Subject: [manet] 802.11 option-enabled packet

From: "Ehsan Hamadani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:12:33 -0000

Dear all,

Has there been any effort to introduce and standardize the option-enabled
packets in 802.11 standard? 

This is of particular interest to me since the current 802.11 standard only
defines a fixed-header frame format. However, due to increasingly demand on
QoS requirements and cross layer improvements, it seems to me there is clear
need to enable 802.11 packets carrying extra information if required. 

One possible solution of course would be to use a 2 bit reserved Data-type
(10) to introduce a new data packet with options. However, if I am right,
one big problem is if the next hop node does not support the new type of
data frame, it will just simply drop the received frame! That makes me
keener on adding the option field inside the current 802.11 frame header to
eliminate such problem.

Any comment on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ehsan

-------------------------------------------------

Ehsan Hamadani, PhD Student

Mobile Network Research Group

City University, 

London, EC1V 0HB

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7040 3886

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Yang Cheng Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:24:49 +0000

Hi Ehsan

Could you please explain a little bit more on the benefits of inserting 
these two bits? For differentiated service?

Y

> Dear all,
>
>  
>
> Has there been any effort to introduce and standardize the 
> option-enabled packets in 802.11 standard?
>
> This is of particular interest to me since the current 802.11 standard 
> only defines a fixed-header frame format. However, due to increasingly 
> demand on QoS requirements and cross layer improvements, it seems to 
> me there is clear need to enable 802.11 packets carrying extra 
> information if required.
>
>  
>
> One possible solution of course would be to use a 2 bit reserved 
> Data-type (10) to introduce a new data packet with options. However, 
> if I am right, one big problem is if the next hop node does not 
> support the new type of data frame, it will just simply drop the 
> received frame! That makes me keener on adding the option field inside 
> the current 802.11 frame header to eliminate such problem.
>
>  
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Ehsan Hamadani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:48:55 -0000

Hi Yang,

Well, I just proposed using 10 as a new type of data frame (option-enabled
packet) along with [1000-1111] reserved part of data subtype value to define
new type of 802.11 data packets that can carry option in their header. 

In other words, the main reason behind that proposition is as far as I know
the existing data types do not allow any extra information to be carried in
their header, which means they cannot have any option field.

Hope this explanation makes it clearer.

Ehsan 

-----Original Message-----
From: Yang Cheng Huang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 11 January 2007 17:25
To: Ehsan Hamadani
Cc: manet
Subject: Re: [manet] 802.11 option-enabled packet

Hi Ehsan

Y

---

From: David Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:45:29 -0600

> packets in 802.11 standard? 

A custom 802.2 LLC header may suit your purposes.  See the IEEE 802.2
standard, <http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.2-1998.pdf>.

Dave

-- 
David Young             OJC Technologies
[email-masked]      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933