Subject: [manet] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC6130 (4866)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 08:34:21 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC6130, "Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6130&eid=4866

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2016-11-15
Held by: Alvaro Retana (IESG)

Section: 4.3.2

Original Text
-------------
   o  For each MANET interface, within every time interval equal to the
      corresponding REFRESH_INTERVAL, sent HELLO messages MUST
      collectively include all of the relevant information in the
      corresponding Link Set and the Neighbor Information Base.  Note
      that when determining whether to include information in a HELLO
      message, the sender MUST consider all times up to the latest time
      when it may send its next HELLO message on this MANET interface.

   o  For each MANET interface, within every time interval equal to the
      corresponding REFRESH_INTERVAL, sent HELLO messages MUST
      collectively include all of the relevant information in the
      corresponding Link Set and the Neighbor Information Base.

Corrected Text
--------------
   o  For each MANET interface, within every time interval equal to the
      corresponding REFRESH_INTERVAL, sent HELLO messages MUST
      collectively include all of the relevant information in the
      corresponding Link Set and the Neighbor Information Base.  Note
      that when determining whether to include information in a HELLO
      message, the sender MUST consider all times up to the latest time
      when it may send its next HELLO message on this MANET interface.

Notes
-----
The second statement is already contained in the first one.

=====
>From Christopher Dearlove (author):

it is the other paragraph that should be deleted. Because the paragraph following the two quoted paragraphs, which I copy here:

   o  When determining whether to include a given piece of neighbor
      information in a HELLO message, it is not sufficient to consider
      whether that information has been sent in the interval of length
      REFRESH_INTERVAL up to the current time.  Instead, the router MUST
      consider the interval of length REFRESH_INTERVAL that will end at
      the latest possible time at which the next HELLO message will be
      sent on this MANET interface.  (Normally, this will be
      HELLO_INTERVAL past the current time, but MAY be earlier if this
      router elects to divide its neighbor information among more than
      one HELLO message in order to reduce the size of its HELLO
      messages.)  All neighbor information MUST be sent in this
      interval, i.e., the router MUST ensure that this HELLO message
      includes all neighbor information that has not already been
      included in any HELLO messages sent since the start of this
      interval (normally, the current time - (REFRESH_INTERVAL -
      HELLO_INTERVAL)).

contains the additional information in the longer paragraph, expanded to explain what it means.

Thus the resolution is to delete the first paragraph:

OLD:

   o  For each MANET interface, within every time interval equal to the
      corresponding REFRESH_INTERVAL, sent HELLO messages MUST
      collectively include all of the relevant information in the
      corresponding Link Set and the Neighbor Information Base.  Note
      that when determining whether to include information in a HELLO
      message, the sender MUST consider all times up to the latest time
      when it may send its next HELLO message on this MANET interface.

NEW:

--------------------------------------
RFC6130 (draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-15)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)
Publication Date    : April 2011
Author(s)           : T. Clausen, C. Dearlove, J. Dean
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Mobile Ad-hoc Networks
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Justin Dean <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 11:49:44 -0500

I agree with Chris, the fix is to remove the longer paragraph.

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 11:34 AM, RFC Errata System <[email-masked]> wrote:
>