Subject: [manet] [SIGCOMM'06] Tutorial on Wireless Mesh Networks

From: Marco Conti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:29:55 +0200

We apologize in advance if you receive multiple copies of this e-mail.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Tutorial on

Wireless Mesh Networks: From Theory to Deployed Systems
Dr. Victor Bahl, Microsoft Research

Pisa, Italy, September 11, 2006 - 14.00-18.00 (half day)
http://www.sigcomm.org/sigcomm2006/?tutorials

in conjunction with ACM SIGCOMM 2006
http://www.sigcomm.org/sigcomm2006

Course Description

A wireless mesh network is a peer-to-peer multi-hop wireless network 
in which participant nodes cooperate with one another to route 
packets. Unlike Mobile Ad hoc Networks (MANETs) where every routing 
node is mobile, routing nodes in mesh networks are stationary. 
Together these "mesh nodes" form the network's backbone. Other 
non-routing mobile nodes ("clients") connect to the mesh nodes and 
use the backbone to communicate with one another over large distances 
and with nodes on the Internet.

Mesh networks extend high-speed local area networking services to the 
wide area. Mesh networks are an attractive low-cost technology option 
for robust broadband communication for:

  (1) City-wide Broadband Internet Coverage.
  (2) Neighborhood Community Networks.
  (3) All-Wireless Offices
  (4) Rural Networks.

This is a fast-paced tutorial which will span a wide range of topics 
with a focus on the developing practical, deployable, and 
self-managing wireless mesh networks. We will cover important 
research results from the past and promising new directions being 
pursued by researchers in the industry and academia. Topics that will 
be covered include:

Application and usage scenarios
Practical system architecture for enterprise-wide office meshes, 
city-wide broadband meshes, and neighborhood community meshes
Industry players and commercial technologies
Techniques and algorithms for increasing capacity and scalability
Multi-radio, multi-channel, multi-spectral systems
Medium access control protocols
Network management - auto-configuration (zero configuration), fault 
diagnosis, and what-if analysis
Design, implementation and performance of routing protocols and link 
selection metrics
Support for QoS and fairness
Privacy and security - threat analysis and some solutions
Cross-layer design and optimization
Information theoretic tools for predicting network viability and performance
Testbed design, measurements, and deployment experience
Emerging standards
Advanced antenna technologies (MIMO, beam forming, etc.)
Spectrum policy and etiquettes.
Spectrum sensing, cognitive and frequency-agile radios

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet