Subject: [manet] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-adamson-elasticmcast-00.txt

From: Brian Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:57:58 -0500

Hello,

I submitted an Internet Draft for the Elastic Multicast group-specific extension to SMF and will be providing a short overview at the MANET WG meeting on Thursday.

The draft is available at:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-adamson-elasticmcast-00.txt 

and an easier-to-read PDF version is also posted as:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-adamson-elasticmcast-00.pdf

The abstract is as follows:

Abstract:
  This document describes an Internet Protocol (IP) multicast routing
  protocol suitable for dynamic network environments including mobile
  wireless.  To handle high dynamics, this routing mechanism uses
  redundant forwarding, based upon the Simplified Multicast Forwarding
  (SMF) approach of [RFC6621], while converging to regular multicast
  distribution trees where or when the network becomes relatively
  stable.  The rationale is that intermittent connectivity directly
  affects the ability of routers to synchronize on their view of the
  network, thus making it difficult to converge on efficient
  distribution trees, while network wide broadcast may be prohibitively
  expensive for relatively sparse groups.  A hybrid approach, called
  Elastic Multicast, is specified which dynamically switches between
  limited scope broadcast and tree path forwarding independently at
  each node.  The trees created during stable periods and portions of
  the network are pruned from the SMF efficient flooding mesh.