Subject: RE: [manet] DYMO-04 Comment Solicitation

From: "Ruffino Simone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:16:15 +0100

> 
> DYMO has been updated to use the new packet/message format
>
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-00.txt).
> I highly recommend you read the generalized packet/message format,
> since it may be used as a common building block in the other MANET WG
> documents.

Hi to all.

I would like to make few comments/clarifying-questions on the
-packetbb-00 draft. As a general comment, I think the work for a common
message format for MANET protocols, possibly optimized for forwarding,
is important and it is really worth the effort.

Having said that, :

1. What is exactly the motivation for the packet header? Reading the
draft it seems to me that the most important functionalities (i.e.
duplicate suppression and scope-delimited forwarding) are achieved using
the msg-seq-number field in the message header (msg-header field). Is it
intended as a replacement for DPD header option for use with SMF ?
 
2. regarding address representation in compact form: I think it provides
for a good flexibility and it is especially effective if used with many
v6 addresses. However, I was wondering if, in case addresses are only
network prefixes, more compact representations are possible: this would
be important for AUTOCONF, I think. Have you maybe tried with some other
way to represent prefixes ?

3. I was wondering what other use can CONTENT-SEQ-NUMBER have, besides
fragmentation. I'm asking this 'cause it could be easily treated as an
additional field in the FRAGMENTATION TLV, since they MUST be present
both when message is fragmented. 

4. Sec 5.2, three lines above sec 5.2.1: I think there is a typo. ", if
bit 4 in the msg-semantics" should be ", if bit 2".
--------------------------------------------------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to [email-masked].

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it

--------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet