Subject: [manet] #38 (aodvv2): difficulty to do security, in case messages are mutable

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 21:41:41 -0000

#38: difficulty to do security, in case messages are mutable

 {{{
         The most important security mechanisms for AODVv2 routing are
         integrity/authentication and confidentiality.

         In situations where routing information or router identity are
         suspect, integrity and authentication techniques SHOULD be
         applied to AODVv2 messages.  In these situations, routing
         information that is distributed over multiple hops SHOULD also
         verify the integrity and identity of information based on
         originator of the routing information.
 }}}

 This is really difficult to do, in case messages are mutable in-transit,
 which appears to be the case for this protocol?  I think that this
 issue of mutable messages deserves being called out explicitly in this
 section, especially if there are known or recommended ways of handling
 this (as is the case, for example, in the security considerations
 section of RFC5444 regarding the mutable header fields for
 hop-count/hop-limit of messages.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-manet-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  aodvv2       |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG    |   Keywords:
  Document               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/38>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>