Subject: [manet] MANET Area Identifier - TLV & Functionality

From: Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:41:39 +0530

I wrote up a small I-D (draft-chakeres-manet-manetid-00.txt)  
specifying a TLV to administratively identify a particular MANET  
routing area.

The idea is to enable a concept similar to OSPF areas, where  
different administrative routing regions are defined.

I'd like to start some discussion on the TLV itself and the  
functionality that should/must be included in NHDP, OLSRv2, and DYMO.

I'd like your opinion:

Regarding the TLV, do you think the MANET area ID should be  
restricted to packets? Or messages?

Regarding functionality, given MANETs' expected operating conditions  
(e.g. wireless) - containing or otherwise administratively blocking  
devices from receiving MANET routing protocol packets is likely  
infeasible. What is the best method to control propagation of routing  
control messages for our protocols? What must be included in the  
current specifications to make this a reality?

There are lots of other issues in this space, please feel free to  
bring them up in this thread or another more specific thread.

Thanks.
Ian Chakeres

Note: This topic is on the agenda for the WG meeting next week in  
Vancouver.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Joseph Kopena" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:14:32 -0500

> restricted to packets? Or messages?

Hi Ian & everyone,

I can foresee potential uses for MANET_ID in address block TLVs.  An
example would be reporting on the area of other nodes.  The draft
seems to allow this, is there a motivation to disallow it?

Thx

-- 
- joe kopena
  right here and now

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:30:17 -0800

Ian,

I wonder if there is overlap with the autoconf wg in
terms of what exactly constitutes a MANET identifier,
since that is where the MANET Architecture work is
taking place?

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked] 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ian Chakeres [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:12 AM
> To: manet
> Subject: [manet] MANET Area Identifier - TLV & Functionality
>

---

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:50:09 -0000

> restricted to packets? Or messages?

This pre-supposes that the MANET area ID is the right solution.
Before taking that step, I would want a statement of what the
problem is, and consideration of whether alternative solutions
(for example using address prefixes) are more appropriate. For
this reason I'm also not sure if Autoconf, rather than Manet,
isn't the right home for this.

(If we get to that point, the specific answer to your question is,
I'm fairly confident, messages. But we're not at that point yet.)

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************