Subject: [manet] Thoughts on DLEP with Mac802.11

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 08:58:42 +0200

Hi,

I am still working on building a full DLEP-capable radio with Mac80211
hardware.

The problem is, as some of us discussed in London, that Adhoc mode of
Mac802.11 does not have enough mac-addresses in the header, so it cannot
be used for bridging easily.

Yes, I got it working with some "creative" mac address scheme and an
OpenVSwitch based bridge.

Yes, Stan was right that this is ugly as hell.

But luckily I found a replacement... 802.11s!

802.11s use 5/6 mac addresses per frame, so you can easily bridge
ethernet frames through a 802.11s wireless connection. It is also full
"adhoc" without any master node. AND it doesn't try to do a global TSF
synchronization as Adhoc mode is doing.

There is a setting for 802.11s called "mesh_fwding" in Linux (it is also
part of the 802.11s standard document, no Linux specifics involved).

If you set this parameter to '0' the mesh node is not allowed to forward
on layer-2 anymore, both protocol traffic and user traffic.

If you set this parameter to '0' on ALL nodes of the mesh, you get a
better Adhoc mode without the problems of 802.11s (the meshing).

What do you think?

Henning Rogge

-- 
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
Fraunhofer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-961,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de

---

From: "A .Riley Eller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 00:31:13 -0700

Wouldn't that still produce mesh management frames, link tracking, and
benefits like mesh beacon collision avoidance? Do you worry about
interference from those subsystems? Or should that switch imply
disabling everything?

> On Jun 11, 2014, at 11:58 PM, Henning Rogge <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:37:17 +0200

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM, A .Riley Eller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> benefits like mesh beacon collision avoidance?
Yes, but I don't see a drawback in this.

Management frames are not forwarded anymore beyond the first hop, so
the overhead is not that large.

We might even be able to use the powersaving features of 802.11s by
feeding the driver with knowledge from userspace!

Henning Rogge