Subject: [manet] #9: Reserved value for AODVv2 SeqNum -- is it necessary

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 20:25:02 -0000

#9: Reserved value for AODVv2 SeqNum -- is it necessary

 From Henning Rogge on October 22:

 >> The value zero (0) is reserved to indicate that the !SeqNum
 >> for a destination address is unknown.

 > I think its a REALLY bad habit to define some crazy rules for sequence
 > numbers. All generated DYMO message will have sequence numbers, so if
 > a node remembers another node and its addresses, it also remembers the
 > sequence number.

  Whether or not to specify a reserved !SeqNum is not a trivial issue.
  With recent revisions, it is now feasible to conduct a Route Discovery
  cycle (RREQ / RREP) without need for indicating that a !SeqNum is
  invalid, and there do not seem to be any other instances in the current
  specification where a !SeqNum has to be reported as invalid.

  If there is to be a reserved value for !SeqNum, it seems that 0 (zero)
  is a good choice, so that rollover skips from 65535 to 1 bypassing the
  reserved value of zero.

-- 
----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:                        |      Owner:  Charlie Perkins
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  defect                |  Milestone:
 Priority:  minor                 |    Version:
Component:  dymo                  |   Keywords:  Sequence number management
 Severity:  Active WG Document    |
----------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/9>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>

---

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:27:20 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 >  specification where a !SeqNum has to be reported as invalid.

 It will be not necessary but may be used by router's processing checks,
 >  is a good choice, so that rollover skips from 65535 to 1 bypassing the

 I agree

-- 
----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]       |       Owner:  Charlie Perkins
     Type:  defect                      |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                       |   Milestone:
Component:  dymo                        |     Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document          |  Resolution:
 Keywords:  Sequence number management  |
----------------------------------------+------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/9#comment:1>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>