Subject: [manet] manet-iana WG Last Call: site-local address and UDP only

From: Teco Boot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:28:02 +0200

Hi Ian,

You request a site-local multicast address. I cannot find any usage of it in
the current I-Ds. Do we need this? Or always perform hop-by-hop forwarding
using a link-local address? I think the latter is used by OLSRv2 and DYMO
protocols, but I can miss something.

You also do not request an IP protocol number. Maybe I missed a discussion
before and the outcome could be using UDP only, (may be TCP also). I cannot
find any reference. Using UDP checksum is a reason. 

Regards, Teco

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:52:25 +0530

*Site scoped muilticast

OLSRv2 & DYMO are not currently sending any site-scoped multicast messages.

SMF does discuss briefly discuss site-scoped multicast messaging.

This was discussed in a few meetings and on the list. The consensus
was that we should allocate the site-scoped multicast address, in
addition to the link-local.

I personally think that it would be useful to have a well-known IP
address for addressing MANET routers greater than one IP hop.

The thought is that we should allocate this now, so that we can start using it.

*IP protocol number

UDP is the mode of transport the protocols we've specified.

Ian