Subject: [manet] Continue the question of the broadcasting!

From: "Daniel luu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:23:45 -0400

Hey,

   If broadcasting is the transmission character in wireless enviornment,
that means, one node has to broadcast one packet to mutiple neighbors.
Howerver, as we know, greedy or face routing is unicast routing protocol.
That means only one copy of the packet is in the flight during the routing.
I just wonder if these kinds of unicast routing protocols also use
broadcasting to transmit packets to their neighbors. if that, how come we
named them as unicast routing protocols?
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Phil Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:32:13 -0400

Daniel,
> named them as unicast routing protocols?

They're unicast routing protocols because each packet being routed has
only a single destination, as opposed to a multicast routing protocol,
where packets can be addressed to entire groups of hosts at a time.

When a wireless node with a simple omnidirectional antenna transmits a
packet, it can't control which other hosts receive that transmission.
Hence, the transmission is a broadcast. However, the hosts that are
neither intended recipients nor routers in the packets path will
simply ignore the packet, dropping it at the MAC level, because they
are not the next-hop node that the packet would be addressed to on
that layer.

Phil