Subject: [manet] Protocol Action: 'TLV Naming in the MANET Generalized Packet/Message Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:04:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TLV Naming in the MANET Generalized Packet/Message Format'
  (draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-tlv-naming/

Technical Summary

   This document renames and makes minor changes to some IANA registries that derive from RFC 5444. 
   During progress of another draft (draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-multitopology) issues with current registry 
   naming practices were illustrated; specifically having different names for different TLV type extensions 
   was not allowed.  If this naming was enforced certain TLV types would share a "name" but otherwise be 
   completely divergent in meaning.  This draft reorganizes the registry naming rules and does not change 
   any protocol functionality.

Working Group Summary

   This work was regarded as a technical change, requested by the AD (Adrian Farrel). There was no particular 
   interest in the draft (for or against), beyond cleaning up the registry and being necessary to progress draft 
   (draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-multitopology).

Document Quality

   The document clearly states it's purpose, to change naming of IANA registries for future assignments and 
   to provide new versions of IANA registries to reflect these rules.  It does this clearly and with detail.

Personnel

   Justin Dean ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.  
   Alvaro Retana ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.
  
   Joe Macker and Stan Ratliff are the designated experts for the affected registries.