Subject: [manet] #28 (aodvv2): Routers with multiple interfaces

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 21:18:29 -0000

#28: Routers with multiple interfaces

 (Thomas Clausen) It seems that the protocol does not support routers with
 multiple interfaces. ...

 {{{
                 Multi-homing is difficult unless the sequence number is
         expanded to include the AODVv2 router's IP address as well as
 SeqNum.
         Otherwise, comparing sequence numbers would not work to evaluate
         freshness.  Even when the IP address is included, there isn't a
 good
         way to compare sequence numbers from different IP addresses, but
 at
         least a handling node can determine whether the two given sequence
         numbers are comparable.  If the route table can store multiple
 routes
         for the same destination, then multi-homing can work with sequence
         numbers augmented by IP addresses.
 }}}

         Worse, though, after reading this paragraph in the applicability
 statement, I actually still do not understand if this protocol can - or,
 can not - be used on routers with multiple interfaces.

         The applicability statement, also, reads:

 {{{
         AODVv2 supports routers with multiple interfaces, as long as
         each interface has its own (unicast routeable) IP address; the
         set of all network interfaces supporting AODVv2 is
         administratively configured in a list (namely, AODVv2_INTERFACES).
 }}}
         which seems to be at odds with the previously quoted paragraph.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-manet-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  aodvv2       |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG    |   Keywords:
  Document               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/28>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:48:18 -0700

Hello folks,

AODVv2 does support multiple interfaces.  Multi-homing is a separate
issue from supporting multiple interfaces.

>  (Thomas Clausen) It seems that the protocol does not support routers with

....

>    expanded to include the AODVv2 router's IP address as well as Seqnum.
>    freshness.  Even when the IP address is included, there isn't a good
>    way to compare sequence numbers from different IP addresses, but at
>    numbers are comparable.  If the route table can store multiple routes

The paragraph preceding this one in the draft provides context
for this, making clear that this paragraph's discussion specifies
that AODVv2 does not provide multi-homing for subnets.  I will
move the discussion about what is needed for multi-homing into
an appendix (not normative), for the purpose of assisting future
designers of derivative reactive protocols.  This should eliminate
the confusion.

Regards,
Charlie P.