Subject: [manet] Re: [Manet-dt] Review Request

From: Philippe Jacquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 22:46:52 +0200

Hello,

About SMF, I am asking some questions for clarification

I don't understand very well the purpose of the protocol. Maybe this is 
because I don't have a clear view of its application context.

Is SMF intended to be the only routing protocol running in a network or 
will it run together with a unicast protocol?

Best regards,

Philippe

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Justin Dean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:08:57 -0400

SMF is designed such that is may run in a stand alone mode where only
multicast routing is required or it can be run alongside a unicast protocol
(either sharing information or not).  In the past there have been some
implementations of OLSR which allow for encapsulating packets and using the
s-mpr forwarding tree to disiminate the packets to all nodes in the network.
This solution works for some networks but was tied to the running of OLSR.
SMF takes away that requirement and allows for multicast routing which can
be independent of what unicast routing protocol may or may not be running on
the network.  

One application which may help understand the usage might be emergancy
response teams using wireless VIP to communicate with others who are close
without any specific need for point to point communication.

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: Philippe Jacquet [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:47 PM
Cc: 'manet'; [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] Re: [Manet-dt] Review Request

Hello,

Is SMF intended to be the only routing protocol running in a network or will
it run together with a unicast protocol?

Best regards,

Philippe

---

From: Philippe Jacquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:44:53 +0200

A network with never a call to unicast routing? Do you have an example 
of this?

Philippe

Justin Dean a écrit :
> Manet-dt mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet-dt
> 
>

---

From: Teco Boot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:17:24 +0200

> A network with never a call to unicast routing? Do you have an example

[Teco] 
In military and public safety / emergency response networks, situational
awareness is the primary application. Most of these applications are
multicast only. For voice, netted voice (push-to-talk) is used, also
multicast only. Some applications use unicast for signaling, but this could
introduce server dependency which is not always acceptable. Some think
"always not acceptable".
Unicast support is secondary.
Background: current infrastructures use single hop broadcast type radios and
data over these radios is broadcast / multicast by nature. Newly designed
infrastructures inherit the characteristics.

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 06:22:20 -0700

Teco,

I don't disagree that multicast is important, but I think
you would have to agree that other uses require careful
consideration.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

> From: Teco Boot [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 5:17 AM
> To: 'Philippe Jacquet'; 'Justin Dean'
> Cc: 'manet'
> Subject: RE: [manet] Re: [Manet-dt] Review Request
> 
> 
> Philippe wrote: