Subject: RE: [manet] P2P SIP over MANETs

From: "Aisling ODriscoll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:26:44 +0100

Hello Radhika & Kenneth,

Many many thanks for your replies. Sorry for the delay in responding - 
I really appreciate your comments and it very much helps me to figure
out what research challenges I can address in the area. QoS for
real-time P2P sessions interlinked with node mobility and path longevity
was something I was wondering about, so having it confirmed as an area
of rich research is great - I think it is very important when
researching P2P SIP over a highly dynamic environment such as MANETs to
look at QoS from a cross layer perspective. 
Also since sending the email to the manet mailing list I had come across
2 papers referring to the integration of a DHT protocol with a MANET
routing protocol (DPSR, ETKA) so when that was suggested at least it
confirmed that I am looking in the correct places. 

Again thanks for the useful information and advice and I look forward to
perhaps discussing this promising area with you both again in the
future.

Kindest Regards,
Aisling O' Driscoll.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 22 September 2006 16:48
To: Aisling ODriscoll
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [manet] P2P SIP over MANETs

Aisling:
 
As you might have seen that p2p-SIP is doing the standard for SIP that
can
work in p2p environment. Their main purpose is to remove the use of the
centralized SIP proxy servers from the middle of the network.
 
I have argued in the p2p-SIP mailing that this application is the
perfect
match for MANET as MANET itself is p2p, and once p2p-SIP is
standardized,
MANET can use it as its perfect application for real-time
communications.
 
Per p2p-SIP, DHT and other features may be addressed in the application
layer for resolving destination route addresses for services from the
application/end user's point of view. However, the IP network layer
routing
services assumed by p2p-SIP may or many not be in pure p2p schemes. If
those
are not in p2p schemes, it will negate the main purpose of the overall
benefits of the p2p networking.
 
However, MANET is there whose routing schemes are pure p2p, and p2p-SIP
is
the perfect application for it.
 
So far so good.
 
What else we need to do for p2p-SIP-over-MANET?
 
To me, there is a tremendous scope of works for the above. Please note
that
it is the communications between the application layer and the IP
networking
layer in p2p environments. Nothing has been done in this area. For
example,
QOS signaling (NSIS WG), Call Admission Control (it may span many IETF
WGs),
Security (Many IETF WGs), integration between p2p-SIP routing and
MANET-p2p
routing (e.g., frequent breakages/hand-offs of link/path IP/MAC
connections
and corresponding impacts on p2p-SIP for signaling to maintain QOS),
predictive and reactive maintenance of p2p-SIP QOS based on the mobility
predictions and link/path longevity, and many other things need to be
addressed.
 
Whether it is a good thing to open a PhD research in this are is
difficult
to advise at least for me. Time changes and needs also change, and no
one
can predict what are those needs are because it depends on the right
time
and the right place. A PhD must always be prepared to face those
challenges
throughout his/her own life. A degree provides a certificate to get an
entry
to the work places. The rest depends on the circumstances as time goes
by,
and people need to adjust accordingly dynamically.
 
What I think is that a PhD topic excites a person to face a challenge to
solving new problems. In this respect, this is one of the excited areas
at
leas I think because the above problems are yet to be understood or
solved.
 
Good Luck!!
 
Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

  _____  

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Aisling ODriscoll
Sent: Fri 9/22/2006 5:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] P2P SIP over MANETs

Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone could perhaps explain if there's
research issues to be addressed for using P2P sip over MANETs and if so
what
are they?....I've seen some discussion about this but am a little bit
confused about the conclusions drawn....does the underlying network
matter
to P2P SIP? I presume it would, given that within a MANET some form of
link
breakage prediction may be required which may affect the DHT tables or
something.....I've been reading alot of documents/presentations on P2P
SIP
and Distributed Hash Tables (DHT) such as Chord etc....a few briefly
mention
MANETs but not in any great detail...This could be a good thing because
it
presents an open research area or a bad thing because there's nothing to
research!!(I'm hoping for a beginning to PhD level research)....I have
posted to both the P2P SIP mailing list and this list in the hope of
finding
someone who knows about both areas - any opinions would be very much
appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Aisling.

_______________________________

Aisling O' Driscoll

Centre for Adaptive Wireless Systems

Department of Electronic Engineering

Cork Institute of Technology.

T: +353 (0)21 4326859

E: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

B253

-------------------Legal
Disclaimer---------------------------------------

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only
for the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by
legal and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in
error please contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any
unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly
prohibited. The Institute does not guarantee the security of any
information electronically transmitted and is not liable if the
information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete
record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay in
its receipt.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:27:51 -0400

Aisling:
 
Sure! Real-time application QOS for SIP in presence of MANET mobility, the route longevity is the key challenge because frequent link/path break-ups and setups. It is an open wide area for research.
 
The other areas like integration of DHT with MANET are also the genuine problem for integration of the application routing/address resolution with that of the IP layer MANET routing. This is the most immediate problem to solve in presence mobility in p2p environment.
 
It is so exciting!
 
Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

________________________________

From: Aisling ODriscoll [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Fri 9/29/2006 4:26 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [manet] P2P SIP over MANETs

Hello Radhika & Kenneth,

Kindest Regards,
Aisling O' Driscoll.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 22 September 2006 16:48
To: Aisling ODriscoll
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [manet] P2P SIP over MANETs

Aisling:

So far so good.

Good Luck!!

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

  _____ 

Hello,

Many thanks in advance,

Aisling.

Aisling O' Driscoll

T: +353 (0)21 4326859

B253

-------------------Legal