Subject: [manet] Review of: draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2-14

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-LCA0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:14:02 +0000

I reviewed  draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2-14 over the past few days and do not
have any major issues with it.  I think, as written, there are no
ambiguities I could find and it appear complete.  I fully believe multiple
independent implementations could be written and expect to interoperate.

I sent Charlie a list of minor typos and fixes.  The following might
require some discussion:

13.4.2 . Integrity and Trust using ICVs
Š.
The data contained in AODVv2 routing protocol messages MUST be
verified using Integrity Check Values, to avoid the use of message
data if the message has been tampered with.

Followed by 

13.4.4 . Application to AODVv2
Implementations of AODVv2 MUST support ICV TLVs using type-extensions
1 and 2, hash-function HASH_FUNCTION, and cryptographic function
CRYPTOGRAPHIC_FUNCTION. An ICV MUST be included with every message.
The ICV value MAY be truncated as specified in [RFC7182 ].

Question:
Should the MUSTs be a SHOULDs?  Are there low-processor implementations or
specifice deployments that do not require such support?

13.4.4 . Application to AODVv2  Paragraph 3

"...In this case, the RFC5444  multiplexer MUST be
instructed to include the Packet TLVs in packets containing AODVv2
messages, or MUST be selected because it always performs these
additions. If the multiplexer is not capable of adding the Packet
TLVs, the TLVs MUST be included as Message TLVs in each AODVv2
message in the packet."

Comment:
Wording is unclear to me.  Should the "or" be an "and"?  The last sentance
 in the paragraph contradics the previous two.

Perhaps: " If the multiplexer is  capable of adding the Packet TLVs,  the
RFC5444  multiplexer SHOULD be instructed to include the Packet TLVs in
packets containing AODVv2 messages. However, If the multiplexer is not
capable of adding the Packet TLVs, the TLVs MUST be included as Message
TLVs in each AODVv2 message in the packet."

Will Ivancic

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:23:47 -0700

Hello Will,

Thanks much for the review!  I will relay your list of typos to the 
other co-authors as well.

Good timing!  We are trying to finish this revision and go to Last Call 
this week.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 4/26/2016 1:14 PM, Ivancic, William D. (GRC-LCA0) wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>