Subject: [manet] 802.11 PCI card in ad-hoc demo mode

From: "Ulrich Herberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:10:00 +0100

Hi,

I need a 802.11 PCI card for a MANET testbed. Can anyone of you
recommend me a decent (but not overpriced) adapter which runs smoothly
under Linux, and is capable of running in monitor and pseudo -IBSS
(i.e. ad hoc demo) mode? It should also be able to run as a software
access point.

I heard that the Atheros chipset might be a good choice, but I am not
sure that every card equipped with that chipset has all the
above-mentioned capabilities.

Thanks!
Ulrich

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: elektra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:26:25 +0300

Hi -

currently Atheros is the best choice. If you see Super-G and XR (Extended 
Range) advertised on the package it is a Atheros card. 

Make sure you are using a recent version of the Madwifi driver.

cu elektra

---

From: "Ulrich Herberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:03:46 +0100

Hi Elektra,

thanks for your reply. Are all network adapters equipped with an
Atheros chipset equal in terms of functionality? I mean, can I buy any
Atheros card and still count on the ad-hoc demo mode?

Regards,
Ulrich

---

From: elektra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:31:15 +0300

Hi -

> Atheros chipset equal in terms of functionality?

No. Older chipsets don't support XR and Super-G - but these are really old and 
you won't find them if you buy new cards. Some chipsets support 802.11abg, 
others only 802.11bg. I have no experience with 802.11n chipsets manufactured 
by Atheros so far.

> I mean, can I buy any 

AFAIK - yes. As it is mostly a software defined radio. The biggest 
disadvantage of Atheros is very high CPU and interrupt load. You should 
consider that if you put these cards in embedded low cost APs with slow CPUs. 

Since you are going to use PCI-Cards this shouldn't be an issue, presuming 
that you use PCs that are younger than 8 years.

cu elektra