Subject: [manet] Ph.D proposal at Eurecom: Topology management and QoS provisioning in multihop wireless broadband networks

From: Fethi Filali <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:13:17 +0200

Hello,

There is an open position at Eurecom for a Ph.D in wireless networks:

Ph.D. Subject: Topology management and QoS provisioning in multihop 
                 wireless broadband networks

Research Laboratory: Eurecom Institute,  Mobile  Communications 
Department, 2229 route des Crêtes, BP-193, 06904 Sophia-Antipolis, 
France, www.eurecom.fr

Expected start date: October/November 2006

Supervisors: Christian Bonnet and Fethi Filali

Contact: [email-masked]

Description:

The objective of this work is to develop new mechanisms for topology 
management and QoS provisioning in multihop broadband wireless networks.

The wireless network considered during this work is WiMAX-like which 
allows wireless nodes (base stations and subscriber stations) to be 
nomadic and/or mobile. A node can be a base  station  (cluster  head) or 
a user station depending  on  the  dynamic of the network as well as the 
resources (bandwidth, etc.) available in each node.

The topology management framework will contain several new algorithms 
for dynamically selecting a cluster head for each cluster, ensuring  QoS 
reservation, and establishing optimal routes between nodes. This 
framework will communicate with upper and lower layers to enhance the 
performance and the efficiency of the proposed mechanisms. In 
particular, it may exchange useful measurements in cross-layer manner 
with the MAC and the application layers.

The QoS provisioning architecture has to implement sophisticated 
algorithms for queue management, scheduling, and  call  admission 
control. This architecture has vertical interaction with MAC and routing 
  layers and may interact with the topology management framework.

The performance evaluation of the proposed mechanisms will be through 
simulations and real-experimentations. The use of mathematical tools to 
study the performance limitations of the system is also encouraged.

This work will be done within the context of the IST FP6 Chorist project 
which aims to develop a global system for user safety alerting and 
management.

Best Regards,

Fethi Filali.

-- 
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Fethi FILALI                      http://www.eurecom.fr/~filali |
| Assistant Professor               [email-masked]       |
| Mobile Communications Department  Phone : +33 4 93 00 81 34     |
| Institut Eurécom - www.eurecom.fr Fax   : +33 4 93 00 82 00     |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet