Subject: [manet] Call for Participation: ACM WUWNet'06

From: Wei Ye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:31:54 -0700

Our Apologies if you have received multiple copies.

Volkan Rodoplu and Wei Ye
WUWNet 2006 Publicity Co-Chairs

-----------------------------------------------------

       The First ACM International Workshop on
          UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2006)
            http://wuwnet.engr.uconn.edu/

         In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2006
                 September 25, 2006
            Los Angeles, California, USA

             Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE

              Technical Co-Sponsorship:
        IEEE Oceanographic Engineering Society

             Financial Support From:
            Boeing, DARPA, MIT SeaGrant, NSF

-----------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

WUWNet 2006 is the first international workshop on 
underwater networks in the networking and communications 
community. The final program comprises 3 invited talks, 
10 full technical paper presentations, a poster/demo 
session including short papers, work-in-progress posters 
and demos (from both industries and academia), and a 
fascinating panel entitled "Underwater Networks: Methods, 
Systems, and Applications".

Early registration deadline is Sun, Sep. 3rd, 2006. To 
register for the workshop, please visit:

http://www.sigmobile.org/mobicom/2006/registration.html 

TENTATIVE PROGRAM

07:00-08:30 Registration/Breakfast

08:30-08:40 Welcome Address

08:40-09:40 Tutorials
(Session Chair: Milica Stojanovic, MIT/WHOI)

* Acoustic Propagation Considerations for Underwater Acoustic 
Communications Network Development
James Preisig (WHOI)

* Modulation and Demodulation Techniques for Underwater 
Acoustic Communications
John Proakis (UCSD)

* State-of-the-Art in Protocol Research for Underwater 
Sensor Networks 
Ian Akyildiz (Georgia Institute of Technology)

09:40-10:40 Session 1:  Systems 
(Session Chair: Jun-Hong Cui, UCONN)

* A Survey of Practical Issues in Underwater Networks

Jim Partan (UMASS, Amherst), Lee Freitag (WHOI), Jim Kurose 
(UMASS, Amherst)

* Wide Area Ocean Networks: Architecture and System Design 
Considerations

Sumit Roy, Payman Arabshahi, Dan Rouseff, Warren Fox 
(University of Washington)

* Localization in Underwater Sensor Networks -- Survey 
and Challenges

Vijay Chandrasekhar, Winston KG Seah (Institute for Infocomm 
Research, Singapore), Yoo Sang Choo, How Voon Ee (National 
University of Singapore) 

10:40-11:00 Coffee break

11:00-12:00 Session 2:  Analysis and Algorithms 
(Session Chair: Urbashi Mitra, USC)

* On the relationship between capacity and distance in an 
underwater acoustic communication channel

Milica Stojanovic (MIT/WHOI)

* Deployment Analysis in Underwater Acoustic Wireless Sensor 
Networks

Dario Pompili, Tommaso Melodia, Ian F. Akyildiz (Georgia 
Institute of Technology)

* An Optimization Framework for Joint Sensor Deployment, 
Link Scheduling and Routing in Underwater Sensor Networks

Leonardo Badia (IMT Lucca Institute for Advanced Studies, 
Italy), Michele Mastrogiovanni, Chiara Petrioli, Stamatis 
Stefanakos (University of Rome, Italy), Michele Zorzi 
(University of Padova, Italy)

12:00-14:20 Poster/Demo Session (including short papers, 
work-in-progress posters, and demos) and Lunch

Poster Presenations
* Sensor Networks of Freely Drifting Autonomous Underwater 
Explorers

Jules S. Jaffe (Scripps Institution of Oceanography/UCSD), 
Curt Schurgers (UCSD)

* Cooperative Multihop Communication for Underwater 
Acoustic Networks

Cecilia Carbonelli (Qualcomm), Urbashi Mitra (USC)

* Reconfigurable Acoustic Modem for Underwater Sensor Networks 

Ethem M. Sozer, Milica Stojanovic (MIT)

* Why Underwater Acoustic Nodes Should Sleep With One Eye Open: 
Idle-time Power Management In Underwater Sensor Networks

Albert F. Harris III (University of Padova, Italy), Milica 
Stojanovic (MIT, USA), Michele Zorzi (University of Padova, Italy)

* On Applying Network Coding to Underwater Sensor Networks

Zheng Guo, Peng Xie, Jun-Hong Cui, Bing Wang (University of Connecticut)

* A MAC Protocol for Ad-Hoc Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks 

Borja Peleato, Milica Stojanovic (MIT)

14:20-15:50 Panel Discussion: 
"Underwater Networks: Methods, Systems, and Applications"

Confirmed Panelists:
* Chris Clark (Cornell) 
* Scott Galagher (WHOI) 
* John Heidemann (USC)
* Richard Nielsen (Boeing)
* Jason Redi (BBN)
* Thomas Torgersen (UCONN)

15:50-16:10 Coffee break

16:10-17:30 Session 3:  System Design 
(Session Chair: Kevin Fall, Intel Research)

* Electromagnetic Communications within Swarms of Autonomous 
Underwater Vehicles

Michael R. Frater, Michael J. Ryan, Robin M. Dunbar (The University 
of New South Wales, Australia)

* Design of a Low-cost Acoustic Modem for Moored Oceanographic
Applications

Bridget Benson, Grace Chang, Derek Manov, Brian Graham, Ryan Kastner
(UCSB)

* Low-Power Acoustic Modem for Dense Underwater Sensor Networks

Jack Wills, Wei Ye, John Heidemann (USC/ISI) 

* Status Packet Deprecation and Store-Forward Routing in AUSNet

Matthew Haag, Emmanuel Agu (Worcester Polytechnic Institute), Rick 
Komerska, Steven G. Chappell (Autonomous Undersea Systems Institute), 
Radim Bartos (University of New Hampshire)

17:30-17:40 Wrap-up and end of workshop

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet