From: Daniel Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:25:43 +0800

Sorry if you receive multiple copies of this CFP

regards
Daniel Wong

-----------------------------------
Call for Papers

IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine

Special Issue on "Inter-Vehicular Communications" (pdf version of this CFP
is available at http://www.3g-wireless.net/IVC-CFP.pdf)

Wireless communications technologies (cellular phones, wireless LANs, etc.)
have enabled many of the conveniences in our lives, and also increased our
day by day productivity. Another area where there is much potential for
wireless technologies to make a tremendous impact is the area of
inter-vehicular communications (IVC). The field of IVC is also known as
vehicle-to-vehicle communications (V2V) and vehicular ad hoc networks
(VANET).

There are numerous emerging applications that are unique to the vehicular
setting. For example, safety applications would make driving safer; driver
information services could intelligently inform drivers about congestion,
businesses and services in the vicinity of the vehicle, and other news.
Mobile commerce could extend to the realm of vehicles. Existing forms of
entertainment may penetrate the vehicular domain, and new forms of
entertainment may emerge, all supported by the inter-vehicular
communications capabilities. These emerging services are currently not well
supported.

Numerous research challenges need to be addressed in order for
inter-vehicular communications to be widely deployed. The combination of
unique features of inter-vehicular applications and networking opens new
opportunities for many interesting research areas. The communications
networking between cars has different characteristics from other
communications networking problems. For example, because of the rapidly
changing topology as cars move around, there are similarities with ad hoc
networking scenarios. However, the constraints and optimizations are
different. Power efficiency is not as important for inter-vehicular
communications as it is for traditional ad hoc networking, since vehicles
have a powerful and rechargeable source of energy. Vehicles in general are
also constrained to move within roads (and within lanes most of the time).

The purpose of this special issue is to showcase the variety of research
being conducted in IVC and survey the state-of-the-art in this field. We
solicit original unpublished manuscripts not currently being considered
elsewhere for publication. Topics of interest include, but are not
limited to, the following:

• Service creation and management
• Vehicular communications applications in general
• Navigation safety applications
• Content distribution to vehicles
• Vehicle data collection and harvesting
• Role of IVC in Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS)
• Link and physical layer issues, algorithms and protocols
• Cross-layer protocol design
• Network architectures, system architectures
• Inter-working of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure
communications
• Network protocols and algorithms, including clustering, routing, etc.
• Vehicle movement simulation
• Security for IVC
• Network management for IVC
• Mobility management

Articles should be tutorial in nature and should be written in a style
comprehensible to readers outside the specialty of the article. All
submissions will be reviewed based on technical merit and relevance.
Articles should have no more than 4,500 words, no more than 6
tables/figures, and no more than 15 references. Further submission
guidelines are available online at
http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/pcm/sub_guidelines.html . Please send PDF
(preferred), Microsoft Word, or PostScript formatted papers to both Daniel
Wong ([email-masked]) and Kemal Tepe ([email-masked]) no later than
15 February 2006.

Deadlines
Manuscript due                February 15 2006
Acceptance notification     April 15 2006
Final manuscript due         June 15 2006
Publication date               October 2006

Guest Editors

K. Daniel Wong
([email-masked] )
Malaysia University of Science and Technology
Department of Information Technology
GL33, Ground Floor, Kelana Square, 17 Jalan SS 7/26
47301 PJ, Selangor, Malaysia

Kemal Tepe
([email-masked] )
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, Ontario, N9B 3P4, Canada

Wai Chen
([email-masked] )
Telcordia Technologies, Inc.
Applied Research
One Telcordia Drive, RRC-1T209
Piscataway, New Jersey, 08854-4157, USA

Mario Gerla
([email-masked] )
3732F BH
Computer Science Dept
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet