Subject: [manet] #10: Reporting multiple broken routes whose metric types are different

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 20:54:52 -0000

#10: Reporting multiple broken routes whose metric types are different

 Currently, RERR messages carry a single !AddrBlk.  The Metric Type of the
 addresses in the !AddrBlk is specified in the !MetricType Message TLV, so
 all addresses in the RERR !AddrBlk have the same address type.

 If the route table has routes from the same network interface with
 unequal Metric Types, then a broken link from that interface could well
 require reporting broken routes with unequal Metric Types.  There are
 at least two solutions to this problem.

 i) Multiple RERR messages.  This is the more expensive solution if
 measured
 by cost of using the network media.

 ii) New Metric Type AddrTLV, and allow multiple !AddrBlks in the RERR.

 Since a goal of reactive protocols is to minimize network congestion, and
 solution (ii) seems quite straightforward, it is proposed to be included
 as an enhancement of RERR functionality.

-- 
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  Charlie Perkins
     Type:  defect                 |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                  |  Milestone:
Component:  dymo                   |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document     |   Keywords:  RERR, alternate metrics
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/10>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>