Subject: [manet] AODV RFC "local repair" Interpretation

From: Andrew Hardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:29:02 +0100

My impression from reading the AODV RFC is that "local repair", if
configured, is intended to be initiated
just for failing to send a data packet.

I would very much like to know if others feel there is a common view on
the interpretation/intention?

Andrew

In more detail:

Some have suggested the RFC is not 100% clear on this, and could be
interpreted either way, but that the sentence "that 'data' packets
should be buffered", seems to indicate the Local Repair only applies for
data packets.

Some think this makes sense, since the case where a RREP packet is lost
is handled by the source node initiating a new route discovery, after
the given timeout. Other statements in the RFC, e.g. regarding
precursor, also make more sense when applied to the "data packets only"
application of Local Repair.

________________________________
Important Notice: the information in this email and any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to an intended recipient, you should delete it from your system immediately without disclosing its contents elsewhere and advise the sender by returning the email or by telephoning a number contained in the body of the email. No responsibility is accepted for loss or damage arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was sent. The views contained in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Liverpool John Moores University.