Subject: [manet] P2P SIP over MANETs

From: "Aisling ODriscoll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:19:03 +0100

Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone could perhaps explain if there's
research issues to be addressed for using P2P sip over MANETs and if so
what are they?....I've seen some discussion about this but am a little
bit confused about the conclusions drawn....does the underlying network
matter to P2P SIP? I presume it would, given that within a MANET some
form of link breakage prediction may be required which may affect the
DHT tables or something.....I've been reading alot of
documents/presentations on P2P SIP and Distributed Hash Tables (DHT)
such as Chord etc....a few briefly mention MANETs but not in any great
detail...This could be a good thing because it presents an open research
area or a bad thing because there's nothing to research!!(I'm hoping for
a beginning to PhD level research)....I have posted to both the P2P SIP
mailing list and this list in the hope of finding someone who knows
about both areas - any opinions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Aisling.

_______________________________

Aisling O' Driscoll

Centre for Adaptive Wireless Systems

Department of Electronic Engineering

Cork Institute of Technology.

T: +353 (0)21 4326859

E: [email-masked]

B253

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:47:49 -0400

Aisling:
 
As you might have seen that p2p-SIP is doing the standard for SIP that can
work in p2p environment. Their main purpose is to remove the use of the
centralized SIP proxy servers from the middle of the network.
 
I have argued in the p2p-SIP mailing that this application is the perfect
match for MANET as MANET itself is p2p, and once p2p-SIP is standardized,
MANET can use it as its perfect application for real-time communications.
 
Per p2p-SIP, DHT and other features may be addressed in the application
layer for resolving destination route addresses for services from the
application/end user's point of view. However, the IP network layer routing
services assumed by p2p-SIP may or many not be in pure p2p schemes. If those
are not in p2p schemes, it will negate the main purpose of the overall
benefits of the p2p networking.
 
However, MANET is there whose routing schemes are pure p2p, and p2p-SIP is
the perfect application for it.
 
So far so good.
 
What else we need to do for p2p-SIP-over-MANET?
 
To me, there is a tremendous scope of works for the above. Please note that
it is the communications between the application layer and the IP networking
layer in p2p environments. Nothing has been done in this area. For example,
QOS signaling (NSIS WG), Call Admission Control (it may span many IETF WGs),
Security (Many IETF WGs), integration between p2p-SIP routing and MANET-p2p
routing (e.g., frequent breakages/hand-offs of link/path IP/MAC connections
and corresponding impacts on p2p-SIP for signaling to maintain QOS),
predictive and reactive maintenance of p2p-SIP QOS based on the mobility
predictions and link/path longevity, and many other things need to be
addressed.
 
Whether it is a good thing to open a PhD research in this are is difficult
to advise at least for me. Time changes and needs also change, and no one
can predict what are those needs are because it depends on the right time
and the right place. A PhD must always be prepared to face those challenges
throughout his/her own life. A degree provides a certificate to get an entry
to the work places. The rest depends on the circumstances as time goes by,
and people need to adjust accordingly dynamically.
 
What I think is that a PhD topic excites a person to face a challenge to
solving new problems. In this respect, this is one of the excited areas at
leas I think because the above problems are yet to be understood or solved.
 
Good Luck!!
 
Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

  _____  

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Aisling ODriscoll
Sent: Fri 9/22/2006 5:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] P2P SIP over MANETs

Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone could perhaps explain if there's
research issues to be addressed for using P2P sip over MANETs and if so what
are they?....I've seen some discussion about this but am a little bit
confused about the conclusions drawn....does the underlying network matter
to P2P SIP? I presume it would, given that within a MANET some form of link
breakage prediction may be required which may affect the DHT tables or
something.....I've been reading alot of documents/presentations on P2P SIP
and Distributed Hash Tables (DHT) such as Chord etc....a few briefly mention
MANETs but not in any great detail...This could be a good thing because it
presents an open research area or a bad thing because there's nothing to
research!!(I'm hoping for a beginning to PhD level research)....I have
posted to both the P2P SIP mailing list and this list in the hope of finding
someone who knows about both areas - any opinions would be very much
appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Aisling.

Aisling O' Driscoll

T: +353 (0)21 4326859

E: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

B253