Subject: [manet] Re : Energy Efficiency in Routing Protocols

From: "Narendran Sivakumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:50:41 +0530

Dear All ,

I've implemented DYMO and comparing the performance of DYMO with other
protocols. Is there a way to analyze how energy efficient these protocols
especially DYMO as i consider energy efficiency a big factor.

Any suggestions and ideas relating to this subject are most welcome.

Thank You

Naren
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Narendran Sivakumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:05:41 +0530

Hi Ian,

Well , In a wireless environment the energy levels used while transmission
is also important as higher the transmission power, higher is the range for
the nodes to transmit.

Is it possible to add an Intelligence Mechanism to DYMO which would use
energy levels automatically based on the topology.
For Example : If a node X is transmitting to Y with I and J are the
intermediate nodes and the path is X-I-J-Y.If Y moves out of range of J, X
would again initiate Route Discovery to Y. If an intelligence mechanism is
used to increase the transmission power of J so that Y is within range even
if Y changes the location thereby saving time for another Route Discovery
process and less delay. On the flip side if Y is well within range of J,
then that same mechanism should be able to adjust the transmission power in
accordance with the closer Y, thereby saving energy.

I believe that in a wireless environment , energy efficiency holds the key
in determining the effectiveness of an Routing Protocol, further more to
DYMO

Thanks

Naren

On 4/23/07, Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I think it will be difficult to analyze energy efficiency. I also
> think there are also lots of little tweaks that you could do to
> improve efficiency, depending on your measure of course.
>
> Ian
>
>
> On 4/23/07, Narendran Sivakumar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >  Dear All ,
> >