Subject: [manet] manet-arch-00 Terminology #1

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:56:41 -0700

We are attempting to capture the idea of a MANET and its border with
other subnetworks. To define this idea we have reused the term AS.  I
have provided the definition for AS & MANET from
draft-chakeres-manet-arch-00.txt.

Autonomous System (AS)
      An Autonomous System (AS) is a network topology that consists of a
      collection of routers and their subnetworks (with hosts attached)
      interconnected by a set of routes.  The subnetworks and the
      routers are expected to be under the control of a single
      operations and maintenance (O&M) organization.  Within an AS,
      routers use the same routing protocol.  An AS is expected to
      present to other ASs the appearance of a coherent interior routing
      plan, and a consistent picture of the reachable nodes.

 MANET
      A MANET is an AS made up of affiliated/associated MRs (and their
      connected nodes) that maintain a routing structure in arbitrarily
      dynamic network topologies, as illustrated in Figure 1.

I am afraid the term AS might be too associated with BGP.

We also considered calling the collection of MANET Routers (MRs) an
"area", but this has a strong association with OSPF.

We also considered calling the collection of MRa a region, but region
seemed loose.

Do you have a suggestion for a more succinct definition to aid in
defining the border of a MANET?

Ian Chakeres

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:18:28 -0700

actually, "AS" originated with EGP, and is used a lot by OSPF.

RFC 2328:
         Autonomous System
             A group of routers exchanging routing information via a
             common routing protocol.  Abbreviated as AS.

RFC 975 states:
       An "autonomous system" consists of a set of gateways, each of
       which can reach any other gateway in the same system using paths
       via gateways only in that system.  The gateways of a system
       cooperatively maintain a routing data base using an interior
       gateway protocol (IGP) and a intra-system trusted routing
       mechanism of no further concern here.  The IGP is expected to
       include security mechanisms to insure that only gateways of the
       same system can acquire each other as neighbors.

RFC 1118 says:
    autonomous system:
       A set of gateways under a single administrative control and using
       compatible and consistent routing procedures.  Generally  
speaking,
       the gateways run by a particular organization.  Since a  
gateway is
       connected to two (or more) networks it is not usually correct to
       say that a gateway is in a network.  For example, the gateways
       that connect regional networks to the NSF Backbone network are  
run
       by Merit and form an autonomous system.  Another example, the
       gateways that connect campuses to NYSERNET are run by NYSER and
       form an autonomous system.

I think your definition pretty much captured it.