Subject: [manet] Special Issue on Cross-Layer Optimized Wireless Sensor Networks

From: "DOHLER Mischa RD-TECH-GRE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:15:15 +0200

Dear colleagues,

You are kindly invited to submit papers according to below CFP for a
special JWCN journal issue on sensor networks.

Kind regards,
Mischa.

________________________________

Dr Mischa Dohler
France Telecom R&D
Senior Research Expert

Tel: +33 4 76 76 45 14
Fax: +33 4 76 76 44 50
Mob: +33 6 74 70 86 75
Eml: [email-masked]
Www: google "Mischa Dohler"

________________________________

EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking

Special Issue on
Novel Techniques for Analysis & Design of Cross-Layer Optimized Wireless
Sensor Networks

Sensor networks have been researched and deployed for decades; their
wireless extension, however, has witnessed a tremendous upsurge in
recent years. This is mainly attributed to the unprecedented operating
conditions of wireless sensor networks (WSNs), i.e.
- a potentially enormous amount of sensor nodes,
- reliably operating under stringent energy constraints.

The virtually infinite degrees of freedom of wireless sensor networks
have ignited intense research activities, which in turn led to thousands
of publications, white papers and patents in less than a decade, with
new contributions emerging on a daily basis. The rich mathematical and
technical toolboxes already available from the design of wireless
cellular and ad hoc systems clearly aided the birth of new ideas
tailored to the problems in WSNs.

To date, the main problem in deploying WSNs is their dependence on
limited battery power. A main design criterion is to extend the lifetime
of the network without jeopardizing reliable and efficient
communications from sensor nodes to other nodes or to data sinks. A
prominent example of today's non-optimized WSN deployment experiences is
that the start-up alone costs the network half its battery power.

Optimizing every facet of the communication protocols is therefore vital
and imperative. Such stringent design requirements can be met by a
plethora of approaches, e.g. optimizing each layer of the protocol stack
separately (traditional) or jointly (cross-layer), for each node
separately (traditional) or for an ensemble of nodes (distributed and
cooperative), etc. This has led to copious novel distributed signal
processing algorithms, energy-efficient medium access control and
fault-tolerant routing protocols, self-organizing and self-healing
sensor network mechanisms, etc.

In the light of the above, the main purpose of this special issue is
twofold:
- to obtain a coherent and concise technical synthesis from the
abundance of recently emerged material in the area of WSNs, and
- to promote novel approaches in analyzing, designing and optimizing
large-scale WSNs, preferably inspired by approaches from other
disciplines, such as physics or biology.

Very few papers are currently available which synthesize the large
amount of fairly dispersed technical contributions; a coherent exposure,
also touching upon open research issues, will certainly be appreciated
by the academic and industrial research community. We believe that novel
approaches, potentially inspired by entirely disjoint disciplines, may
help considerably in dealing with networks of thousands of nodes.

Topics of interest in the area of energy-constraint WSNs include, but
are not limited to:
- network capacity w/out imperfections
- joint source and channel coding
- cooperative and distributed signal processing
- data fusion and data aggregation
- novel PHY, MAC and network paradigms
- cross-layer and cross-functionality design
- security, robustness, reliability
- self-healing, self-stabilization, self-organization
- applications, architectures and topologies
- (macroscopic) information flows
- physically and biologically inspired approaches

Submission details can be found under (copy entire link):
http://www.hindawi.com/GetPage.aspx?journal=WCN&page=CLOWS
<http://www.hindawi.com/GetPage.aspx?journal=WCN&page=CLOWS> .

Submission deadline:            1 October 2006  (negotiable by 2 weeks) 
Notification:                   1 February 2007
Publication:                    3rd Q 2007

Guest Editors
Dr Mischa Dohler
France Telecom R&D
France
[email-masked]

Prof Taieb Znati
University of Pittsburgh
USA
[email-masked]

Dr Stavros Toumpis
University of Cyprus
Cyprus
[email-masked]

Prof Lionel M. Ni
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Hong Kong, China
[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet