Subject: [manet] Deadline extension: ACM Workshop on Underwater Networks (WUWNet 2006)

From: Wei Ye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:08:27 -0700

Submission deadline has been extended to July 7, 2006.

Our Apologies if you have received multiple copies of the CFP.

Volkan Rodoplu and Wei Ye
WUWNet 2006 Publicity Co-Chairs

-----------------------------------------------------

       The First ACM International Workshop on
          UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2006)
            http://wuwnet.engr.uconn.edu/

         In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2006
                 September 25, 2006
            Los Angeles, California, USA

             Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE

              Technical Co-Sponsorship:
        IEEE Oceanographic Engineering Society

           Financial Support Pending From:
          MIT SeaGrant, Boeing, DARPA, NSF

-----------------------------------------------------

Important Dates
***************
Submission deadline: July 7, 2006
Acceptance notification: July 28, 2006
Camera-ready version: August 11, 2006
Workshop date: September 25, 2006

Overview & Scope
****************
The oceans cover 71% of the earth's surface and represent
one of the least explored frontiers, yet the oceans are
integral to climate regulation, nutrient production, oil
retrieval and transportation. As such, there is significant
interest in monitoring aquatic environments for scientific,
environmental, commercial, safety, and military reasons.
While there is a need for highly precise, real-time, fine
grained spatio-temporal sampling of the ocean environment,
current methods such as remote telemetry and sequential
local sensing cannot satisfy current needs, let alone
future needs. The notion of an underwater network is
relatively new due to the lack of maturity of underwater
acoustic communication. However, networks are necessary
in order to achieve the monitoring goals noted above. The
physical challenges of acoustic underwater communication
require us to completely re-think how a network should be
designed and deployed in this environment. Challenges to
be overcome by underwater acoustic modem and network
designers include: severely limited range-dependent bandwidth
and attenuation, extensive time-varying multipath propagation,
and low speed of sound propagation in water resulting in long
propagation delays. Moreover, a unique feature of underwater
networks is that the environment is constantly mobile, naturally
causing the node passive mobility. All the above distinct
features of underwater networks yield new challenges for every
level of the network protocol suite.

The goal of the proposed workshop is to bring together
researchers and practioners in areas relevant to underwater
networks. Thus, many layers of the "stack" from the physical
layer to the application layer will be represented. The objective
is to serve as a forum for presenting state of the art research,
exchanging ideas and experiences, and facilitating interaction
and collaboration.

The workshop will span one day, including presentations of technical
papers, tutorial/survey papers, a panel session and a poster/demo
session. Submissions for regular technical papers and poster/demo
extended abstracts should describe original research, not published
or currently under review for other workshops, conferences, or journals.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

-   Network architecture design
-   Efficient acoustic communications
-   Cooperative underwater communications
-   Medium access control
-   Routing and forwarding
-   Reliable data transfer
-   Security and robustness
-   Power management
-   Data storage and management
-   Localization and synchronization
-   Data fusion, dissemination, tracking
-   Network modeling and simulations
-   Capacity analysis
-   New techniques for aquatic applications
-   New applications for underwater networks

Submission Guidelines
*********************
All paper submissions will be handled electronically. Papers must
be in PDF format, no longer than 8 pages for regular papers (10
pages for tutorial/survey papers and 4 pages for poster/demo papers),
and must follow ACM single-space, double-column format, 10 pt.
Submitted papers will be judged based on their quality and novelty
through a rigorous review process. Over-length papers will be
automatically rejected. Detailed instructions for paper submission
are posted on the workshop website.

Organizing Committee
********************
General Co-chairs:
Jun-Hong Cui (University of Connecticut)
Urbashi Mitra (University of Southern California)

Technical Program Co-chairs:
Kevin Fall (Intel Research, Berkeley)
Milica Stojanovic (MIT/WHOI)

Publicity Co-chairs:
Volkan Rodoplu (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Wei Ye (USC/ISI)

Treasurer:
Shengli Zhou (University of Connecticut)

Publications Chair:
Xiuzhen Cheng (George Washington University)

Technical Program Committee
***************************
Ian Akyildiz (Georgia Institute of Technology)
Lee Freitag (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)
Mario Gerla (University of California, Los Angeles)
João Pedro Gomes (Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal)
John Heidemann (USC/ISI)
Ronald A. Iltis (University of California, Santa Barbara)
Jim Kurose (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
Mehul Motani (National University of Singapore)
Joseph A. Rice (Naval Postgraduate School)
Daniela Rus (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Mani Srivastava (University of California, Los Angeles)
Yongguang Zhang (Microsoft Research Asia, China)
Michele Zorzi (Universita'di Ferrara, Italy)

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet