Subject: [manet] SMF: Packet ID & Sequencing

From: "Joseph Kopena" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:08:21 -0400

I preface by saying that I didn't totally follow all of the concerns
raised in today's SMF DPD/ID discussion.  However, I wanted to echo
Joe Macker's comments about not trusting IP implementations' packet
IDs and sequencing.

My group has (successfully) used SMF (NRL implementation) in several
projects, including deployed products.  The biggest problems we've
encountered were due to poor packet sequencing on different versions
of the Windows and Linux kernels.  This was a large hurdle for
platforms on which we could not readily enable nrlsmf's resquencing.
Notably, even if newer kernels are better behaved (they seem to be),
PDA, embedded, and ruggedized platforms will remain problematic in
this regard for some time.  Avoiding these issues or countering them
directly (resequencing or hashing) are important goals.

Thx

-- 
- joe kopena
  secure wireless agent testbed
  drexel university

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet