Subject: [manet] how do you know the presence of destination node

From: "Okbin Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:02:37 +0900

Hello Dears.

In a dynamic mobile ad hoc network,
routing protocol is largely stutied.
Well, 
The matter I wonder is how  you know that a node you wish to connect 
is  in the network.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Best regards, 
Lobin
 
========================
 
Have a nice day and good luck
from Okbin Lee
email : [email-masked]
 
========================

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Christophe Jelger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:32:55 +0100

Hi Lobin,

Actually in a spontaneous network where users do not know eachother in 
advance one can use some sort of advertising system to inform others 
about the "communication services" it provides. For example, we have 
tested the AVAHI linux tool in a MANET environment so that users learn 
that another user is for example offering some music streaming service.

Regarding "raw" node reachability, we have implemented a basic 
"yellow-pages" system in the LUNAR protocol where the names of nodes 
reachable in the network appear locally on each node (in a list). In 
LUNAR this feature is integrated with the routing activity.

If you want to learn more details, how we generate names and addresses 
is detailed here

   http://cn.cs.unibas.ch/pub/doc/2006-CoNEXT.pdf
   (Dynamic Names and Private Address Maps: Complete
    Self-Configuration for MANETs)

and how we advertise names in the basic "yellow-pages" system is 
explained with more details here

   http://cn.cs.unibas.ch/pub/doc/2006-Wons.pdf
   (Model Based Protocol Fusion for MANET-Internet Integration)

best regards,
Christophe
--------------------------------------------------
Christophe Jelger, University of Basel
Computer Networks Group, http://cn.cs.unibas.ch/
Bernoullistrasse 16, CH-4056 Basel, Switzerland

---

From: "Mullen, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:20:35 -0700

Hi Lobin,
 
In a proactive routing protocol, if the desired destination node is in
the network, it will be in the routing tables (in theory, anyhow). In a
reactive routing protocol, if a node wishes to send a message to a node
and does not already know a current route, it will send out a request
for routing information. If such a route is discovered, then that node
will know the other node is in the network.
 
You touch on an interesting feature of MANETs. In order for a node to
specify a destination in the absence of known routing information, it
must have some way of knowing how to address that node. In
pre-configured nets and proactive MANETs, that would be the node's
address, managed by the network. In the case of a reactive MANET
protocol, however, there must be some network-independent way of
addressing. 

John P. Mullen, Ph.D.
(505) 646-2958
[email-masked]

________________________________

From: Okbin Lee [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:03 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] how do you know the presence of destination node

Hello Dears.

Best regards, 
Lobin

========================

========================

---

From: "Sasan Sahraei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:30:14 -0000 (GMT)

Hi,

This brings the discussion of service advertisement and service discovery.

There usually is a clear intention for a source node to communicate with a
destination. Such as service or resource consumption. Therefore
destination should identify itself when joining the network or source will
perform a query for what it wants, either way, at some point of time
source is aware of destination. But the interesting part is when
destination leaves the network and therefore how source decides to handle
the rest of communication. Pro/Re active routing comes into picture when
source is chasing the known destination.

Sasan

> =======================
> =======================_______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]