Subject: [manet] Encoding prefix length in PacketBB

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:22:38 +0200

> 6.1. Address Block TLV Specification
> 
> 
>    +----------------------+------+--------+----------------------------+
>    |         Name         | Type | Length | Value                      |
>    +----------------------+------+--------+----------------------------+
>    |     PREFIX_LENGTH    |   0  | 8 bits | Indicates that the address |
>    |                      |      |        | is a network address,      |
>    |                      |      |        | rather than a host         |
>    |                      |      |        | address.  The value is the |
>    |                      |      |        | length of the              |
>    |                      |      |        | prefix/netmask.            |
>    +----------------------+------+--------+----------------------------+

I think the text should say that the value is the length of the prefix 
(or the netmask) in bits, specifically not in octets.  It's not good to 
be silent about this, easily leads to confusions.

>    An address in an address block without an associated PREFIX_LENGTH
>    TLV may be considered to have a prefix length equal to the address
>    length in bits (i.e. address-length times 8).

I agree.

Alex

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet