Subject: Fw: [manet] Re : Energy Efficiency in Routing Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:37:39 +0200

I all, I most interested in this thought, I'm been doing som work on adding
Preemptive Route Maintenance on AODV by using simulated GPS coordinates,
The idea behind this is to change the route by a Route discovery before the
break occures like you, Naeendran, proposed. I'm beeen using GPS
coordinates to get the distance as a threashold when to activate the
mechanism. How where you going to measure the distance you talk about
Narendran, by signal power or gps strength?

regards Calle
                                                                           
             "Narendran                                                    
             Sivakumar"                                                    
             <snarendran86@gma                                          To 
             il.com>                   "Ian Chakeres"                      
                                       <[email-masked]>,           
             2007-04-23 16:37          [email-masked]                      
                                                                        cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Re: [manet] Re : Energy Efficiency  
                                       in Routing Protocols                

                                                                           

Hi Ian,

Well , In a wireless environment the energy levels used while transmission
is also important as higher the transmission power, higher is the range for
the nodes to transmit.

Is it possible to add an Intelligence Mechanism to DYMO which would use
energy levels automatically based on the topology.
For Example : If a node X is transmitting to Y with I and J are the
intermediate nodes and the path is X-I-J-Y.If Y moves out of range of J, X
would again initiate Route Discovery to Y. If an intelligence mechanism is
used to increase the transmission power of J so that Y is within range even
if Y changes the location thereby saving time for another Route Discovery
process and less delay. On the flip side if Y is well within range of J,
then that same mechanism should be able to adjust the transmission power in
accordance with the closer Y, thereby saving energy.

I believe that in a wireless environment , energy efficiency holds the key
in determining the effectiveness of an Routing Protocol, further more to
DYMO

Thanks

Naren

On 4/23/07, Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]> wrote:
      I think it will be difficult to analyze energy efficiency. I also
      think there are also lots of little tweaks that you could do to
      improve efficiency, depending on your measure of course.

      Ian

      On 4/23/07, Narendran Sivakumar <[email-masked]> wrote:
      >  Dear All ,
      >
      > I've implemented DYMO and comparing the performance of DYMO with
      other
      > protocols. Is there a way to analyze how energy efficient these
      protocols
      > especially DYMO as i consider energy efficiency a big factor.
      >
      > Any suggestions and ideas relating to this subject are most
      welcome.
      >
      > Thank You
      >
      > Naren
      > _______________________________________________
      > manet mailing list
      > [email-masked]
      > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
      >
      >
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Mehran Abolhasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:46:02 +1000 (EST)

Changing the Tx power to manipulate the topology is an area which has also received some attention, have a look at "topology control in ad hoc networks". Basically several strategies have been proposed which dynamically adjust the Tx power to ensure a more power efficient network. However, this is not to say that there is not much work left to be done here, particularly when routing is concerned. 

Regards,

Mehran Abolhasan 

---- Original message ----
>Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:10:58 +0200
>From: [email-masked]  
>Subject: Re: Fw: [manet] Re : Energy Efficiency in Routing Protocols  
>To: Mehran Abolhasan <[email-masked]>
>Cc: [email-masked]
>
>Yeah thats true. It is exacly the same idea like FORP, but I wounder what
>Narendran was going to use to measure his distance in the mechanism
>proposed, you could to the exacly same thing as FORP but use the signal
>strength instead of gps...
>
>Regards,
>
>Calle
>
>
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>Take a look at FORP routing protocol, i think they proposed something
>similar to what you are talking about (i.e. detecting route failure before
>it >occurs using GPS).
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Mehran
>>
>>>>>
>
>
>---- Original message ----
>>Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:37:39 +0200
>>From: [email-masked]
>>Subject: Fw: [manet] Re : Energy Efficiency in Routing Protocols
>>To: [email-masked]
>>
>>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:49:07 +0200

yeah, that sounds like the same conclutions I made. Has anyone tried to
predict the link break on basis of both GPS and Signal Strength?? A
combination of them both maybe can be a good approximation of the world
around the node.. Just a thought...

regards calle

Calle:

On flat terrain, the GPS measurement is valuable, and it works well.
However, most of the time, terrain effects will render the absolute
distance almost useless UNLESS you take the local topography into
account.  So if you have a topographical map of the area, you could
probably make this work.  The other problem is that GPS takes a lot of
power, and the signal path computations take a lot of power.  In the
case of battery-powered routers, this would be another problem with that
approach.

>              <snarendran86@gma
To

cc

Subject

--
Lawrence MacIntyre  [email-masked]  Oak Ridge National Laboratory
 865.574.8696  Cyber Space and Information Intelligence Research Group
   SIPRNet: [email-masked]  ICMail: [email-masked]