Subject: [manet] Call for sergeant-at-arms

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:29:22 +0530

As I emailed earlier, we are attempting to stop MANET mailing list
discussion that is not related to IETF policy, meetings, activities,
or technical concerns.

<snip> - please see note at the bottom

Traditionally, the MANET WG chair has been the moderator (with a
rather light hand) of the IETF MANET list. In this discussion, the
chair is an active participant in the work and the discussion; it
seems inappropriate to ask the chair to also decide whether or not
posts are off-topic and/or abusive.

Luckily, the IETF list charter (RFC 3005) has a solution:

  The IETF Chair, the IETF Executive Director, or a sergeant-at-arms
  appointed by the Chair is empowered to restrict posting by a person,
  or of a thread, when the content is inappropriate and represents a
  pattern of abuse.

So - I'm hereby asking for volunteers for the job - which is a
thankless one, but will not go unthanked!

You should:

- Be a regular reader of the MANET list (at least a few times a week)
- Be willing to monitor and moderate the list according to the rules
in the MANET list charter (RFC 3005), rather than your personal
opinion
- Be willing to commit to doing the job for at least 3 months
- Have a thick skin :-)

Anyone who is willing to do this job - send us a note (privately), and
we will pick one (or more, if I have a convincing argument that this
is appropriate).

Thanks in advance!

<snip>

Ian Chakeres

P.S. I suspect the next month will require the most attention. After
that I believe inappropriate email will taper off.

NOTE: *the snippet above is copied almost unmodified from a post by
Harald Alvestrand. He said it so well, I saw no reason to recompose
the content - http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg30921.html

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet